Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 AM   #1
KuroNoKishi
KuroNoKishi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO
Kobo Blocked to Device connection screen

Hi my Kobo is locked to a screen: device/computer found or something like that, I'm not English and don't know exactly how the original is phrased.

My Battery runs down while reading, I connected to recharge to a Wall Socket charger and after a while I see it on with the screen you see when it is connected to a computer, the one to connect or cancel. (You can see it on attached image).

I tried to turn it off, a reset with paper clip, a factory reset with buttons, contact the assistance... None help.

It don't seems to power on/off or reset.

Since is not more under warranty I tried to open it and disconnect the battery and connect it again to see if power button was broken. Nothing.

What can I do ? Try to load a new image in the sd will help ?
(The people from the assistance told that the screen doesn't seems broken)

Is there a way to read serial number not from the sd or selling box ?
Any suggestions for OSX free hex file reader?
KuroNoKishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
When you saw that screen, did you tap Cancel? What happened?

Can you post a photograph of your Kobo, clearly showing the full screen?

Have you charged it fully overnight before trying another factory reset? Remember that you need to turn the device OFF (hold power button for 20 seconds) before doing the factory reset, regardless of what is showing on the screen.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you plug the Kobo into an Apple compatible charger, the Kobo will think it's plugged into a computer. So just tap cancel and all will be well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
KuroNoKishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
When you saw that screen, did you tap Cancel? What happened?
Absolutely Nothing

Quote:
Can you post a photograph of your Kobo, clearly showing the full screen?
Does this forum don't host photos ?
I found Attach Files and, as mentioned in the first post, attached the image but it doesn't appear with the message (nor image nor link to download attached file)
I set up an imageshack account, hope this work:
NO IT DOESN'T
well try check this link on flickr...
https://flic.kr/p/Lg1TEd

Quote:
Have you charged it fully overnight before trying another factory reset?
Sure. I also take time to contact Kobo assistance (which as first response copied back the info page from their site...).

Quote:
Remember that you need to turn the device OFF (hold power button for 20 seconds) before doing the factory reset, regardless of what is showing on the screen.
Tried.
But quite not sure about what to expect from it.
I hold power button also for as long as a minute but nothing happens. I was also thinking power button is broken.
In fact I also disconected and reconnected the battery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you plug the Kobo into an Apple compatible charger, the Kobo will think it's plugged into a computer.
Interesting. Without knowing you guessed my charger and probably also the cause of the screen appeareance. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So just tap cancel and all will be well.
I just tapped cancel.
And, as always this recently, nothing happened.

I think I will ask in the apposite thread for an image. I hope I will recover my serial from the sd card.

Last edited by KuroNoKishi; 08-22-2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo, added info I disconnected battery (thinking it as more than power off...)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroNoKishi View Post
Does this forum don't host photos ?
I found Attach Files and, as mentioned in the first post, attached the image but it doesn't appear with the message (nor image nor link to download attached file)
I set up an imageshack account, hope this work:
NO IT DOESN'T
well try check this link on flickr...
https://flic.kr/p/Lg1TEd
I can't see any defects on the screen, so hopefully it is OK.
Quote:
Sure. I also take time to contact Kobo assistance (which as first response copied back the info page from their site...).

Tried.
But quite not sure about what to expect from it.
I hold power button also for as long as a minute but nothing happens. I was also thinking power button is broken.
Holding the power button in the off position for 20 or so seconds forces the device off. This doesn't do any updates to the screen. Turning it on again should work. But, if there is a problem, the factory reset is done by:

- Charge the device for at least an hour.
- Hold the power switch in the off position position for 20 seconds.
- Hold the light button down and turn the device on.
- When either the LED flashing changes, or the screen changes, release the light button.

Hopefully that will get it going.
Quote:
In fact I also disconected and reconnected the battery...

Interesting. Without knowing you guessed my charger and probably also the cause of the screen appeareance. But...

I just tapped cancel.
And, as always this recently, nothing happened.

I think I will ask in the apposite thread for an image. I hope I will recover my serial from the sd card.
I've sent you the link to the image in case the factory reset doesn't work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
KuroNoKishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't see any defects on the screen, so hopefully it is OK.
The guy from Kobo says the same. Along with "if not on warranty send it forward and back to Holland and have it fixed doesn't worth the price"

Quote:
Holding the power button in the off position for 20 or so seconds forces the device off. This doesn't do any updates to the screen. Turning it on again should work. But, if there is a problem, the factory reset is done by:

- Charge the device for at least an hour.
- Hold the power switch in the off position position for 20 seconds.
- Hold the light button down and turn the device on.
- When either the LED flashing changes, or the screen changes, release the light button.

Hopefully that will get it going.
I tried. Nope. Also tried to remove battery to be sure it was off.
But now that I rethink on that... if the button is gone to turn off it will be also to turn on... but I really hope to sw problem...

Quote:
I've sent you the link to the image in case the factory reset doesn't work.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #7
KuroNoKishi

Strangely...
I'm try to recover my serial number from SD making an image with dd (on Mac OSX) using the typical:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=KoboBKUP.img bs=1m

But it takes forever (I had stopped when images from a 2Gb SD card reaches 3.5 Gb...)

Maybe is the SD totally corrupt ? How can I recover my serial number ?
Anyway, in case I succeed, serial number is at offset 200, how much it is long ?
Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
KuroNoKishi

In the (extralong) file I get stopping dd I have at offset 512 (hopping hex count in decimal 512=200h)I found SN-XXXA3110154YYY_1210311ZZZ

Xs Ys and Zs are placeholders for digit, A is actually a letter.

is this the serial ? all or just the part prior to the underscore ?

I will insert this on the received image and give it a try.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #9
KuroNoKishi

Just noticed... My Internal SD card is 4 Gb (the actual number was covered with an ink yellow dot on the card) see image on flickr:
Kobo internal memory exposed

I will let dd go for more time...
Got my 3,97Gb backup image

Tried SD with new image.
Nothing still happened.

Checked battery is at 4,15 Volt.
Microscopic connector won't allow me to check while it is connected...

I'm loosing all hopes.

I need to use my birthday gift from my wife for a new Kobo...
She does not work, so I would have preferred a non material gift from here (I stiil ned to pay for my gift )
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Strangely...
I'm try to recover my serial number from SD making an image with dd (on Mac OSX) using the typical:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=KoboBKUP.img bs=1m

But it takes forever (I had stopped when images from a 2Gb SD card reaches 3.5 Gb...)
As you have discovered, some of the Glo's have 4GB cards in them. These are the later devices and it was probably a substitution because they could be obtained cheaply. But, the same image was used and half the space went unused. There is thread about expanding the book partition to use this.
Quote:
Maybe is the SD totally corrupt ? How can I recover my serial number ?
Anyway, in case I succeed, serial number is at offset 200, how much it is long ?
Quote:
In the (extralong) file I get stopping dd I have at offset 512 (hopping hex count in decimal 512=200h)I found SN-XXXA3110154YYY_1210311ZZZ

Xs Ys and Zs are placeholders for digit, A is actually a letter.

is this the serial ? all or just the part prior to the underscore ?
The serial number is the first 13 characters after the "SN-". The first three should be 613 and are the numeric part of the model number. The rest is random letters and numbers.
Quote:
I will insert this on the received image and give it a try.
Quote:
Just noticed... My Internal SD card is 4 Gb (the actual number was covered with an ink yellow dot on the card) see image on flickr:
Kobo internal memory exposed

I will let dd go for more time...
Got my 3,97Gb backup image

Tried SD with new image.
Nothing still happened.
If you have another card, I would try that. Anything up to 32GB should work and you can expand the book partition to use the extra space.
Quote:
Checked battery is at 4,15 Volt.
Microscopic connector won't allow me to check while it is connected...

I'm loosing all hopes.
It doesn't sound good

One thing you haven't mentioned: Does the LED flash when you turn the device on? And what colour and what does it do?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote