Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
bbr
bbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with others

Device: iPod Touch
Exclamation Stanza in iOS5... dead... - And it's back!

UPDATE: Amazon released an update for IOS5 that fixes the crash in iOS5. (But breaks stanza for iOS4, so don't update unless you plan to upgrade as well)
See further in the thread for details.

Quote:
Stanza 3.2 is working fine on iOS >= 5.0 but not on earlier versions.
Stanza 3.1 is working fine on iOS < 5.0 but not on later versions.

For iPod Touch 4th generation, iPhone 3GS upwards, iPad and iPad2 there's no reason not to update to iOS >= 5.0 (other than superstition).
Also, join the Facebook group "Revive Stanza for iOS 5":
http://www.facebook.com/groups/230548790339245/

---
This was the original post:
---

The common word on the internet seems to be that Stanza does not work in the new iOS5.
And the developer who would be able to continue and improve on it, has found a new job and hasn't done any changes to the software in a year or more.

Basically, Stanza is dead.
If you upgrade your mobile to iOS5, you will need a replacement for Stanza.

Bluefire might be an option.
MegaReader has been mentioned later in this thread.
uReader has been mentioned further in the thread as well.
All three don't come close to Stanza, or have a variety of bugs, or can't talk to calibre properly.

Perhaps someone has done some research on other alternatives, or has a way to contact the authors of said apps?

Also relevant / overview of apps:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154513

Last edited by bbr; 11-26-2011 at 03:36 PM.
bbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I can't find news of this anywhere. Where did you read it at?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I can't find news of this anywhere. Where did you read it at?
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...nza-2008-2011/
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. Looks like time to find another ePub reader.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
And the developer who would be able to continue and improve on it, has found a new job and hasn't done any changes to the software in a year or more.
I believe it was last updated in February, 2011.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
RockdaMan
Banned

So what would the alternatives be?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
ibooks, Kobo or Bluefire appear to be the only options at this stage
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've been using Stanza a lot so it figures I would lose it.

Wanted to give Bluefire a try, but I can't add books to it. I used to be able to go to the file sharing section for apps on my iPad and drag and drop books, but with the iTunes 10.4 update it no longer works. Is dropbox my only other option for adding books to Bluefire?
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Stanza has only really updated to support the next iOS version. The job they found was Amazon because Amazon bought Stanza. Maybe we'll get Stanza or something like it on Amazon's new tablet.

When IOS 5 officially releases I bet Stanza will get an update.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Stanza has only really updated to support the next iOS version. The job they found was Amazon because Amazon bought Stanza.
Sure, but Amazon bought Stanza in 2009. Stanza has had both minor and major updates since then (including a new iPad app many thought would never happen).

Always loved Stanza-it was the one app that really made my iPhone experience special way back then. I know that Neelan left over a year ago, but Marc was around at least until relatively recently, AFAIK.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
whodean
whodean began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've been using Stanza on my iPad to access my Calibre2OPDS generated catalog on my web server, what are my alternatives to Stanza?
whodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I've been using Stanza a lot so it figures I would lose it.

Wanted to give Bluefire a try, but I can't add books to it. I used to be able to go to the file sharing section for apps on my iPad and drag and drop books, but with the iTunes 10.4 update it no longer works. Is dropbox my only other option for adding books to Bluefire?
Hi aagstn,
I just tried it, and can still see Bluefire in my File Sharing Section, on my iPhone and my iPad 2. I am using iTunes 10.4 on OSX Lion, and added an ePub to them both. I am using iOS 4 on both, neither are jailbroken at the moment.

You might want to delete and re-install the app?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Hi aagstn,
I just tried it, and can still see Bluefire in my File Sharing Section, on my iPhone and my iPad 2. I am using iTunes 10.4 on OSX Lion, and added an ePub to them both. I am using iOS 4 on both, neither are jailbroken at the moment.

You might want to delete and re-install the app?
Thanks for checking. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall iTunes, but everything is working now. Bluefire is nice, but I will miss Stanza if its not updated. Glad to have some options, but will keep my fingers crossed for a Stanza update.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Sure, but Amazon bought Stanza in 2009. Stanza has had both minor and major updates since then (including a new iPad app many thought would never happen).

Always loved Stanza-it was the one app that really made my iPhone experience special way back then. I know that Neelan left over a year ago, but Marc was around at least until relatively recently, AFAIK.
Marc left Amazon in May according to his LinkedIn profile. Stanza is dead - I am dreading it myself as I use Stanza every single day. The other iPad readers I've looked aren't nearly as good as buggy, barely upgraded in two years Stanza. Which is depressing...
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #15
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredipusRex View Post
Marc left Amazon in May according to his LinkedIn profile. Stanza is dead - I am dreading it myself as I use Stanza every single day. The other iPad readers I've looked aren't nearly as good as buggy, barely upgraded in two years Stanza. Which is depressing...
Thanks for the update-Marc was always really helpful-Amazon lost a great employee if they let him get away.

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza