Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Gaston
Gaston began at the beginning.

Device: none
Advice for the frequent traveler?

Which one would be most convenient for the frequent traveler?
I'm currently living in Chile (South America), but I travel to Canada/USA every week or so.
Which e-reader would be most convenient for me, in terms of international compatibility, fees, etc. ?

Thanks in advance.
Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
The Jetbook Lite is the only one that uses standard, user replaceable AA batteries. For any other machine, you'll need to bring a recharger and various adaptors with you when you travel.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure what fees you're referring to. All eBook readers are pretty "international friendly".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Gaston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure what fees you're referring to. All eBook readers are pretty "international friendly".
I heard the Amazon Kindle 2 charges about 5$ for 'roaming charges' whenever you're delivered a newspaper (New York Times, etc.) outside of the US. Is this true?
Also, I don't mind having to carry chargers and adapters and whatnot. What bothers me is if there won't be any 3G coverage in my country.
I've been really impressed with the Kindle 2's features, but to be honest, I don't know the slightest thing about e-readers.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Gaston

Also, I've heard people talking about the 'International Kindle'. What is this, and is it any different from the normal Kindle 2?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Gaston

Quote:
Here's just one of the many examples of someone having trouble while using an e-reader outside the US.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23479

Help?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston View Post
Here's just one of the many examples of someone having trouble while using an e-reader outside the US.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23479

Help?
No, that's nothing to do with travelling with an ebook reader. That's simply a matter of regional restrictions on book sales, which are an entirely different matter.

Unless you have a particularly pressing need to buy books while you're travelling, there are no issues here. Buy books when you're at home - an ebook reader will store an effectively unlimited number of books.

The issues you seem to be talking about here are those with 3G communications. The overwhelming majority of devices do not have 3G. You buy books on your PC from an eBook web site, and copy them to the reader via a USB connection. There are no travel issues associated with such devices at all.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
something else...unless you plan on reading large PDF's with lots of graphics, image files or anything else that are consistently in the 20MB range or higher, don't let the amount of memory worry you. Even and ereader device with just 521MB of user memory can hold somewhere around 1000 books. By today's file size standards, ebooks are teeny-tiny in size with few being near 1MB and most being in the 200KB-400KB range.

Also if you are going to be away from power for extended periods (talking a week or more) and plan on using the device more than a couple hrs/day, the readers which use AA batteries might be worth your consideration or at least a device with a user replaceable battery. Though these days flying with extra batteries can be a whole can-o-worms in itself. But my Kindle 2 International (the only 6" reader they sell now) will last me a couple weeks if I read a couple hours a day the whole time and do not use the wireless.

Most readers are in the 1-2 week range depending on how you read and the quality of the battery used as well as the quality of the devies power management (cheap readers can sometimes cut-corners here).

but if you are going to be near power at least once/week or can carry a laptop that can charge your reader via USB, pretty much any reader either an e-ink type display will do ya fine. After that it gets complicated decided which "features" matter to you most. Have fun!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Gaston

Quote:
No, that's nothing to do with travelling with an ebook reader. That's simply a matter of regional restrictions on book sales, which are an entirely different matter.

Unless you have a particularly pressing need to buy books while you're travelling, there are no issues here. Buy books when you're at home - an ebook reader will store an effectively unlimited number of books.

The issues you seem to be talking about here are those with 3G communications. The overwhelming majority of devices do not have 3G. You buy books on your PC from an eBook web site, and copy them to the reader via a USB connection. There are no travel issues associated with such devices at all.
This is great, thank you!
One last question though:
What is the difference between the 'Amazon Kindle 2' and the 'Amazon Kindle 2 International? '
Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
:
What is the difference between the 'Amazon Kindle 2' and the 'Amazon Kindle 2 International? '
No difference. All Kindle 2s are "international". It used to be the case that there was a Kindle model made specifically for the US market, with a CDMA radio rather than GSM, but it's no longer made.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
This is great, thank you!
One last question though:
Amazon kindle 2 is the USA version (whispernet only) where the international is set up for many countries wi fi services. Perhaps there are different languages available too? Don't know about that.

Ah. Did not know that, Harry, thanks!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Amazon kindle 2 is the USA version (whispernet only) where the international is set up for many countries wi fi services.
This is not correct; the Kindle does not support WiFi. As I said in my previous post, all Kindle 2's now sold are "Kindle 2 International" models.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Gaston

Quote:
This is not correct; the Kindle does not support WiFi. As I said in my previous post, all Kindle 2's now sold are "Kindle 2 International" models.
Thanks again, HarryT
Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, I referred to wi-fi instead of wireless for downloading e-books. From amazon:
Global Coverage: Enjoy 3G wireless coverage at home or abroad in over 100 countries.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, I referred to wi-fi instead of wireless for downloading e-books. From amazon:
Global Coverage: Enjoy 3G wireless coverage at home or abroad in over 100 countries.
Yes, definitely the wrong terminology, I'm afraid; WiFi is something entirely different .