Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
ePub Headers

ePub Headers --- with the book title and/or author at the top of each page as it is displayed. Is this a possibility? I think Kovid said that it was not in the ePub specifications at the moment. Is there something inherent in ePub that would prevent this feature from being added as an option?

It's a good way for me to remember what the hell I'm reading...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Is there something inherent in ePub that would prevent this feature from being added as an option?
Yes. It is not possible to create such a thing until EPUB specifications change.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

The only possible solution I can think of is creating an image with author/title in it and using it as a background. I am not so sure EPUB renderers would handle that correctly.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Yes. It is not possible to create such a thing until EPUB specifications change.
Does the ePUb specification really says that a reader cannot add a header with author and title? To me it seems it is more a feature of a reader than a feature of the format.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
ePub Headers --- with the book title and/or author at the top of each page as it is displayed. Is this a possibility? I think Kovid said that it was not in the ePub specifications at the moment. Is there something inherent in ePub that would prevent this feature from being added as an option?
I don't think Kovid said that. He said that it is in the specification, but that no ePUB reader currently supports it.

The closest thing to a working header is ADE's page templates, but that's an Adobe-exclusive extension.

Other than that, adding book-wide information like title and author in some visible place is something that any ebook viewer could do, no need of the ePUB specification to allow it. We only need someone to design a user-friendly, fully-configurable, specs-compliant ePUB reader... so easy
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And besides, we don't need headers t waste page space. Plus they don't really look good.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And besides, we don't need headers t waste page space. Plus they don't really look good.
*ahem* "in your opinion". personally, i like headers very much. i think they do look good and they serve a useful purpose as well. and clearly some other people also like them. i do hope that support for displaying them will be added very soon, whether it's the reading software or the spec which needs to be updated.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way that the Sony Reader PRS-505 displays headers in lrf files looks great, in my opinion, and takes up very little space!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The way I use the headers in my custom PDFs is perfect, and I'm a modest man
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
The way that the Sony Reader PRS-505 displays headers in lrf files looks great, in my opinion, and takes up very little space!
the eb1150 does a pretty great job of it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The way I use the headers in my custom PDFs is perfect, and I'm a modest man
it's just one of your many charms.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
OK, so, does anyone know how to generate a header in lrf with the chapter title???
By default (selecting the header option), Calibre adds title and author (%t and %a respectively).
How could anyone pass the chapter title argument??
(Sorry, I just realize that I'm slighlty . Is this an ePub thread!?!?)
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
pepak
Guru

Well, I thought you meant universal headers. Of course a renderer could display them, but that would be a proprietary extension.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Well, I thought you meant universal headers. Of course a renderer could display them, but that would be a proprietary extension.
If it needs something done in the book, then it's a propietary extension (e.g. ADE page templates).

If it can be done with every book, it is a reader feature. The Cybook can display headers for mobipocket files, I don't see why any reader couldn't do the same with ePUB (or any other format).
Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
pepak
Guru

Jellby: Well, a "reader feature" is the same thing as "proprietary extension" - EPUB does specify how a book should be rendered, and any different rendition is proprietary. It doesn't matter where the additional rendition comes from (it could just as well come from the filename, for example, and wouldn't be any less proprietary because of that, even though the book file itself would remain unchanged).
Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
At 10 point I can get 27 lines per screen in LRF. A 400 page book will take about 14 or 15 extra page turns. Plus, I prefer to have as much text on the screen as I can. And to be honest, I should already know what book I am reading. If you had a book with a lot of chapters, then I can understand wanting a footer showing that chapter you are on. But as for a header, it's not all that useful.

What would be perfect in ePub is the ability to turn headers and footers on or off. Of course we need to have headers and footers in the first place.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote