Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Top 20 geek novels

Readers of Guardian's Technology Blog have voted for the Top 20 geek novels. The list is led by:
  1. The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- Douglas Adams 85% (102)
  2. Nineteen Eighty-Four -- George Orwell 79% (92)
  3. Brave New World -- Aldous Huxley 69% (77)
  4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? -- Philip Dick 64% (67)
  5. Neuromancer -- William Gibson 59% (66)

Of all the books listed, I've read eight. Do I now qualify as a geek?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Heh. I only read 3. Go me.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
My "score" is 9 read, if you count Azimov's "Foundation" as one book instead counting the "trillogy" as 4 books.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Let's see....

On the list, I've read 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (watching Blade Runner doesn't count for number 4, I guess )

That's 8, and all in the top ten... that's pretty sad.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
...watching Blade Runner doesn't count for number 4, I guess
"Blade Runner", the movie version of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", follows only one component of the original story, and that is covered only partially. There is much more to the book.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
StuBear
StuBear began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus SL-C1000
1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15,17,18,19 - boy I must be a geek

I may have also read 16, but can't rember that particular title from the Dick stories I read. Have to go out and read the others now.

Stu
StuBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I guess I'm less of a geek... 1,2,6,7,8,15. But that's enough to make me stranger than the average bear (as Yogi Bear might say!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
2, 3, 11, 17

Stu, shame on you! Where the geek ends, the nerd begins, right?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
1. The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Great! Read them all. Actually, this was what got me started on ebooks. I wanted to know what people were talking about (there was a time when a lot of quotes, names and anectodes my friends made were being told from this book). And since I wanted it in the original language (english), I did some googling and found my first pirated copy of a book real quick.
That was so impressive that I have not purchased another pBook for myself ever since.

Another "topX" list ... I like 'em
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hmmm... this geekette has read #1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 15. I *think* I read #20, but can't remember now. I own a copy of #14, but never got around to reading it.

I find myself agreeing whole-heartedly with a number of the comments. My first reaction is "what happened to Ender's Game, Left Hand of Darkness, Hal Clement and Octavia Butler?"
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #11
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm not sure... I generally don't remember title so much as covers and contents. This is annoying when people repackage books... but I'm guessing I have not read "Watchmen" (#12) and Illuminatus (#19). The rest I'm petty sure I've read. Some, admittedly, pretty much at gunpoint, in the sense of "it's that or watch TV".
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #12
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
I read 15 so I must be a geek. But ... I don't like Buffy ... so I can't be a geek !! I'm confused now.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I know I've read at least 12 on the list; possibly a couple more. I love Watchmen and just got the very expensive Absolute Edition hardcover (now I can retire my first edition trade paperback I've had for a couple of decades).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDecraene View Post
I read 15 so I must be a geek. But ... I don't like Buffy ... so I can't be a geek !! I'm confused now.
I had also read 15 of them but I think Buffy is the best TV series ever made...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #15
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I've read 14 of them. Guess I'm a geek too !
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote