Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #31
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

ALL we know is that it will be under $229... we do not know FRY's final price. LOOK at the ad for FRY's on July 3 thru 5!!

Just saw that there is a price saying.. $299 => after rebate = $269. And a button for special price. which is $249. thus looks like $249 is price after rebate.

(update)Correction,

saw below that one needs to download a rebate form and post(snail mail) it to Astak. but the rebate form link is broken. no forms there.

Not Found

The requested URL /art/rebates_pdf/5834633_0703.pdf was not found on this server.

Apache Server at image.frys.com Port 80

Thus one needs to pay $249 to Fry's and later Astak will send the rebates back after getting the rebate form from post.

(kind of troublesome... can't Astak and Fry's just do the rebate backend, thus we just pay the final price? )

Last edited by gen; 07-03-2009 at 01:15 AM.
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #32
TMPoole
TMPoole began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX/Mobipocket,Astak Pocket Pro, Kindle2, K3
Rebate is showing good for today only.

Price in cart is $249.00.

Less Rebate of $30.00, results in price of $219.00.

Not too shabby.

Rebate link is broken, but you can have Frys.com mail the rebate to you.

Note that the rebate is presently showing only good for today (07/03 to 07/03). That might be a mistake, but you might want to pull the trigger today and not wait. Rebate might not get updated, particularly since you can't actually read until the fix the rebate link.
TMPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #33
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
here's the link to the reader:
http://www.frys.com/product/5834633

the rebate link wasn't broken for me, however the pdf itself is corrupted according to my adobe reader. maybe there's an open office application that can read it?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #34
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
Yeah, the rebate (PDF) is not accessible at the website and I hesitate to order without seeing the rebate terms. Also, it appears Frys.com only lists leather case being included while Robert stated in this thread that the bundle would include many other things. Which ones should I believe?
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So since the rebate form link is broken, how do we get the rebate to print to send in? I know there is a link to have Fry's send it to you in the mail, but I do not trust it. If I am buying something with a rebate, I want to rebate in hand before I make any purchase.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
It does state 'bundle pak" after you've put it into your cart

NEW ** eBook Reader (portable digital book) Bundle Pack

In the Rebate info box, there is a link that says "mail the rebate to me"

That one works.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #37
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
true there is a "mail the rebate to me"

But what if that is also not working?

also as noted by TMPoole, rebate is valid from 2009-07-03 to 2009-07-03

If we just go ahead and pay frys $249. we may or may not get the rebate but the money is already at Frys hands.

Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Rebate Info
Product Rebate: to receive your rebate, follow the instructions on the PDF below. You will need a printer and postage. No printer available? Then click the second link to receive the rebate form by .
Mail the form to me

$30.00 Rebate! Regularly $299.99
$30.00 Mail in Rebate valid from 2009-07-03 to 2009-07-03

If your item has a rebate don't forget to download it because the rebate form doesn't come in the box.
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #38
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
Given that Fry's has run discounted price at $239 in the past, this new deal ($249 - $30 rebate=$219) is good but not great. The fact that Sony 505 was on sale at $199 had set some price point in people's minds. I still prefer the EZ-Reader, but I would much prefer paying the old sale price $239 than the hassle of submitting/tracking rebates; in particular frys.com is doing such a poor/sloppy job with this promotion that the rebate form isn't even available online (obviously failed to check/confirm on their own website).

Last edited by deltame; 07-03-2009 at 11:02 AM.
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The rebate PDF is working now.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #40
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Rebate link and pdf worked for me. But says must purchase reader on 07/03/2009
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #41
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltame View Post
Given that Fry's has run discounted price at $239 in the past, this new deal ($249 - $30 rebate=$219) is good but not great. The fact that Sony 505 was on sale at $199 had set some price point in people's minds. I still prefer the EZ-Reader, but I would much prefer paying the old sale price $239 than the hassle of submitting/tracking rebates; in particular frys.com is doing such a poor/sloppy job with this promotion that the rebate form isn't even available online (obviously failed to check/confirm on their own website).

While not at the $199 price point the bunde it comes with:

This is a BUNDLE Pack and includes free 2GB SD card, card reader-writer, 200 free pre-loaded classics, and comes WITH a crush-resistent leather case, USB cable, AC charger, wrist leash, ear buds, and even a screwdriver for the easily replaceable and rechargeable battery.

easily makes it a great deal.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #42
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Good news for me...sorta...

WOOT! Got mine ordered and it's in the store ready for me to pick up Sunday morning (I live 70 miles north of the nearest Fry's and I work a 24 hour shift tomorrow). I was in the store this morning for a couple of hours checking out the various ebook readers. I was debating over the Sony 505, Sony 700 and the JetBook, reading the reviews, etc. My big thing is to find a reader that can handle PDFs reasonably well, perhaps do PDF reflow in the future, as well as have an SD card slot, decent readable screen and handle all kinds of other formats. ALMOST got the Sony 700 but the touch screen isn't all that important to me and, even with an "open box" buy at $332, that's a tad steep. The JetBook (also "open box") at $179 was tempting. The 505 was at $256 or $265, I think.

When I came across this reader (Astak EZ Reader), there were about nine of them on the shelf at $259 each. About the same price as the 505. I looked at it and became interested. On my HTC Touch Pro phone, I looked up the reviews on it, since I knew nothing about it (I did research on the others but I still agonize in the store a bit). This is where I learned about the rebate. I got excited and took it to one of the store managers and he couldn't find any kind of rebate for it but suggested that it might be effective just for tomorrow's Fourth of July sale. Darn, I thought...because I work a 24 hour shift tomorrow. Debating on what to do, I did a little more reading in this thread and hit on a previous poster's discussion about ORDERING the reader online.

So I when I got home later on in the early afternoon, I went online and ordered it. But first I made sure I was able to download and print the mail-in rebate form (yes, the link does work!). I placed my order and off to the races! The only drawback: I pay a $20.58 (insert your own expletive here) SALES TAX here in CA. So the real price to me will be $239.

This will be my first ever ebook reader.

HOWEVER....I just now found out that the rebate is good ONLY if you purchase the thing TODAY. Meaning, the receipt has to show TODAY'S date on it. On-line ordering at Fry's for store pick-up doesn't count as a "purchase" (I was surprised to find out that they just "hold" the item for you and even if you submit a credit card it doesn't get charged until you pick the item up!). Fry's won't take my credit card number over the phone to complete the transaction so I can pick up the item and receipt Sunday and I know of nobody in Sacramento who can pick it up for me today so...I have to drive 45 minutes down there to get it with 2 hours left to go. Had I known about all of this earlier today I would've bought the one in the store when I was there ($10 more than the online cost).

Then I will come back home for the rest of the night and then I gotta go back down there to work tomorrow morning. I've been shopping at Fry's for years but this is one situation that has me steamed: 1) because they can't complete my transaction over the phone and 2) because the on-line ordering won't complete the transaction for an in-store pick-up. The latter is the most annoying and most inconvenient.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #43
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
HOWEVER....I just now found out that the rebate is good ONLY if you purchase the thing TODAY. Meaning, the receipt has to show TODAY'S date on it. On-line ordering at Fry's for store pick-up doesn't count as a "purchase" (I was surprised to find out that they just "hold" the item for you and even if you submit a credit card it doesn't get charged until you pick the item up!).
Can you cancel the in-store pick-up and just order it online to be delivered? Which way (including the rebate vs shipping) would be the least expensive?

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to MobileRead.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #44
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Can you cancel the in-store pick-up and just order it online to be delivered? Which way (including the rebate vs shipping) would be the least expensive?

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to MobileRead.
Thanks! I'm glad I found this community!

Well, I just spoke w/ Fry's.com. Here is the deal: apparently the credit card info they took during my on-line order is STRICTLY for pick-up ID and product holding at the local store purposes, only. The rep I talked to said I could place the order with HER over the phone and she can have it delivered to me. However, it's a "back order" item (how long THAT is, she couldn't say)...even though they have NINE of them at the store. The shipping is free, which is good. I think it's going to cost me pretty much the same way, drive down there to pick up, get it all over with or wait God knows how long before they actually get it in the distribution center to ship out (after which would take 3-5 days via FedEx). The order on-line doesn't even need to be "cancelled" as it doesn't even do anything unless I actually pick it up no later than the store closing on the 6th. So the order over-the phone WILL result in a receipt (by email I'm told) with today's date on it. Afterward, the order fizzes out to nothingness. I may have to bite this and take the 45 minute drive.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #45
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
This is such a great deal. If I had a car at my disposal I'd total go for it. IMO this is an excellent reader.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote