Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Possible bug (iPad)

Brightness control - the gestures indicate that a swipe up or down can change the brightness. This doesn't work for me with my iPad 4. The menu brightness seems to work fine. Is this a bug or was a change made and just not reflected in the gesture instructions?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Suggestion - I have been using iBooks and have several books there. It would be nice if there was a way to import books into Marvin from iBooks (and possibly other ios readers as well. (And yes I could go through Dropbox to load them, but I'm lazy.)
I don't think that would be easily doable. If you have any familiarity with IOS then you know that apps are "sandboxed", and there is no way for apps to share easily and that would pass the App Store review.

There's only so much developers can do, witchin the restrictions imposed by Apple.

Quote:
Question - I set Dropbox to be used with Marvin. I also would like to use Box with Marvin. Maybe I missed it but I don't see a way to use other services similar to Dropbox.

Comment - I like Marvin.
It would be impossible to integrate every service out there Into Marvin. There must be dozens if not hundred of different Dropbox-like services out there.

But one way to load books the they have in common, open you service (Dropbox, Drive, Copy.com, etc) in their app or via the web site, click on your book and use ios "open with..." Function. Select Marvin and it will happily add your book to the library.

This also works for virtually any app (iBooks, etc).

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 09-06-2013 at 01:55 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Brightness control - the gestures indicate that a swipe up or down can change the brightness. This doesn't work for me with my iPad 4. The menu brightness seems to work fine. Is this a bug or was a change made and just not reflected in the gesture instructions?
Hmm, works for me. Did you turn that gesture on?

From reading a book, bring up the settings menu, go to gestures, fifth item down. See attached picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378490078.427923.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	110496

Last edited by artbatista; 09-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
I don't think that would be easily doable.
Nor do I think it should be doable. Why should Marvin be "supporting iBooks", so to say? The switch from iBooks to Marvin is a one-time process that can be quickly accomplished by using, for example, iFunBox. (Or slowly accomplished using iTunes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
But one way to load books the they have in common, open your service (Dropbox, Drive, Copy.com, etc) in their app or via the web site, click on your book and use ios "open with..." Function. Select Marvin and it will happily add your book to the library.
That's what I've been doing with SugarSync ever since Marvin was first released. It's nice to have Dropbox directly integrated in Marvin, but such close integration is by no means a necessity. Just open the Box app on your iPad/iPhone, and you can load books into Marvin from there with a single tap.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #20
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@slayda, Marvin cannot access books in another app, so I can't import from iBooks. Also keep in mind that if your books are DRM protected (encrypted), M won't be able to read them. Right now, M supports Dropbox only. Eventually, I'll be adding more services. Did you check whether the gesture is turned on as ArtBatista suggested?
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes gesture for brightness is turned on. I tried turning it off and back on. Still doesn't work.

All other gestures seem to work correctly.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
slayda--The brightness control via swipe is a little tricky for me on my iPad 2. It works most of the time, but not all. And sometimes I mean to turn a page and end up increasing or decreasing the brightness by accident--I know it's the direction that I'm swiping. Sometimes, it seems like my iPad ignores my up and down swipe for brightness, but eventually it'll take. I don't think this helps you much--because unlike your experience swiping for brightness control is functional on my iPad.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
slayda
Retired & reading more!

OK I finally discovered the trick. You have to swipe up or down NEAR THE CENTER OF THE PAGE. Otherwise it doesn't work. Apparently I missed this info in the instructions. Being right handed, it is more intuitive th try swiping up/down on the right side of the screen.