Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
DR800S: Reasons for PDF-Zoom function (was: ePub bug?)

Recently I checked out the ePub-version of a german newspaper, the only one I know publishing in ePub.

The ePub files have a special structure: First there's a bitmap of the whole newspaper page (unreadable, because of the size, but you get a feeling for "what the original page looked like"). Then the arcticles follow in text format with the article pictures.

A test-issue can be downloaded here.

On my Sony PRS-300 the file displays fine. But the DR800S "eats" the page breaks after the initial intro-page and no article can be read. To get a better impression, I've enclosed pictures of the DR800S displaying the file.

The ePub itself is valid, I validated using the online Threepress Validator.

Other ePubs so far are fine. Does anyone with a DR800S also have some strange results in displaying some ePub files?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dr800S_epub1.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	45254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800S_epub2.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	45255   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800S_epub3.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	45256  

Last edited by DeReader; 02-11-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Changed thread title
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Have you raised it a an issue with irex?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is a scanned image of the page. After that comes the text.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Looks awfully familiar to the bug I saw with image sizing on the iRex emulator image. Does it respect the page breaks if you use a medium font?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
I tried your EPUB here internally on our development version and there it works correctly. I'm not sure what causes this bug, but at least we know it will be solved by the next firmware update.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
I tried your EPUB here internally on our development version and there it works correctly. I'm not sure what causes this bug, but at least we know it will be solved by the next firmware update.
Since you from Irex are here, I would like to ask a question. What are you plans for PDF zoom and annotations for the DR 800?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Since you from Irex are here, I would like to ask a question. What are you plans for PDF zoom and annotations for the DR 800?
The new firmware release of DR1000S has PDF zoom and scribble. No final decision has been made regarding DR800S(G) for these features.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
The new firmware release of DR1000S has PDF zoom and scribble. No final decision has been made regarding DR800S(G) for these features.
I don't want DR1000. It's not good for casual reading. It's big, the battery doesn't last that much and it will be inferior to devices like Que or Skiff. And it's quite ugly, but here it's not a beauty contest. It's a good tool for professionals, not for casual readers. And it's damn expensive (also DR800 is quite expensive, but I'm not commenting on that yet). So, please stop crippling the DR800 just because you want better sales for the DR1000. There are similiar devices on the market (hint: Sony), which are in the DR800 pricerange, have almost the same screen size and HAVE pdf zoom (I suppose annotation also). So what is the real reason for not having pdf zoom and annotation? Marketing the DR1000? Not enough time for implementation? No support from Adobe or problems with Adobe?

Also, the DR800 has the potential to be a great device and I would of bought it weeks ago if (1) it had pdf zoom and maybe annotation OR (2) it would of been 100€ cheaper

Last edited by catharsis; 02-10-2010 at 05:22 AM.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
Matthijs
Groupie

There are no technical reasons not to support zoom on the DR800.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #10
Matthijs
Groupie

BTW: what is your use-case for zooming?
If you're reading books, reflow will work much nicer than zoom.

(maybe we should split this into a new topic?)
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
of course reflow works better on text, but when the document has formulas and graphs, reflow messes everything. btw, don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend anyone, I still think DR800 is an excellent device, but it can be much better with the addition of 2 simple things (also, the price is not justified without zoom and annotation). So, should we make a different topic about zoom and annotation?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Matthijs,

Did you try viewing the EPUB at different font size settings? Kolenka found a bug where image dimension properties are ignore if the font size is not set to medium:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...397#post776397
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
akey
akey began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ...
Adding my two cents in on PDF zoom since it was brought up:

I will buy a DR800 with PDF zoom and annotations. I will not buy a DR800 without it. Neither will anyone that I know in the scientific community. The lack of either of these features will not inspire me to buy a DR1000.

My use case is PDFs with heavy usage of formulas and figures(physics books, papers).
akey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
BTW: what is your use-case for zooming?
If you're reading books, reflow will work much nicer than zoom.

(maybe we should split this into a new topic?)
I would say, in general, the use case would be the same as on the Sony 900. You may not completely agree with the use case, but your key competitor has the feature and it puts you at a disadvantage. I don't personally read a lot of technical documents, but I do read a fair number of business documents that also benefit from a zooming feature in order to keep tables, charts etc functional.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
of course reflow works better on text, but when the document has formulas and graphs, reflow messes everything.
This is your casual reading?
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote