Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Ipad sync and back up

Can some lucky person with an ipad (unlike us in the UK) tell us of their experience with syncing and backing up the ipad.

Whilst I found Stanza a wonderful app on the iphone it was a disaster if one tried to put more than about 70 books on it, working at backing up for ever and preventing a full sync. Is there a similar problem with ibooks and or good reader.

I would like to store a lot of books on a ipad but wonder if it will let me
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
rootsonwings
rootsonwings began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
Disable the backup

Message Deleted

Last edited by rootsonwings; 12-25-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Delete
rootsonwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
bipsa
bipsa began at the beginning.

Device: none
ipod backup software

yes there exists some issues with backing process of iPad, because when I backed it the first time it went through very quickly, and this I believe is mostly for the few songs and emails there in it. While searching for solution I came across iPad backup software, after that I sync and backup with its help, it really made the work easy and not take more than handful of minutes, even when there are hundreds of songs in my iPad.
bipsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipsa View Post
yes there exists some issues with backing process of iPad, because when I backed it the first time it went through very quickly, and this I believe is mostly for the few songs and emails there in it. While searching for solution I came across iPad backup software, after that I sync and backup with its help, it really made the work easy and not take more than handful of minutes, even when there are hundreds of songs in my iPad.
???

the iPad only syncs, backs up any new data!

If I sync my ipad then over the next three weeks download nothing the sync and backup takes seconds.

If I download 2 apps and a book during theat time then it takes like a minute or two as it transfers the data.

doesnt matter if I have 50GB of stuff on there! or not.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Thumbs down

There is a program that will stop iTunes automated backups.

BackOff

You can still do a manual backup by right clicking on your device in iTunes.

(not sure why I keep getting thumbs down icons)
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
There is a program that will stop iTunes automated backups.

BackOff

You can still do a manual backup by right clicking on your device in iTunes.

(not sure why I keep getting thumbs down icons)
thanks, now using backoff.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
No problems synching either iPad nor iPhone 3GS here-but I never had more than 20-30 books in Stanza at any one time.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
thanks, now using backoff.
I think I'm missing something firstly, why wouldn't you want to have a backup in case of loss or crash?

Secondly if you don't want it to auto back off why not just untick the sync automatically button in iTunes?

Very strange.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I think I'm missing something firstly, why wouldn't you want to have a backup in case of loss or crash?
Many people - myself included - find that iPad backups are painfully slow. Mine takes something like an hour to do a backup, every time I connect it to my PC. This is a real nuisance.

The backup doesn't back up content - just settings, etc, so it's really of very little use when it comes to preserving anything useful following a crash.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many people - myself included - find that iPad backups are painfully slow. Mine takes something like an hour to do a backup, every time I connect it to my PC. This is a real nuisance.

The backup doesn't back up content - just settings, etc, so it's really of very little use when it comes to preserving anything useful following a crash.
That's just not true It backs everything up! Incrementally of course, I'm on a Mac is it different on pc iTunes?

When I had to replace an iPhone I did a backup from previous phone and everything, notes, photos, contacts, apps, messages etc were all put onto the new device from the backup. I have then had to do a full restore and backup numerous times on iPhone due to jailbreak related crashes and it always puts everything back on my phone.

Even accepting people don't want to do a backup why not turn the auto backup off in iTunes?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's just not true It backs everything up! Incrementally of course, I'm on a Mac is it different on pc iTunes?
It would appear to be. My iPad backup folder is only 114MB in size. Given that I have 40GB+ of data on my iPad, it clearly is not backing everything up.

Quote:
Even accepting people don't want to do a backup why not turn the auto backup off in iTunes?
There is no way to turn it off - on a PC, at least.

If you do a Google search for "slow iPad backup" you'll see that this is a problem that pretty much everyone seems to have.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Red face

Quote:
It would appear to be. My iPad backup folder is only 114MB in size. Given that I have 40GB+ of data on my iPad, it clearly is not backing everything up.

There is no way to turn it off - on a PC, at least.

If you do a Google search for "slow iPad backup" you'll see that this is a problem that pretty much everyone seems to have.
Well mine is 32 gb and the backup isn't that big but remember of course it doesn't do an actual backup of music books movies apps etc as they are already on your system so it just records the fact they were on their! So it is actually a full backup your 114mb is only part of it the rest of the 40gb is in your books, videos etc folders.

If you were to backup your iPad now then force it into restore mode and sreinstall the os thus removing everything a restore from previous backup would then restore it to exactly as it is now.

Basically when device is connected in iTunes click on the device icon and I can under the summary tab untick 'open iTunes when this iPad is connected' then when you connect the device nothing will happen. Then when you open iTunes the device will show up but it won't sync or do any backups then unless you actually click on 'sync'
Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well mine is 32 gb and the backup isn't that big but remember of course it doesn't do an actual backup of music books movies apps etc as they are already on your system so it just records the fact they were on their! So it is actually a full backup your 114mb is only part of it the rest of the 40gb is in your books, videos etc folders.
Sorry to be dense, but I'm afraid you've lost me there.

Most of the content of my iPad is video. I drag it directly from Windows Explorer onto the iPad in iTunes; it's never in my PC iTunes library. If I were to subsequently delete that video from its original location on my PC, then from what you're saying, it could not get restored from my iPad backup, because the backup doesn't contain a copy of the video itself, right? That's what I mean when I say that the backup doesn't backup the contents of the iPad.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry to be dense, but I'm afraid you've lost me there.

Most of the content of my iPad is video. I drag it directly from Windows Explorer onto the iPad in iTunes; it's never in my PC iTunes library. If I were to subsequently delete that video from its original location on my PC, then from what you're saying, it could not get restored from my iPad backup, because the backup doesn't contain a copy of the video itself, right? That's what I mean when I say that the backup doesn't backup the contents of the iPad.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you.
Ah that makes sense you see no backup can restore a file if you go to the file and delete it!

But your backup data has the location of that file so it will back it up to your iPad. Eg if you delete it from your iPad then you stillhvae another copy, a 'backup' if you will. I u derstand that it's your primary copy but as far as theiPad is concerned the file stored on your pc IS the backup as you can restore your iPads deleted file from it.

When I backup my pc hard drive to an external HD it's the same thing! If I then navigate to the external drive and delete a file the. Of course I couldn't back it up.

Yourcomputer is your backup device for your iPad, if you then delete things from your backup then of course you can't back up.

Basically assuming you don't do that then as of right now your computer contains a backup of everything on your iPad.. Correct? This of course saves you having to have all of your video files stored on your pc twice! Once in iTunes as well as it's original place.

You do have full backup facility it just isn't all stored in one folder, it's all stored on one computer.

Last edited by stustaff; 06-05-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah that makes sense you see no backup can restore a file if you go to the file and delete it!

But your backup data has the location of that file so it will back it up to your iPad. Eg if you delete it from your iPad then you stillhvae another copy, a 'backup' if you will. I u derstand that it's your primary copy but as far as theiPad is concerned the file stored on your pc IS the backup as you can restore your iPads deleted file from it.
I was assuming, you see, that an iPad backup was like a backup of my hard disk - that it actually made a physical copy of the data. From what you're saying, though, it doesn't. The backup simply says "your iPad contains a copy of file 'x' which is at such-and-such a location on disk", and then, when you restore it, it copies file 'x' from its original location on disk. Is that correct?

Thanks for the explanation - that makes more sense now.