Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Removing Waterstones Screensaver on Paperwhite

Hey guys,

I've only seen one post here that seems to successfully remove th Waterstones screensaver on the Paperwhites bought from the Waterstones UK bookstore.

The original poster says:
"the waterstones screensaver image was in /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png

so I copied over one of the original kindle screensaver images to overwrite that files, and hey presto, no waterstones screensaver."

The question is, if I jailbreak my Paperwhite, is it really this simple? Can anyone confirm that this folder actually exists already? I only ask as the start of the thread looks a lot more complex...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199050

Thanks!
jforner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Here's an easy two-step solution:

1) Order a Kindle PW direct from Amazon
2) When the new Kindle PW has arrived take Waterstones PW back to Waterstones for a full refund.

That's what I did!
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
Here's an easy two-step solution:

1) Order a Kindle PW direct from Amazon
2) When the new Kindle PW has arrived take Waterstones PW back to Waterstones for a full refund.

That's what I did!
That is good advise. If you paid full price, you should not see unwanted advertisement.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
KNotts
KNotts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforner View Post
Hey guys,

I've only seen one post here that seems to successfully remove th Waterstones screensaver on the Paperwhites bought from the Waterstones UK bookstore.

The original poster says:
"the waterstones screensaver image was in /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png

so I copied over one of the original kindle screensaver images to overwrite that files, and hey presto, no waterstones screensaver."

The question is, if I jailbreak my Paperwhite, is it really this simple? Can anyone confirm that this folder actually exists already? I only ask as the start of the thread looks a lot more complex...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199050

Thanks!
I can confirm that I've carried out this procedure on my Waterstones Kindle and it works fine - the folder exists and you can see the Waterstones advert in there as a PNG. You'll need to set up USB network to get to that folder - you can't see it just by jailbreaking. Once I'd done that, I just got rid of the Waterstones file, and copied across the standard wallpapers from /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ - it now cycles between the standard Kindle wallpapers in exactly the same way as a standard Kindle.
KNotts is offline   Reply With Quote