Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Actually, maybe I should try it with the file in question?
Hi, Glorfindel:

Oh, hell, I can try it, although I genuinely appreciate your offer to assist. One of my guys has already downloaded it, but it's documentation-less, really, so it's hard for me to figure out why on earth it's so damn wonky. I know, already, that top-margin is ignored. But I don't know if, as Freeshadow says, it's a KF7 (.prc) reader ONLY, or...? I thought if some of my peeps here at MR used it, someone might know.

As far as we can tell, it's vanilla mobi's only, and, man, I mean, VANILLA. It has bizarro-world justification that's making the client's head do the exorcist dance, ignores half of the CSS if not more, and does NOT seem to obey any media queries, but...still investigating. {sigh}. Why couldn't she have downloaded something like ePUBReader for FF or Readium, or even K4PC, for heaven's sake?

@Free: yeah, I saw that, but the DRM-part made me think...Amazon. What you say jibes with what I'm seeing, but it's so odd. Who makes a reader that outdated, with a commercial (money) component that's no better?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Why couldn't she have downloaded something like ePUBReader for FF or Readium, or even K4PC, for heaven's sake?

@Free: Who makes a reader that outdated, with a commercial (money) component that's no better?

Hitch
Re question 1:
Because fate supplies you with a sufficient amount of stupid customers to continously give me a reason to cheer you up again.

Re question 2:
You meant: "Who the hucking fell necro-re-codes Mobipocket Reader for money!?" Honestly - no idea; and the longer I think about it, the more I believe that finding that out might cost me the next SANity point on my celestial character sheet.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #33
jack Ng
jack Ng began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I tried out SumatraPDF and it has better touch controls than Calibre.

The advance settings UseFixedPageUI = true for the best reading experience.
SumatraPDF for PDF.

Couple of discoveries:

On a touch screen, SumatraPDF is prone to accidental flipping of pages when I just want to move the page around. Ver 2.5 and later "disable left/right clicking to changes pages in fullscreen mode" which helps. But there's a older modified Ver 2.4 that turn off the page flick gesture altogether, which works even better for me.
Google for "Recommended desktop PDF reader with touch support sumatrapdf", it's in Reddit. To turn pages with this version, turn on continuous scroll and scroll up/down smoothly, or single tap in full screen (two finger tap to toggle full screen).
No more annoying jumping of pages!

SumatraPDF also didn't have an option to scroll pages horizontally, but a tablet can be rotated instead
Rotate the page within SumatraPDF, lock the tablet screen orientation in Windows ( charm bar -> Settings -> Screen -> tap Lock symbol), then turn the tablet to view properly and scroll the pages horizontally instead of vertically.
jack Ng is offline   Reply With Quote