Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
rszasz
rszasz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4thGen
47 books, 200 Collections (PRS-300) (SOLVED)

I'm trying to make sense of the collections feature on my new (to me) Sony reader. I'd like the ability to have actual collections listed by book order, but I'm getting every single metadata tag put in its own collection. Did I miss a setting to only use series data for making collections? Is it possible to have books in a custom order in a collection? Could I have books A,B,C from authors X,Y,Z listed in order say, B,A,C like they were published, and not have to remember which book comes next in the series, or do I have to retitle them to add the series and order information?

Last edited by rszasz; 06-04-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Tagging as problem solved
rszasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Are you using calibre? Every tag is a collection, so don't use too many of them. If you want books in your collections ordered, use the 'series' metadata, where you can set the order too. Just load all the books at once onto the reader, or at least add later only books that come later in the series.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
rszasz

Yes, I'm using calibre. I'd like the ability to have the full set of tags available for long term library managment, but not transfer them into collections. I assume this would have to be a feature request? Is there a quick way to purge all tags from all books?

Ah, it did order the books in the series correctly. DOH! and YAY!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rszasz View Post
I'd like the ability to have actual collections listed by book order, but I'm getting every single metadata tag put in its own collection. Did I miss a setting to only use series data for making collections?
First, if you sort the books in Calibre then send a bunch at one time then the bunch will sort the same way on your reader.

You did miss a setting. Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins - PRS-300/505 Device interface - Customize Plugin. Here you can enter what will create a collection on your device. In the attached example collections are just created via the Author's name.

I also went to metadata download plugins and in each Google, isbnDB, and Amazon unchecked download tags. This stops tags from automatically being added when you download metadata.

-------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_Device_interface_plugin.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	52793  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-04-2010 at 10:19 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
rszasz

Changing the device interface settings was the trick, there still are some extras in the collections page, but it's much much closer to what I wanted. Attached is a pic of my new settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyReaderCollections.fixed.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	52799  
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
One thing I am working on now is the ability to use user-defined columns to create collections. Once available (which won't be tomorrow but shouldn't be a month), you will be able to create a column (or columns) specifically for managing the collections on the device. This introduces intent: if you add a tag to the collections column, you are saying you want a collection with that name. Of course, if you use this technique, there could be some duplication of information between Tags (for example) and the collections columns.

A feature available today: you can exclude specific tags from collections by enclosing the tag in [ ] characters. For example, if you use tags for workflow, you could avoid having a collection 'To do' by renaming the tag '[To do]'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, prs-300, series