Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
AC Adapter how is it suppose to work?

I posted about problems with the Psyclone Essentials for PSP 2000, but I want to know how is the AC adapter suppose to behave?

Is the lighting bolt suppose to flash? Is the red suppose to stay solid or flash to orange? Can you power down completely while it is plugged in? Is it normal to lose the booksmarks and size fonts and page you left off on?

I may have to spend $30 on a Sony adapter since the Psyclone does not behave like I would like it too. I also have to wonder if it is damaging my reader. It says 5volt, 2 amp, and it is UL listed.

Thanks for any information.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I posted about problems with the Psyclone Essentials for PSP 2000, but I want to know how is the AC adapter suppose to behave?

Is the lighting bolt suppose to flash? Is the red suppose to stay solid or flash to orange? Can you power down completely while it is plugged in? Is it normal to lose the booksmarks and size fonts and page you left off on?

I may have to spend $30 on a Sony adapter since the Psyclone does not behave like I would like it too. I also have to wonder if it is damaging my reader. It says 5volt, 2 amp, and it is UL listed.

Thanks for any information.
I have to say, none of this is normal in my experience. The red light should go on solid, and stay on until the Reader is fully re-charged, and then goes off. And yes, you can power down while it's plugged in. I've frequently read while it's recharging, then shut it down when I went to bed, or whatever, and left it to finish charging. And I've never had the lightning bolt flash (at least not that I've ever noticed!)

I bought the $30 Sony adapter before I knew the PSP adapter would work. I've never had an issue with the adapter (Knock on wood!)

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The lightning bolt should stay solid anytime the device is plugged in. The red light flashes orange when data is being written to the device or read from the device.

You might want to try using a different charger.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
The lightning bolt should stay solid anytime the device is plugged in. The red light flashes orange when data is being written to the device or read from the device.

You might want to try using a different charger.
Thanks, actually I thought the lighting bolt was suppose to flash it does stay solid. Guess I am use to Mp3 players flashing when charging.

The red light does go off after charging. The only bizarre behavior of the Psyclone PSP 2000 AC charger is when totally shutting it off and turning it back on the bookmarks disappeared, as well as the font enlargements.

So if it charges okay it should be safe to use? I guess as long as I down power it down it will be okay too? I didn't see any permanent damage to the Sony PRS-505 so I would hope it never would hurt it. Someone else must have noticed this odd behavior of the PSP chargers. Or am I the only one that actually completely powers it down? Everone else just hibernates it with the power switch?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just hibernate it with the power switch when I charge via the AC adapter, and I have never had my bookmarks disappear, etc.
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
yeah, something sounds odd with it. I'd try a different charger. Solid lightning bolt, solid red light when charging. Light goes out as soon as not charging. You should be able to use the reader just as if it was on battery power. No, you should not lose any data.

Are you connecting something via USB? I've seen some PSP chargers have a USB mini-b attachment. You just need to plug in the barrel connector.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by tench View Post
I just hibernate it with the power switch when I charge via the AC adapter, and I have never had my bookmarks disappear, etc.
So nobody has fully turned off their Sony PRs-505 reader while plugged in the AC charger? Is that why nobody has problems losing bookmarks, and font sizes?

I can't understand why this would even happen.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Not sure why you lost your bookmarks but I think it's probably related to shutting down your reader completely rather than charging it. I never turn my reader off completely and the only time I've had a problem with lost bookmarks is when I've rebooted my reader (or it's rebooted itself).

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've switched off my 505 while under AC power. No lost info.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I've switched off my 505 while under AC power. No lost info.
When you say "switched off" you don't mean the power button right (hibernate)? Do you shut down by the menu, advanced options (or whatever it is) and shut down right? Also what charger do you have? Sony's or what brand name.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard

I used the switch at the top. I have to look at my charger when I get home. It is the 3 in 1 generic PSP charger that Gamecrazy sells.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I used the switch at the top. I have to look at my charger when I get home. It is the 3 in 1 generic PSP charger that Gamecrazy sells.
Okay, so you are hibernating it (that is what I call it).

Here is my theory after looking at Radio Shack at the Igo, they looked up the adapter I would need for the Sony PRS-505, it said to use the adapter that the Sony PSP uses. Therefore everyone is correct here PSP AC chargers work. BUT, if you actually do power it down (completely) it just screws up! Think about the PSP player (never used one only guessing) it doesn't have a manual power shutdown that you use menu, advanced options, etc. It probably doesn't understand the signals it is receiving and just clears the saved bookmarks.

That is my theory, and I am just keeping the charger, I bet they all work this way.