Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 AM   #1
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Tablet PC as a reading device?

Even though the SmartQ 7 did not work out for me, it did get me to appreciate having Internet access along with a full blown operating system on a portable device. Having a native PDF reader is a major plus which most ebook reader devices seem to struggle with (including the Kindle DX).

So now I am looking into tablet PC's. I don't think I want to spend any more than $350, which pretty much restricts me to used ones. I see a few on ebay. I know it would be a bit bulkier than most ebook devices, but I believe the extra benefits would easily outweigh the negatives. Long battery life would be essential.

Thoughts? Besides ebay and Craigslist, are there any other places I should look into?
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If from ebay, I wouldn't count on the battery still being good so you'd likely be plunking down an extra $150 for a replacement battery right off the bat. Also, $350 for a tablet, even used, is a bit difficult to manage.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
$499 gets you a refurbished HP 2710p with one-year warranty. That's without a CD/DVD drive. And there are no hardware buttons on the 2710p for page forwarding--you'd need to use the pen or some attached trackball when reading while lying on your sofa. The newer 2730p has the needed hardware buttons. If you're reading a lot of technical PDFs that you want to mark up, you'd need the pen in hand anyway, and a PDF markup program like PDF Annotator, or a new Evernote/Foxit competitor.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
7tronics
7tronics began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (1GB); Sony PRS-600; Augen "The Book" (returned)
Options a year later

Look in these threads, a year later there are iPad clones aplenty, including the one I like and own: Pandigital Novel. After an abysmal start, there are deals available for as little as $125 after rebates and discounts on the Novel which includes 1GB and Android 2.1 and active support from Pandigital.

There are other, still for eBook reading in well lit areas it is hard to beat an eInk device. Pick your poison, I actually prefer the non-WiFi, non-3G Sony PRS-500!

Best, Mark
7tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
You can also try PocketBook 701 IQ as a tablet PC reading device.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Check out the Asus T91mt.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
if you're in that ballpark, might look into the Dell Inspiron Duo which is set to hit the market. looks very cool. starts at 550

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/d...-us-next-week/
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
MonthOLDpickle
MonthOLDpickle began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
if you're in that ballpark, might look into the Dell Inspiron Duo which is set to hit the market. looks very cool. starts at 550

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/d...-us-next-week/
The hardware..stinks =/
MonthOLDpickle is offline   Reply With Quote