Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #46
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Maybe I'll have to read this one too as having grown up on a chicken farm I can likely identify with most of it....
When I was six, we had a chicken farm. My father gave it up though, after a year, partly because of the excessive workload, but especially because raising chickens in a way that earn enough money was no decent way to treat an animal. Especially not an animal you want to eat. At least it wasn't then.

Edit: didn't mean to sound derisive (not sure if it's the right word) - hope I didn't.

Last edited by Ea; 03-26-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #47
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Was there a chicken farm craze in the first half of the twentieth century?

P. G. Wodehouse's 'Love Among the Chickens' is another comic novel on the theme.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm not that old!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'm not that old!
Me Either! My chicken escapades were in the 1960's timeframe...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #50
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Me Either! My chicken escapades were in the 1960's timeframe...
I believe you can get arrested for chicken escapades these days ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #51
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
But once upon a time those were the days...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #52
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
But once upon a time those were the days...
Not the change the subject but, you are quite the photographer. I especially like your Iceland photos.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #53
Ea
Wizard

Deleted - double post.

Last edited by Ea; 03-26-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #54
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
Not the change the subject but, you are quite the photographer. I especially like your Iceland photos.
Not to worry. Change of subject is par for the course. Thank you very much for your comment and compliment. It's appreciated - I'm still quite a beginner.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #55
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post

I thought that was hamsters?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #56
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
I thought that was hamsters?
That too, darlin'. Better watch out
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #57
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

P. G. Wodehouse's 'Love Among the Chickens'
is another comic novel on the theme.
It isn't one of his in the MR Library, but... Found it at manybooks and a mp3 from librivox
Quote:
The story is told from the point of view of Jeremy Garnet, an author and an old friend of Stanley Featherstonehaugh Ukridge. Upon meeting Ukridge for the first time in years, Garnet finds himself dragged along on holiday to Ukridge's newly-started chicken farm. From then on the novel intertwines Garnet's difficult wooing of a girl living the estate with the struggles of the farm, and the neighbourhood, to cope with Ukridge's bizarre business methods.
I have to read this one, just because I loved the other one so much. Thanks, Sparrow !

Last edited by dreams; 03-31-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: copy links
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #58
d2photo
d2photo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/software readers
The Egg and I, I have an original in this and LOVE it - been trying to find another as mine is in poor shape. Betty MacDonald also wrote some others (besides the children's books) that are also a worthy read.
d2photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #59
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It isn't one of his in the MR Library, but... Found it at manybooks and a mp3 from librivox

I have to read this one, just because I loved the other one so much. Thanks, Sparrow !
Your welcome dreams.
Project Gutenberg also have a couple of versions:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3829
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20532 (illustrated)

It turns out the text of the two PG versions are very different - I might have to read both when I find time.

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-27-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Noticed differences in PG versions
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #60
kennyc

Go Eyre Go!