Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Had problem with 700,opted for advance exchange instead of repair-recieved new 600

I had another problem with my 700 recently,and again had to call for service-they gave me the option of sending in my device for repair,or opting for an advance exchange-they send me the replacement and I send my unit back.

After a big ordeal with UPS,I have literally just gotten the exchange...except that instead of a 700,I have a brand new 600.The only thing I truly see missing,is the back light-I'd grown accustomed to utilizing it for night time reading.

If you had a choice-would you keep the 600 or opt to have the 700 repaired (or maybe I may even look into buying a 700 from another avenue ..all possibilities) .I think I have 7-10 days to send my unit back (or presumably both)-I'll try out the 600.I have been eager to go to a store and check one out...I hardly expected to get one this way !
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would stick with the 600. The 600 has a clearer screen and a built-in dictionary. The light is what made the 700 more fuzzy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Depends on your reading style and how often or important the dictionary is. I read mostly at night and have found that my 700 really is my "go to" reader. Either way, you have the 600 now so after the end of a week or so, you'll either miss your 700 or love the 600.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I don't know. I would be pissed and demand they give me the light free if they did that.

the Light was one of the main reasons I bought it.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
narbeauchamp
Groupie

The light was one of the major reasons that I bought it (besides my 505 being broken),I didn't find it *that* fuzzy.And I have pretty crappy vision,that I could easily,and without intruding on my partner read from it was a bigger bonus than I anticipated. I will try the 600 for a day or two,and will call Sony in the morning to see what my options are.....I'm halfway between being pleased and pissed still...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
narbeauchamp
Groupie

I think ultimately,I may even choose to keep the 600 and buy another 700 from somewhere. I really enjoy reading at night without a clip on....I suppose I could read on the touch sometimes too....
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
I think ultimately,I may even choose to keep the 600 and buy another 700 from somewhere. I really enjoy reading at night without a clip on....I suppose I could read on the touch sometimes too....
After all, you could always use more than one reader. Don't you think?
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Your decision depends solely on your reading style.....

I've read so much here about folks wanting features I'd never even consider using. I've had my 700 since May, and although I do read sometimes during the day, I read mainly at night. I have no inclination to use a dictionary, and don't take notes of any kind.

I'd LIKE a brighter, less fuzzy screen, but I've gotten accustomed to it, and wouldn't trade my touch feature & lite for the world.

I love my 700....
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
narbeauchamp
Groupie

....I almost bought a kindle and an iPod touch last week (I've bought the touch..and actually may consider buying the international kindle if I do decide to buy one,I guess its good I didn't actually pull the trigger last week...now I have something that may be more suitable to my needs)-and I am adoring reading on it so far-but I wouldn't be able to read on it for hours everyday as I do with my Sonys (its comparing maybe reading during my commute,versus with the Sony I probably read a few hours at night,plus the commute,plus lunch usually- I did finish a book in under two days on the touch-but it was short and particularly engrossing )...I'm sending back for repair since they have that flat rate now (I figure not too bad to fix for a hundred bucks or so),I figure it would be great to say...take to the beach,or loan books to family or friends even (the second 505 I bought was to prevent my other half from stealing mine !)...LOL I never need to go far to justify a gadget purchase.

I do love my 700 for the reason of the light-I tried to read a bit last night in bed with the 600-not as seamless as its been for the last 10 months with the 700,I still have a clip on book light that I used with the 505 (from before the cover with the light came out)-and that was okay,but not as nice as what I've grown accustomed to.

I'm going to finish loading my books on the 600 today and see how it goes.Also going to call Sony and ask what the procedure is if I don't want the 600 and want them to repair my 700....of course after having tried the 600 for a few days,its entirely possible I'll want to add the 600 and still have a 700 (also a week or so ago,I was thinking of going into the Sony Style store to check out the 300 and 600,but had basically decided I didn't want the 300 (I like using memory cards-the 300 is the sort of device,I'd definitely buy as a gift but more than likely would never buy for myself),and maybe would consider the 600,but maybe holding out for the 900 this winter.....)....

One thing I don't like so far...is the slip case.I'm generally a fan of that type of case...but I can see dropping the reader on the subway since it doesn't have a folio type cover...I can forsee waiting in endless anticipation for the m-edge cases for the 600.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
One thing I don't like so far...is the slip case.I'm generally a fan of that type of case...but I can see dropping the reader on the subway since it doesn't have a folio type cover...I can forsee waiting in endless anticipation for the m-edge cases for the 600.
Covers for the 505 work with the 600 too, sometimes with a little cutting of a part of string that presses the volume button don't have to wait!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Oh good idea-I'll try that out once I find the cover again-I removed it from the 505 to use it on the 700 when the cover for my 700 broke ,and then removed it from the 700 to prepare to send the device out..so right now who knows where that blasted cover is in my house !
Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Called them today to complain they urged me to try out the 600 and see if I like it or not.Said I have two weeks to figure out what to do,and if at that point I still want to have my 700 repaired,we can figure out then what to do.I was browsing the sony website and saw that there is a reader case with a built in light....maybe that could be the midpoint-and I wonder if I could escalate it enough to get them to send that (thinking of it logically,that would bridge the gap that I'm missing with the light on the 700). So far..read a bit on the 600 today,it was great.Have some copy editing to do this weekend,will do that and some more reading,see if I can grow to like it....
Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Damn!!; I wish Sony had offered to send me a 600 instead of sending me a refurbished 700 in exchange for my new 700 when I sent it back due to the battery issue.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
narbeauchamp
Groupie

They didn't offer or say they were sending a 600. The entire time I was operating under the assumption I was getting another 700.

My 700 was somehow no longer being recognized by the ereader software-at some point in this saga (ongoing since july) they actually had me de-register the device during troubleshooting,and then of course I couldn't read anything that I had downloaded via the Sony Bookstore-neither elibrary software,nor ADE recognized the device.After much back and forth-...the nail in the coffin was when they had me deregister it,and of course-since it wasn't "talking" it wouldn't reregister rendering some recent purchases totally unusuable (most of the time lately I don't even actually DL to the device,but to a memory card which I put directly into the computer.....).

this last time,it was decided I'd go for an advance exchange and send the unit back-rather than have them again repair it.At no point did they say they were going to send a 600-had they given me a choice,I pretty certain (say 95%+) that I would've chosen the 700.

So far,its been almost three full days....I like most of the features of the 600,however I am very annoyed,because I now (again) have an extra set of steps to read in bed-especially when the other person is asleep.One of the reasons I didn't buy another 505 and opted for the 700 when my old 505 broke is that I wanted that built in light.I do like the ability to notate on the screen (Great for copyediting ) and like the built in dictionary (but to be honest,I'd gotten used to looking anything up,if necessary,either on my computer or blackberry....in the last couple of years,I can't really recall how many times I've felt the need to go running to look up a word,whether reading a traditional book,or with a reader or other handheld type of device.....

....I may bring up the suggestion to Sony...about the cover with the light,that's probably the best way to fundamentally have the same experience I had grown used to with the PRS700.

*or* I can always look on the boards here for someone selling their unit
Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
narbeauchamp
Groupie

I'm almost ready to give up entirely at this point. On Monday,when I went to connect my reader to my computer,to download some Sony freebies,the eLibrary software froze.I tried all the remedies I knew,including those I got here when I had a similar problem with my PRS700,I called Sony tech support (several times on Monday,they were supposed to call back Tuesday,never did..so I called this morning..and spent ALMOST FIVE HOURS on the phone with them)...

They assured me they'd figure out what was going on...and the problem would be resolved...of course during the course of all the troubleshooting (across not one,not two but three computers,three different operating systems),they determined that I most likely have ANOTHER unit with a problem.....and it will have to go back...but worst of all...they had me reformat/deauthorize my new,now "broken" reader...so yes,I have all of my library in tact,on my Memory Stick,but anything I bought dependent on the reader being authorized to my Sony store account...is now inaccessible...

The saga continues tomorrow,I'm supposed to get a call back from a technician at the service and repair center....

My optimism at this point is nearly non existant.As I have my broken 700 and now a broken 600.

...maybe I should just give up on my Sony Reader and buy a Nook LOL...(half kidding)...at least I can read some stuff on my iPod Touch in the interim....

Any suggestions,are as always welcome.This was mostly a rant...if anywhere I'd be understood for being somewhat distraught...it would be here.