Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #76
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
You guys are digging way too deep into this. It's simple: I write to make money, and I'm not making any money... in fact, I'm losing money by the shovelful. Writing was a failed experiment in making a second income. So, I'm gonna stop.

And yeah, I do happen to think that piracy is adversely affecting the industry... one more thing preventing my making money. I'm not going to debate how much... we should all realize by now that that debate is going nowhere.

Yeah, it's frustrating... and not just for you. It's frustrating for me on multiple levels, because I also like to write; but I don't have time for such a time- and energy-consuming hobby that frustrates me, and doesn't do what I need it to do. And I'd also like to be a part of finding a solution that satisfies me, and gives me a good reason to write... but as the Gods are my witnesses, I don't see one, and haven't heard one from anyone else.

I took a few good ones for the team; now I'm too beat up to play anymore. Put someone else in, coach.
How do you know that? Do you have any evidence to prove it? A few links online proves nothing to me, as I said, just because its there doesnt mean its being downloaded.

You write to make money. Forgive me sir, I say this with the utmost respect. You went in for all the wrong reasons. Writing is supposed to be fun and because you have a story to tell. You want to make money thats great. Who doesnt? But dont walk in thinking youll be a millionaire overnight. Youre an unknown, did you advertise? I ask your apologies if you have but as I said, Ive never heard of you and Im into books. Have you gone out anywhere to try and get your name out? Have you done anything at all besides just say 'PIRATES' and give up? How long have you even been out? As I said, Ive never heard of you. Ive never seen you anywhere. I ask you sir, what have you done so that you can make that million? Or did you just put out a book and figure that itll work itself out?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #77
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What Library??
It's a new symbol that Overdrive is using to represent DRM'd ebooks. Non-DRM books have a tiny open lock symbol, DRM'd books have a closed lock. It's really nothing new, nor anything to be concerned about. It's just a visual representation of the presence of the DRM that's always been there.
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #78
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What Library??
One of the Overdrive ones. I'm too busy on MR right now, to look. And way too busy to work!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #79
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
It's a new symbol that Overdrive is using to represent DRM'd ebooks. Non-DRM books have a tiny open lock symbol, DRM'd books have a closed lock. It's really nothing new, nor anything to be concerned about. It's just a visual representation of the presence of the DRM that's always been there.
Well, the picture was new to me. It used to be just epub or pdf. They didn't change the DRM encryption system, but are now calling it out.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #80
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.

--- Samuel Johnson
Famous and often repeated quote.
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #81
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Well, the picture was new to me. It used to be just epub or pdf. They didn't change the DRM encryption system, but are now calling it out.
It's actually good and helpful. It makes non-DRM books easier to locate. That's a plus for some folks.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #82
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
How do you know that? Do you have any evidence to prove it? A few links online proves nothing to me, as I said, just because its there doesnt mean its being downloaded.
It's simple: I put in a few hundred hours prepping, writing, editing and proofing, preparing web pages and promoting a single book. All of that time is worth something. In return, I make less than $50 in a year off of a single book. Do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
You write to make money. Forgive me sir, I say this with the utmost respect. You went in for all the wrong reasons. Writing is supposed to be fun and because you have a story to tell. You want to make money thats great. Who doesnt? But dont walk in thinking youll be a millionaire overnight.
I never expected to be a millionaire. I hoped to make a few hundred to a few thousand a year off of this hobby. As it is, it doesn't even pay for the website. So, fine, I went in for the wrong reasons... I accept that. Writing may be fun... but the entire rest of the process takes all of the fun right out of it.

Quote:
No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.

--- Samuel Johnson
Well, there you go. Johnson says I'm a blockhead. Can't argue with that.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-25-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #83
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Its ok, it's all for the sake of debating
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. How can not buying and downloading it not be related ? in both instances no money goes to the author. So if money is the issue here, the two instances are very much related methinks.
It depends on how you look at it.

If you don't buy a book, and don't pirate it, money doesn't have to be the reason. It could be you just simply didn't want the book. If price does factor in, it could be that you simply couldn't afford it, or didn't find it to be a good enough value. Not pirating a book, and not buying it, is doing without something you simply do not find to be worth the expense (be it monetary or time spent reading it), where as pirating it boils down to simply the expense part of it. For some people anything not free is too expensive, so you may as well not even think of those people as lost sales.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #84
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
It's simple: I put in a few hundred hours prepping, writing, editing and proofing, preparing web pages and promoting a single book. All of that time is worth something. In return, I make less than $50 in a year off of a single book. Do the math.

I never expected to be a millionaire. I hoped to make a few hundred to a few thousand a year off of this hobby. As it is, it doesn't even pay for the website. So, fine, I went in for the wrong reasons... I accept that. Writing may be fun... but the entire rest of the process takes all of the fun right out of it.
The goal sounds reasonable but hows that phrase? 'You have to spend money to make money'? I figure that a few books right out of the gate will be money lost. Soon people will catch on to your name and you might have a fan base but even thats generous. Ive heard of people who havent become famous until after they died. You cant expect to bring in any sort of money if no one knows who you are or anything. Youre throwing in the towel too early for the wrong reasons.

What promoting have you done and where? You mentioned you did it but like I said, I havent seen you anywhere. I havent heard of you. Maybe youre someone who slipped through the cracks. Im human, I cant know every author out there. Or maybe, just maybe, you should consider more promotion.

Quote:
I wouldnt call you a blockhead but I do question your thinking.

Last edited by NVash; 04-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #85
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What has started is some of the ebooks offered through Overdrive are now DRM free and they decided a way was needed to distinguish DRM from non-DRM.
She must be talking about overdrive then....
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #86
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
One of the Overdrive ones. I'm too busy on MR right now, to look. And way too busy to work!
Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #87
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
They need to lower prices 20.99 for an ebook is nuts, they need to drop the DRM, they need to improve quality ( a ebook full of scan errors should be an embarrassment to them) The darknet copy's are often better quality then the ones they sell. They need to do something about the georestrictions. In another thread a kindle user wanted a book, it's avaliable in the US kindle store, but not the UK kindle store. He had to buy the book from a different store in epub format and has to now remove the DRM and convert it.

They need to make it easier to buy books then to pirate them and they are doing the exact opposite. They will learn just like the music industry did, They will lose business trying to control the market rather then adapting to and catering to it and they will use piracy as the excuse for there failed business model. Give them a decade they will figure it out...
Well said.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #88
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Err no, rather exactly the opposite.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #89
kennyc

Quote:
Err no, rather exactly the opposite.
Yep.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #90
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Where's the art in chasing dollars?
Closed Thread

Tags
dead horse, dead meat