Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
iBooks no longer dims enough

The recent update to iBooks added some nice features but took away something very important. iBooks used to be able to be dimmed almost to total blacness. Now its minimum brightness is comparable to the brightness of the standard home screen. This was very important to me when reading in the dark.

Yes, I know there's now the "Night" theme but I'm not very happy with the white on black and prefer the way it was.

Does this bother anyone else?
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
My experience is that the dimmer in iBooks is the actual dimmer for the device (iPhone or iPad). So, when I dim the iBook and then exit the book, the dim setting is as set in the app.

So, yes, it goes very dim for reading, but on exit, that setting is still that way.

Sorry that doesn't solve your problem, but thanks for mentioning it, because now I know NOT to use the iBook dimmer.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
It dims enough to me. Granted, I never used dimmed to the lowest possible value, so I don't know how much they changed.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
My experience is that the dimmer in iBooks is the actual dimmer for the device (iPhone or iPad). So, when I dim the iBook and then exit the book, the dim setting is as set in the app.

So, yes, it goes very dim for reading, but on exit, that setting is still that way.

Sorry that doesn't solve your problem, but thanks for mentioning it, because now I know NOT to use the iBook dimmer.

Marilyn
The dimmer for iBooks used to be a combination of
1) Dimming the actual brightness of the device. I believe this was unique to iBooks and a very nice feature.
2) Darkening the background color. This is how apps like Stanza dim the screen.

In the old version, you could get the screen background nearly black. It's not completely clear if the new version is only dimming the brightness of the device or if it still does some dimming by changing the background color. In any case, the background cannot be made nearly as dark as in the earlier version. This is extremely obvious if you compare two ipads, one with the old, one with the new. I was able to do this since my daughter's iPad had not yet been updated.
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote