Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #316
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there is another important reason for an SD card: getting your data off of the device when it inevitably fails.
You should never rely on data being stored on your reading device. Load your reader from (say) Calibre, or whatever your preferred library manager is, and keep that properly backed up. I don't see that microSD offers any benefit there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #317
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You should never rely on data being stored on your reading device. Load your reader from (say) Calibre, or whatever your preferred library manager is, and keep that properly backed up. I don't see that microSD offers any benefit there.
Saves you from having to reload everything, obviously.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #318
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Saves you from having to reload everything, obviously.
That's why many tablets have an automated backup capability. My iPad, for example, automatically backs itself up to Apple's Cloud once a day, provided it's in reach of WiFi or 3G.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #319
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
The subject of this thread is not reading devices, so Calibre is irrelevant. Backups of ANY kind are valuable, and just because you do not see the value in a portable backup solution like SD does not invalidate it. Your preferred method would be fine as a last resort backup, but it provides no help at all if an immediate backup copy is needed on a long trip. An SD sure is a lot easier to take on a long business trip, and a lot faster and more reliable than the cloud. I usually travel with at least 15 gigabytes of video, if not more.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #320
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The subject of this thread is not reading devices, so Calibre is irrelevant. Backups of ANY kind are valuable, and just because you do not see the value in a portable backup solution like SD does not invalidate it.
I didn't say that I didn't see the value in it; indeed, if you look back through this thread, you'll see that I'm very much in favour of tablets having SD card slots. What I don't see, though, is why a microSD card is less likely to fail than the internal storage of the reader.
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #321
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't say that I didn't see the value in it;
Actually you said almost exactly that, you just substituted 'benefit' for 'value'.
Quote:
I don't see that microSD offers any benefit there.
Quote:
indeed, if you look back through this thread, you'll see that I'm very much in favour of tablets having SD card slots.
Since there is no technical difference between SD and microSD, then I assume that you are in favor of tablets having either microSD or SD? The only difference is the size, and the microSD size has lots of advantages, since it can also be used in a standard SD slot.

Quote:
What I don't see, though, is why a microSD card is less likely to fail than the internal storage of the reader.
I guess that would depend upon whether you were discussing something like a Samsung tablet or one of the many no name tablets around. Even with identical MTBF statistics having two copies of important data on hand is valuable. You keep substituting 'reader' for the 'tablet' that is the subject of this thread. In my case, I do not back up book files on any portable device because books are small and easily replaceable. But this thread is about a tablet, so the files are likely to be MUCH larger and more difficult to replace. So the lack of an SD slot makes the Nexus 7 useless for many of us.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #322
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Since there is no technical difference between SD and microSD, then I assume that you are in favor of tablets having either microSD or SD? The only difference is the size, and the microSD size has lots of advantages, since it can also be used in a standard SD slot.
Certainly. In fact I have one myself - a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7".

Quote:
So the lack of an SD slot makes the Nexus 7 useless for many of us.
Again, I agree, as I've said on a number of occasions in this thread. But I also appreciate that there are many people for whom lack of a card slot is a non-issue; one has only to look at sales of the iPad to see that (I also have an iPad).
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #323
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
That's why many tablets have an automated backup capability. My iPad, for example, automatically backs itself up to Apple's Cloud once a day, provided it's in reach of WiFi or 3G.
Er, that counts as "reloading".
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #324
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Just sayin'

CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #325
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Update - I've temporarily solved my video problem

Because the Nexus 7 doesn't have a card slot and is therefore unusable for my needs, I've gone retro. I dug out my old portable DVD player and will once again use it for vacations. Now I can wait for someone else to produce a quad-core 7" tablet with a card slot for $199.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #326
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Just sayin'

How many tablets can read SDXC cards? All the tablets with card slots that I'm aware of are restricted to SDHC cards.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #327
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
How many tablets can read SDXC cards? All the tablets with card slots that I'm aware of are restricted to SDHC cards.
I would think most current good quality Android tablets can. My Transformer Prime can, and it is last years model. Some people are running 64 Gigabyte cards on the Prime, but the 128GB card in this thread is the first that I have seen.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #328
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I would think most current good quality Android tablets can. My Transformer Prime can, and it is last years model. Some people are running 64 Gigabyte cards on the Prime, but the 128GB card in this thread is the first that I have seen.
OK. My Galaxy Tab 2 specifies "up to 32GB", but I haven't tried using an XC card in it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #329
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #330
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Spoiler:
Looks cool except for the noname brand. If it was Samsung, droooooolllll