Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
optoabhi
optoabhi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Smile Looking for a digital reader (Professional + Educational)

Hello all,

EDIT POST TITLE: Looking for a digital reader + Tablet to take notes as well (Professional + Educational)
I am glad I found this forum ...

I currently own a kindle paperwhite and have been using it since 2 years. Although I am satisfied with it, the inability to support native epub (of course epubs can be converted to mobi vai third party software) makes it a step low than most of other e-readers out there (like kobo for instance).

I am looking to invest in another e-reader, but this time to suffice my professional work and educational purpose:
  1. Should support epub, pdf, djvu (if possible as most textbooks are available as djvu too)
  2. Stylus to take notes
  3. Reasonable price (unlike Sony DPT-S1 standing at $800.00 USD)

Going through this forum, I have noticed many posts on reMarkable, Sony DPT-R1/B and Onyx Max 2. The only other one I was able to find was Good-E-Reader 13.3" device (they have their own YouTube channel).

Which one should go for, should I wait for sometime longer for some device thats going to hit a good value.

Thanks
optoabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Not the Good e reader.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Not the Good e reader.
2nd that. Their current record based on comments on their IndieGoGo page is rather poor (to say the least). And they didn't generally have a good reputation before they got into trying to develop/sell e-readers.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Let me toss out a couple of questions. Do you prefer eInk, since the options you named are all eInk? Would you consider something else? I say this because eInk and pdfs have a strained relationship, let's say. Not a match made in heaven, though it works fairly well on some larger devices.

My suggestion? With a new 10.5 inch iPad Pro coming out later this year, there may be sales on the 9.7 inch iPad Pro. I don't know your budget, but now you can get a refurbished iPad Pro with 32gb of storage from Apple for $469. Add the Apple Pencil for about $95 and you're good to go.

For pdfs, you may want a larger device anyway, especially for professional/educational use. You can get larger eInk devices, mainly from Onyx. The larger you go, the more you pay. Also, most Onyx devices still use Android 4.0.4, which may be too old a version for some apps you may want to use. Or not.

Still, I suggest looking into an iPad Pro 9.7. Hopefully, others will offer you suggestions as well. The more options, the better..
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where are textbooks available as djvu? Most textbooks that I've seen are available as PDF.

Anyway, given that you plan on reading textbooks in PDF or djvu, I would suggest an iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by optoabhi View Post
Hello all,

Which one should go for, should I wait for sometime longer for some device thats going to hit a good value.

Thanks
As someone above wrote, the first question is whether you need e-ink or you are also o.k. with a backlit LCD screen. If the latter, then you have a lot more options, including the Ipad Pro (not the other Ipads), the Samsung Galaxy Note line and the recent Tabs, and some other Android and Windows tablets which support an active stylus. If you want to take handwritten notes on the tablet, forget about capacitive-only tablets such as the standard Ipads. You need an electromagnetic digitiser layer in the screen to differentiate between your hand and the stylus, and allow accurate writing.
I understand if you prefer e-ink, as I have the same preference.

The second question is the screen size, as this has a great impact on price. If you insist on 13 inches, then you cannot currently go much under $700. In a few months, you may be able to buy used units for a bit less. If you can work with 10 inches, you have more options. If you want to buy new, check different variations of the Onyx Boox N96 series (around $400). You can also find used devices, such as the Onyx Boox M96, the Irex DR1000, and others, for around $200, depending on age and condition. Again, look for active digitiser as a purely capacitive screen will not do for note-taking.

Keep an eye on the Flea Market section of MobileRead Forums for good deals on e-readers.

Last edited by Jmirko; 06-16-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
optoabhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
As someone above wrote, the first question is whether you need e-ink or you are also o.k. with a backlit LCD screen. If the latter, then you have a lot more options, including the Ipad Pro (not the other Ipads), the Samsung Galaxy Note line and the recent Tabs, and some other Android and Windows tablets which support an active stylus. If you want to take handwritten notes on the tablet, forget about capacitive-only tablets such as the standard Ipads. You need an electromagnetic digitiser layer in the screen to differentiate between your hand and the stylus, and allow accurate writing.
I understand if you prefer e-ink, as I have the same preference.

The second question is the screen size, as this has a great impact on price. If you insist on 13 inches, then you cannot currently go much under $700. In a few months, you may be able to buy used units for a bit less. If you can work with 10 inches, you have more options. If you want to buy new, check different variations of the Onyx Boox N96 series (around $400). You can also find used devices, such as the Onyx Boox M96, the Irex DR1000, and others, for around $200, depending on age and condition. Again, look for active digitiser as a purely capacitive screen will not do for note-taking.

Keep an eye on the Flea Market section of MobileRead Forums for good deals on e-readers.
I would need an e-ink to take notes and also use it for textbooks. The size needn't be 13". Even 10" would be good enough and also is portable.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
optoabhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Let me toss out a couple of questions. Do you prefer eInk, since the options you named are all eInk? Would you consider something else? I say this because eInk and pdfs have a strained relationship, let's say. Not a match made in heaven, though it works fairly well on some larger devices.

My suggestion? With a new 10.5 inch iPad Pro coming out later this year, there may be sales on the 9.7 inch iPad Pro. I don't know your budget, but now you can get a refurbished iPad Pro with 32gb of storage from Apple for $469. Add the Apple Pencil for about $95 and you're good to go.

For pdfs, you may want a larger device anyway, especially for professional/educational use. You can get larger eInk devices, mainly from Onyx. The larger you go, the more you pay. Also, most Onyx devices still use Android 4.0.4, which may be too old a version for some apps you may want to use. Or not.

Still, I suggest looking into an iPad Pro 9.7. Hopefully, others will offer you suggestions as well. The more options, the better..
Yes I would prefer e-ink.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously, go with an iPad. There is a very good app called Goodreader that's fantastic for handling PDF.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Is there some reason for wanting e-ink? A tablet can do so much more. I have to say I agree with Jon. Most academics I know use iPads not ereaders for text books and pdfs.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I read fiction on my eInk Kindle, but you can't beat an iPad for academic PDFs. Look on eBay for a secondhand IPad Air 2 - they can be picked up more cheaply than a new 9.7" eInk device and are enormously better for this task. I speak from years of practical experience here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read fiction on my eInk Kindle, but you can't beat an iPad for academic PDFs. Look on eBay for a secondhand IPad Air 2 - they can be picked up more cheaply than a new 9.7" eInk device and are enormously better for this task. I speak from years of practical experience here.
Hear hear, this is my choice of PDF/comics device also - and there are also Apple refurbs still available, which come with a full warranty and the option for Applecare. Currently starting at 379 USD.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like I am in the minority here, but I think an Ipad is one of the worst options for optoabhi.
1. Preference for e-ink was stated several times.
2. Ipads (except for the Pro series) do not properly support handwriting with a stylus. Again, this was a requirement that was clearly stated.
3. Android tablets with stylus support (I mentioned a few above) are cheaper than the Ipad Pro, without ANY disadvantages whatsoever when it comes to pdf support. Case in point: Ipad Pro 10-inch: $650, Samsung Galaxy Tab with S-Pen: $350.
4. Good Android tablets without stylus support are much cheaper than a non-Pro Ipad and again provide the same functionality, with dozens of pdf readers available from the Play store. But again, this is not what the OP wants.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:06 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Sounds like I am in the minority here, but I think an Ipad is one of the worst options for optoabhi.
1. Preference for e-ink was stated several times.
2. Ipads (except for the Pro series) do not properly support handwriting with a stylus. Again, this was a requirement that was clearly stated.
3. Android tablets with stylus support (I mentioned a few above) are cheaper than the Ipad Pro, without ANY disadvantages whatsoever when it comes to pdf support. Case in point: Ipad Pro 10-inch: $650, Samsung Galaxy Tab with S-Pen: $350.
4. Good Android tablets without stylus support are much cheaper than a non-Pro Ipad and again provide the same functionality, with dozens of pdf readers available from the Play store. But again, this is not what the OP wants.
For what was said in the first post, an iPad is the best solution. You don't read PDF textbooks on a Reader that's not 13.3".Plus, the iPad is that much more flexible as you can read any format as long as there's an app for it. You have it all wrong.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:09 AM   #15
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Optoabhi, you heard the man - you must get an ipad. Forget my arguments above

Tags
digital paper, e-reader, stylus