Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #46
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did you? Did you jump through technological geo-restrictive hoops to make these purchases directly though US ebook retailers, or did you purchase the ebooks the normal way?... Through foreign (to the US) subsidiaries licensed to sell the ebooks in your country. A country that is bound by entirely different laws and entirely different contracts between publisher/retailer?
Back then yes. The UK shops had close down on us, there was nowhere to buy books in English.

Now kobo have some books from the US publishers, and they do have the UK one.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #47
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
There's already a thread on this here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193747
That's for the email from Amazon. This is a different, suspicious, email that is circulating.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #48
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
See this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=37

Looks like it's the same as yours.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #49
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Missed that one. I think it probably deserves its own thread, at least until it can be determined that it's not a phishing attempt.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #50
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
luqmaninbmore: Amazon has its own email which includes, word for word, the email that you posted. I read that BN will be able to provide credit, like Amazon, but that Sony and other bookstores would not be able to. I think that you go to that website if you bought books from Sony or other companies or if you want a check instead of store credit at Amazon or BN. I am not sure if Kobo users will get a credit or have to apply seperatly.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 10-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #51
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went to the website in Amazon's email. www.EBookAGSettlements.com

I went to file a claim and found the following information: https://ebooksagsettlements.com/FileaClaim.aspx

If you bought E-book(s) through Amazon, you are not required to file a Claim Form to participate in the Settlements. You will receive a credit in your retailer account or you can request a check.

If you bought E-book(s) through Apple, Barnes & Noble or Kobo, you are not required to file a Claim Form to participate in this Settlement. You will receive an email or postcard notice with information about how to activate your credit or you can request a check.

If you bought E-books from Google or Sony, you are required to complete an online Claim Form. You will need to provide your Settlement ID number that was sent to you in an email or postcard when submitting your Claim. You are not required to complete Section III of the Claim Form.

If you bought E-book(s) from any other retailer not named above you are required to file a Claim Form in order to receive a settlement payment. Claim Forms must be filed online or mailed postmarked by December 12, 2012

Down below is the information that you have to provide in order to get a cash award. It looks like Google and Sony users are screwed and will have to hand file for every title.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Because we bought books from these US company.
I get it but you were not suppose to be able to buy books from a US retailer. We all know that it is easy enough to get around that restriction but legally, you were not suppose to be buying from Amazon US or any other US store.

It does suck though, you spent the money and should be able to recover something.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I get it but you were not suppose to be able to buy books from a US retailer. We all know that it is easy enough to get around that restriction but legally, you were not suppose to be buying from Amazon US or any other US store.
That is simply not true.
For some books, geographical restrictions are in place, but not for all.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #54
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Sigh, never mind.

Last edited by whitearrow; 10-15-2012 at 12:40 PM.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #55
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

It does suck though, you spent the money and should be able to recover something.
Yep. Tough I paid a price I did aggree with. Nobody was forcing me to buy the book if I thought it was too expensive.
And what about Minessota?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #56
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The Minnesota AG chose not to participate. If you live there, you sue on your own, join a private class action or get nothing.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #57
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
This is not correct. Anyone can register and purchase ebooks from Amazon.com with a foreign address and credit card.

The books which you can purchase are subject to geo-restrictions, but hundreds of thousands of ebooks have no such restrictions. You might pay more (or less) than the US price, but the books can be purchased nonetheless by those with non-USA billing information.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #58
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Gotcha. I was not aware that so many books were not restricted. I have seen more posts on how to get around those restrictions then I have discussing the books that are freely available.

I would guess that this settlement is between the States and the Publishers, not the Federal Government and so the people who are protected are those who live in those States. Minnesota choose not to participate in the law suit which is why they are not able to receive compensation. I am not sure that a Federal settlement would lead to reimbursment for people outside the US.

But I am not a lawyer and I only park at a Holiday Inn
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #59
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yep. Tough I paid a price I did aggree with. Nobody was forcing me to buy the book if I thought it was too expensive.
And what about Minessota?
That logic holds for all of the books I bought but I get something because I live in one of the 49 states that sued. It would be nice to find away to get something to people from outside the US. (shrugs)
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #60
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Obviously the settlement is only valid for US residents (and for those who made arrangements to get around geo-restrictions as long as they don't "reside" in Minnesota).

Quote:
But I am not a lawyer and I only park at a Holiday Inn
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote