Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Solution to reading books on the iPad and other backlit displays

The 2 advantages of bistable screens like what is used in the Kindle is the lack of back light and long battery life.

Reading on an LCD causes eye strain because of the back light. The simple solution is to invert the colors. For reading a book on an LCD, have the background color for the page be black and the letters be white. This will almost completely eliminate the eye strain. If you have ever seen a Bloomberg terminal, you know what I mean. Staring into a black screen doesn't cause eye strain.

As for the battery life, if the iPad had an OLED then it could last much longer reading a book with an inverted color screen because OLED uses much less energy to display the color black. It uses no energy to display a black pixel.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
In practice, a mostly-black image will *roughly* halve the power draw. Mostly-white images actually tend to have a higher power draw than LCD's. Maybe in a few OLED generations time this will be different, but...

(Also, it's not as simple as that. It's to do with environmental lighting and other factors as well)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
On my iphone I have used a black background and green letters. Worked good.... Actually I had no problem with normal white/black reading on the iPhone, it's just the screen is so small.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Staring into a black screen doesn't cause eye strain.
It does cause strain to my eyes. In the past I was able to read ebooks on a Palm, with white letters and black background. Not anymore - headache within an hour, unless light of lightbulb under which I read is much more intense than backlighting.

So, not a real solution.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Reversing the screen is not ideal, but the only way I can stand to read on my phone. But for a 9.7" screen it will look extremely weird, like staring at one of those computer monitors from the 1980s. Definitely not enjoyable on an iPad.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Reversing the screen is not ideal, but the only way I can stand to read on my phone. But for a 9.7" screen it will look extremely weird, like staring at one of those computer monitors from the 1980s. Definitely not enjoyable on an iPad.
I think that the type of people who buy the iPad wouldn't implement the color inversion even if it might solve the eye strain problem for long-read sessions.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I think that the type of people who buy the iPad wouldn't implement the color inversion even if it might solve the eye strain problem for long-read sessions.
I'm trying to imagine the iBooks little page turning animation with a black and green screen.

As for eye strain. At work, I make sure my panels are at the max refresh rate, the backlights are almost off and the contrast is way up. The applications I have where I can set the colors have a dark gray background and very light gray text. I also have a strong, full spectrum light behind my head. It seems to help me get through the day.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have a netbook with the led backlight LCD and I can read on it all day. Of course I have it pluged in to AC to be able to do that. I agree battery life sucks, but the screen is not a problem for me and I have my screen backlight all the way to as dim as it gets and it is still bright enough. But on my desktops tha have the older still backlight LCD it does hurt my eyes to even read a short time.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
markbot
Guru

found interesting webpage on this subject. http://www.darkbackground.org/

Although, there is research that suggests that there is higher comprehension when there is black text on white background....
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...health-effects

Last edited by markbot; 01-31-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It is wayyyyyy harder for me to read white letters on a black background than the other way around.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I've tried inverted displays (anyone else here old enough to recall VT-series terminals?). While your advice sounds logical it is incorrect. Eye strain is still there. If you forced me, I'd prefer amber on black. But maybe that's just nostalgia...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
markbot
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I've tried inverted displays (anyone else here old enough to recall VT-series terminals?). While your advice sounds logical it is incorrect. Eye strain is still there. If you forced me, I'd prefer amber on black. But maybe that's just nostalgia...
well, in general I mean light text on dark background. not necessarily white on black. i find light blue or yellow on dark gray to be good.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I tried reverting colours on my wife's PDA mobipocket reader(she suffers migranes) green on black with success and then tried the same on my PDA. I could not change the colours on the book I was reading (purchased and de-DRM'ed). Some books seem to have the fonts hard coded it seems.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
DD1509
Enthusiast
DD1509 doesn't litterDD1509 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It is wayyyyyy harder for me to read white letters on a black background than the other way around.
I agree! I went to the link in a previous post and a web opened with black background and white letters. I couldn't even focus!

I tried for 30 secs or so but it really bothered my eyes so much that I closed the site.

Maybe if I gave it more time my eyes might relax and enjoy it?

DD
DD1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Black background with off-white text is not bad for nighttime reading or situations where ambient light is very low compared to the backlight intensity.

I suspect most people who buy the iPad, other than users of these fora, will have no real problems with the backlight. I don't plan to buy one right away, but if nothing better comes out this year, I'll toss my Sony Reader and get an iPad to replace it. I have absolutely no worries whatsoever about eye strain. I'd like to try one and see how it works next to a well-lit window though, as that's the only problem I can imagine the display having.

I'm much more concerned about their software than I am about their hardware.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote