Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
New York Times- "Microsoft and HP to Debut Courier Tomorrow"

NYT says "sources close" to Steve Balmer and in the know about his address tomorrow have reveiled to them that Courier will be shown and is to be available by mid-year

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...veal-slate-pc/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I just found the same basic info on Engadget as well...this is one of the devices I am hot and bothered to see:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/m...late-tomorrow/

here is an indepth look at the Courier's UI:

http://gizmodo.com/5380626/courier-u...face-in-depth/

Love a comment on the Engadget site...a posted mentions to NOT buy into any gen1 devices and says he is holding out for the Helvetica...freaking priceless!!

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-05-2010 at 11:11 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
For a business user, this would replace the paper notepad....because even in an office environment you just don't type notes at meetings. It just doesn't look professional with executives and clients. Yet, sometimes you really do in fact need to take notes. Here is a device that could enter the board room.....and it gives the user the power of a netbook.

I can see this device replacing netbooks, paper notepads, smart phones, mobile internet devices, slim tablets, and slim laptops.

I don't see it replacing ereaders because of the screen.

The device could also be positioned for students. I can't wait until the day when the classroom is completely digital. A student with this might not even need a desktop or laptop, perhaps. could save money in the long run.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Don't know what the real product will be like. If the real world-product can approach what the Courier demo does reasonably well, then I just may have to get one. Or not, depending on what else crops up in the next few days. And no, I'm not talking about Apple.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
OMG if this turns out anything like the demo, it is my dream device!!!! I can't wait til tomorrow for more details
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
For a business user, this would replace the paper notepad....because even in an office environment you just don't type notes at meetings. It just doesn't look professional with executives and clients.
In the company that I work for (large multinational IT company) it would be unusual not to have a laptop in a meeting .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
I cant believe that.
The Hardware and Software from the Demo seem so sophisticated, this cant be real any sooner than in 5 years.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
arg, every time i see this device i start to drool. if it gets even close to the previews and is not too outrageously priced i would buy one in a heartbeat. although there is definitely something to be said for letting them work out the bugs in the first version and waiting for the helvetica.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
arg, every time i see this device i start to drool. if it gets even close to the previews and is not too outrageously priced i would buy one in a heartbeat. although there is definitely something to be said for letting them work out the bugs in the first version and waiting for the helvetica.
down Zelda...DOWN...nooooo...nooooooo....wait.......n ow easy there....and stop that darn drooling, you are making a mess!! You need to play hard to get if you want to get what your want out of MS...here, use my hanky and wipe your chin...

I have to admit that could be one of those game changers design wise...but as they say "...the cuffs need to match the collar..." because while that design looks super, and to me it has me thinking it's time for a new laptop type PC, but the UI & OS really have to work with any app you throw at it and I have a couple apps that I have to use for business. We've see many a failed device by MS over the years which looked interesting out of the gate only to flame out in short order. I agree we need to hold back and wait for that Helvetica edition. still if they have gotten HP on board, I have a better feeling about things...

Speaking of Helvetica, has anyone ever watched the movie/documentary of the same name? I was surprised in it was actually very interesting to learn of the history as well as some insight into the science of designing a typeface/font. Lots of politics as well. I bet many never even heard of the movie, I only found it after watching a documentary about crossword puzzles and Wil Shorts., which if you like words and crossword puzzles is also very engrossing for what it is, a look not only at the world of competitive crossword puzzle play but at the twisted demonic creature that is Wil Shorts of the NYT...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
That demo is amazing. If the final product is like that, I will have to come up with some reason why I need it
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I am completely with you here, Zelda. Drooling and all.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
"people familiar with the matter" now tell WSJ it's not the courier

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/01/...-big-surprise/

NYT "people" and WSJ "people" should talk to each other BEFORE they talk to the papers
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

NYT "people" and WSJ "people" should talk to each other BEFORE they talk to the papers
Well, THAT sucks!! Here I was all excited.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
justanut
eBookworm
justanut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, HTC Hero, iPhone
Tablet laptops have been around for a long time, some really slim and unobtrusive, like those from Fujitsu, and yet they've never caught on. Don't see how Micro$oft's new gadget would change that in a hurry. I think there's a paranoia that your data could be wiped in an accident, OR more likely when the blue screen appears. Ppl just trust good old paper that doesn't just go poof more
justanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

*snif*
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote