Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Reading Rainbow is Back: Can it Do for the iPad What it Did for TV?

"Reading Rainbow began its 26-year run on PBS as a way to combat summer mind decay. Now it's taking the same goal to a different medium.

"What were [kids] doing in the 80s? Sitting in front of the television," explains Levar Burton, who hosted the show. "So we went where they were to steer them back in the direction of where we wanted them to go."

While television still accounts for the largest amount of children's screen time, it's not the only screen in town anymore. About half of children under 8 have access to some sort of mobile device.

Kids are on tablets, and, as of Tuesday, so is Reading Rainbow.

The new iPad app incorporates classic Reading Rainbow segments, 16 new video "field trips" starring Burton and 150 narrated interactive books. Kids navigate through themed "islands" such as "Animal Kingdom" and "Action Adventures & Magical Tales" where they can discover age-appropriate books and media. For $9.99 a month, their parents can purchase unlimited access to this content, which will be updated regularly."

http://news.yahoo.com/reading-rainbo...XBhZ2U-;_ylv=3
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Ten dollars a month is a lot for this service. Parents can go to PBS's video website for free.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like the concept. I loved seeing Geordi La Forge on the PBS show and was impressed with how long it lasted.

But, 10 bucks a month for it is a bit steep to me.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Anything for the Kids! Anything!!!

and the dogs, don't forget the dogs!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

It actually turns out to be $5/month if subscribe 6 months at a time. Still, that will seem steep to those of us who grew up with Reading Rainbow simply because most of it received it free over-the-air from PBS many years ago.

The other thing is that I don't trust rehashes of old programming. All too often, it seems like they are more interested in monetizing memories than creating a quality and up-to-date product. Given how many options there are in the online marketplace, I would rather shop around a lot first.
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Interesting concept, but the subscription price kills it for me. I'm not paying $10 (or even $5) per month for any app subscription. Not saying it won't find an audience, just that I won't be a member of said audience.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How effective was Reading Rainbow at actually promoting reading? There is other book-related content out there that you can get without a subscription, is this really any better? Most parents want their children to read, but one of the biggest factors in children reading is the parents reading. Not just reading to the kids, although that does have a lot of impact. But kids are extremely observant. If parents don't read, but want their children to read, children pick up the message that reading is something that is supposed to be "good for you" but not actually enjoyable. On the other hand, if children see their parents reading, they get a different message.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Anything for the Kids! Anything!!!

and the dogs, don't forget the dogs!
I feed the kids to the dogs. The dogs get fat and slow. You snipe them from your window. Thus is the cycle of life.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I agree with the majority that the monthly subscription is a "deal killer". I will say, however, that as a huge fan of Reading Rainbow and as a parent, I think the idea is pretty neat.

Although I never specifically looked for the books highlighted on the show, it helped to encourage me to spend hours in our local library.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
It seems to me that the best way to promote children to read is to simply read in the presence of children. Remembering not to force the reading of course.

Creating an interactive reading app sounds like curing the symptom, not the disease.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
It seems to me that the best way to promote children to read is to simply read in the presence of children. Remembering not to force the reading of course.
You'd be surprised how often reading to children has fallen out of favor with educators. When my dad was still in elementary school, the teachers all told my great aunt to stop reading to him. They were following the flashcard system lampooned in To Kill A Mockingbird. She ignored it, and dad still loves reading.

Last edited by teh603; 06-26-2012 at 09:22 AM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

I don't think it is common at all for educators to discourage parents reading to their children. It may happen, but I've never heard of such a thing.