Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Exclamation Losing books/formats is not normal.-Chaley

How about losing track of Formats?

I know better than to add/remove formats outside of the GUI.

I had a Surprise when I went to fix an ePub with Sigil.
I clicked open in the book browser, that showed epub as my only format.
Surprise: there was the same book in PRC in the folder (many of my Baen books were converted from PRC, so PRC would not be an unusual format to see ).
The DB Integrity check reports no errors.

Am I correct, that the check only tests for "Inner (file name.type) Joins", when checking for files present?

I have zero Python-Fu, so writing a tool to test for "un-expected files" report, is not within my skill set. Using Eyeball Mk I method, is (mostly) out of the question with 1100 books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How about losing track of Formats?
You know the answer to that.
Quote:
I had a Surprise when I went to fix an ePub with Sigil.
I clicked open in the book browser, that showed epub as my only format.
Surprise: there was the same book in PRC in the folder (many of my Baen books were converted from PRC, so PRC would not be an unusual format to see ).
The DB Integrity check reports no errors.
It is normal that the integrity check does not report on extra files. It doesn't know why they are there, but perhaps they should be. For example, calibre2opds puts (or at least used to put) thumbnails in there.

Do these extra formats have the correct name? Their name should be absolutely identical to the epub, except for the extension.
Quote:
Am I correct, that the check only tests for "Inner (file name.type) Joins", when checking for files present?
To use database-speak (even though the filesystem isn't a database), calibre would use a left-join and look for nulls where formats are supposed to be. It does not do a right-/full-outer-join, looking for nulls in its database.
Quote:
I have zero Python-Fu, so writing a tool to test for "un-expected files" report, is not within my skill set. Using Eyeball Mk I method, is (mostly) out of the question with 1100 books
Am I hearing a feature request?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will have to wait and find another one. I removed the book and added it back via the GUI.

I would expect that the tool would have an "Exclude or advisory" list.
So other standard filesystem (usually hidden) would not cause alarm.
Calibre optional files seems a candidate for the user maintained list.

Yes, a command line tool would be cool (enough. So as to not clutter the GUI)
Old 10-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Taaa Daaa (trumpets blow )

Take a look under preferences -> advanced -> miscellaneous and push the button 'Check the library folders for potential problems'. The function reports. It doesn't change/fix anything.

The function is also available in the the command line under calibredb. Try
Code:
calibredb check_library --help
This function is (obviously) new. It could find problems that aren't problems, and it could miss problems. Experience will tell.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I just tried the feature out. While it seems like it could be helpful, nothing I did in the 'ignore filename' or 'ignore file extension' boxes could get it to filter .DS_Store from the results. And seeing as OSX is such a big fan of that hidden file it winds up overwhelming the results...
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I just tried the feature out. While it seems like it could be helpful, nothing I did in the 'ignore filename' or 'ignore file extension' boxes could get it to filter .DS_Store from the results. And seeing as OSX is such a big fan of that hidden file it winds up overwhelming the results...
Fixed in the next release. For some reason I forced the ignore items to lower case. I was probably going to take the next step and make the filename compare case-insensitive, but I didn't, and in any event it would be wrong.

You could fix it by renaming all those pesky .DS_Store files to .ds_store. The mac file system is case-insensitive, isn't it?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Cool, glad to hear it. I certainly don't have a problem renaming them, even if OSX got upset.. problem is it will just put them back
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

That was quick
I tried on my test DB (on Ubuntu Lucid) and it found a log file I had placed there a while back.

Now to try on my main DB (XP)