Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
How to back up purchased apps for iPad

I just got an iPad as a gift and love it very much as an e-reader. I have a lot of scanned Chinese books in PDF format and the installed iBook app does not handle the PDF very well, so I purchased an app called GoodReader and love it very much. My question is just in case I later reformat the iPad (the current iPad still shows my friend's name and I don't know how to change it after he gave this to me as my Xmas gift) or anything, is there a way for me to back up the purchased GoodReader and other apps (just the app, not the book data)? I guess I can re-download the app from the apple store using the same ID after format, but is there a way to just back up the app myself on my PC before I reformat/update my iPad without the need to re-download? Thanks.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
When you sync with iTunes a copy is kept on your computer. If you plug you iPad into your computer and uncheck all the apps, then sync it will remove all the apps. If there are apps on it that are not in your iTunes library it should prompt you to move them to the PC. Once you have everything backup up and on the PC do a restore using iTunes to do it. Do not format it. If you format it the iOS will not be installed making your iPad an external hard drive.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Many thanks. Got a bunch of .ipa files on my harddrive and I guess that's the application backup.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
There might be times you forget to make a backup of your apps or had to reformat your hard drive, etc. You can download any apps, that you purchased from iTunes, without paying for it again. Apple allows you to do this.
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeiko View Post
There might be times you forget to make a backup of your apps or had to reformat your hard drive, etc. You can download any apps, that you purchased from iTunes, without paying for it again. Apple allows you to do this.
Now if only the App store gave you a list of apps you've downloaded, instead of making you look for them again.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert