Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #661
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The [And as a side-side note, I am close to releasing a KFX Input calibre plugin that will convert from KFX to other e-book formats.
Wonderful. Would you be willing to make the code available to be added to the KindleUnpack project as well?

Thanks,

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #662
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Would you be willing to make the code available to be added to the KindleUnpack project as well?
The KFX Input plugin is open source Python code and I have no objection to it being reused in other projects. I am providing the code as-is and I leave making use of it outside of the plugin as a task for others.

I am still testing and hope to have it ready for release sometime next week.

Some caveats:

The plugin is not just an unpacker. It generates EPUB content that will render similarly to the KFX book, but it won't be perfect. Because information is lost is the production of KFX the output of the plugin might not look much like the original input to kfxgen.

The code is fairly obtuse because I wrote it in a way that avoids including the KFX symbol table. I was concerned that doing that might be problematic legally.

Amazon continues to add new features to KFX so it is a moving target. The plugin will need updates to keep up with these changes, assuming that I can figure them out.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #663
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Understood. Thanks.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #664
apprenticeharper
Apprentices Against DRM
apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Laptop
Brilliant! Thanks for all your hard work on this. I just wish I had more free time at the moment to spend on incorporating the decryption into the tools.
apprenticeharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:51 AM   #665
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticeharper View Post
Brilliant! Thanks for all your hard work on this. I just wish I had more free time at the moment to spend on incorporating the decryption into the tools.
We cannot let epubor make even more money from stolen code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #666
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@JSWolf: https://www.epubor.com/faq.html#e106
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #667
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
But,my guess is that epubor stale the code for removing the DRM from KFX from Github and are now making money on it.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #668
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Yes they did still it. And how would you propose to stop them making money?

My point was "they already added this new deDRM code (and even falsely claim they are the first and only one)".

And it's just a matter of time before they add the convert part.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #669
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Yes they did still it. And how would you propose to stop them making money?

My point was "they already added this new deDRM code (and even falsely claim they are the first and only one)".

And it's just a matter of time before they add the convert part.
I have no idea how to stop them. They are dishonest. They should be stopped.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #670
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea how to stop them. They are dishonest. They should be stopped.
Quote:
eCore is an eBook format conversion core developed by Epubor, Epubor has 100% intellectual property rights of this core. You can use it as eBook converter SDK.
By making then acknowledge--and comply with the terms--that they are using GNU Licensed code.

bernie

edit

I have no problem with them using, repackaging and selling GNU Licensed code as long as they comply with the license terms.

edit2
Sorry for the double post wireless mouse had a hiccup.

Last edited by gbm; 10-20-2017 at 01:07 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #671
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
By making then acknowledge--and comply with the terms--that they are using GNU Licensed code.

bernie

edit

I have no problem with them using, repackaging and selling GNU Licensed code as long as they comply with the license terms.

edit2
Sorry for the double post wireless mouse had a hiccup.
I have a problem with them selling code that should be free.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #672
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's nothing in the GNU license that prevents someone selling software built using it. I do object to their use of the code without publishing their source code, and without acknowledgement of the original authors.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #673
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's nothing in the GNU license that prevents someone selling software built using it. I do object to their use of the code without publishing their source code, and without acknowledgement of the original authors.
There would be no point selling it if they published the source code.

But they are sleazy and should be shut down.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #674
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
After digging more deeply in the 3.14 Previewer release I found references to two Arabic fonts: Diwan Muna and Sakkal Kitab.
These Arabic fonts are now included in the Kindle for iOS app (v6.0).

Added: Also the new Kindle for Android 8.0. It appears that they are downloaded on demand.

I also see signs that dictionaries for Indic languages are coming soon, in KFX format. Currently all dictionaries are in MOBI format.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-24-2017 at 09:01 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:53 AM   #675
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
@jhowell - During your adventures inside maws of KFXGenApp did you find any references to "Preview Double Page Spread" feature?

It is undocumented and despite my diligent search I can't find what code triggers it.

I see that yj_double_page_spread kicks in when meta orientation-lock is unlocked but that only allow to display more than one page in landscape mode when page-spread proprieties are properly set in OPF spine.

I'm missing some piece of this puzzle.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-03-2017 at 05:00 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote