Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
zerodB
zerodB began at the beginning.

Device: None
So! Jailbreaking... what next?

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums so please be patient with me.

I'm thinking about buying a Paperwhite, and am particularly excited about the ability to jailbreak. I have a jailbroken iPhone, and even though I don't have many tweaks installed, the ones I have are pretty useful, and l like being able to do things with my phone that Apple never allowed or intended.

But what about the Kindles? What do I do once I jailbreak one of those? A quick read of these forums seems to indicate the main reasons for jailbreaking seem to simply be for the KoReader app to read non-native formats, and the ability to set custom screensavers.

Are there any other reasons to jailbreak? I've read through the forums, and I'm not sure about some of the other tweaks and a lot of the information seems to be only applicable to the older Kindles.

So, I was wondering, what tweaks/hacks do you use on your Kindle, and why? What are your favourite tweaks? What would you recommend? What's the most useful for you?

As I say, I'm new here so please be nice, but I'm interested to read what other people think, and their reasons for jailbreaking their Kindles!
zerodB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
forum index page
click the column header 'views' -

The more views, the more likely it is being used (you have to mental account for how long the thread has been listed - over on the left side of the title line).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Other niceness includes LibrarianSync or Collections Manager -- for managing collections in bulk, especially via a calibre plugin.

Screensavers and collections are the main quality-of-life hacks for reading that I use.

But I also like having kterm (terminal emulator) available, under the hood the Kindle is a standard Linux box. Pretty much all the basic unix toolset is there, and USBNetwork lets me SSH into remote computers as well.
Yes, this is all useful at times. And if you are so inclined, you can repurpose your Kindle to do all kinds of interesting and totally non-ereader-related things. A bit like a Raspberry Pi, except it comes with an E-Ink screen.

Also, skipstone is a far better web browser than the Kindle's builtin "Experimental Browser". It does tabs and everything.
And it is nice to have a browser in a pinch.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-15-2016 at 12:43 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Other niceness includes LibrarianSync or Collections Manager -- for managing collections in bulk, especially via a calibre plugin.

Screensavers and collections are the main quality-of-life hacks for reading that I use.

But I also like having kterm (terminal emulator) available, under the hood the Kindle is a standard Linux box. Pretty much all the basic unix toolset is there, and USBNetwork lets me SSH into remote computers as well.

Also, skipstone is a far better web browser than the Kindle's builtin "Experimental Browser". It does tabs and everything.
And it is nice to have a browser in a pinch.
If you consider those as essential hacks, you may also consider adding them to the "essential hacks" section of the jailbreak index sticky.

And BTW, this thread ends that list, so stick your hacks before it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
sprite7
sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I'd add:
  1. Fonts Hack to add your own fonts
  2. Font sizes (not really require jailbreak now for kf8, link)
  3. Changing margins (a little hacky )

Last edited by sprite7; 07-18-2016 at 03:31 PM.
sprite7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
tn00
tn00 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite7 View Post
I'd add:
  1. Fonts Hack to add your own fonts
  2. Font sizes (not really require jailbreak now for kf8, link)
  3. Changing margins (a little hacky )
So I thought I'd hijack this thread as I have reached the same point here. I tried changing the margins on firmware 5.8.1 but I'm not getting any noticeable results.

I'm on a PW3 and have done it according to the values sprite7 did in his examples. Can't really see what else I should be changing here.

Any suggestions?
tn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Those are not "essential" - the Kindle will work without them.
They are more of a 'user preference' than technically essential.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote