Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #61
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I wouldn't ask for a refund but I would demand a free updated version. I think they would owe it.
I bought my cop from the Harper Collins website, which no longer sells ebooks. No chance for me of getting an updated copy, so it's fortunate that I can update it myself.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
This occurred when I went back to Books on Board:
I went to the library and managed to find a copy of the 3-in-1 that I did not have to reserve. The errors are still there.

The 1-in-1 editions do not have the errors listed in this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #63
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try the following... Go back to where you purchased the 3-in-1 edition and download it again. See if the errors are still there. Maybe they have been fixed since the copy April is reading was released.
I just tried to re-download my LIT copy to check over from Fictionwise and get an error. I suppose because they don't sell it anymore since the Agency deal?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #64
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I just finished it in ePub from B&N, I noticed a quite a few hyphenation problems. Mostly where the hyphens were retained even though re-formatting moved the hyphenated word to the middle of the line. But then I’ve learned to pretty much ignore those because so many ebooks suffer from that particular malady.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #65
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
Hot dayum!
No mistakes until page 573 ... now that's what the world would call good proofreading. Perhaps the original proofie got tired after 572 pages and a new, amateur, non-professional, untrained, unpaid one took over?
Or maybe even a team of the same standard?
How thrilling it must be to put these miserable "publishing" efforts on your e-readers and then have to spend time correcting the texts (whether you paid for those texts or not).
Of course, that presupposes that the one making the correx knows what the proper alterations are in the first place ...
Please do not imply I did not pay for this ebook. I did.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #66
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added page 877 mistake (capitalization, i.e. Í, was needed).
Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #67
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
I'd just like to know what made you think that I implied that you did ... or didn't. If you can't see that was a generalisation about anybody who gets to read these ebooks having to sit down and correct the mistakes, then it ain't no epidermis off my proboscis.
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #68
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
I’ve been reading The Lord of the Rings in EPUB format. ...

Page 783: It took his hand, and as Frodo watched with his mind, not willing it but in suspense (as if he looked on some old story far away,
[series of spaces]
it moved the hand inch by inch towards the chain upon his neck.
I've got the Amazon 3-in-1 Centenary Edition (bought from Australia) converted to ePub with Calibre. There's a funny bit of markup that I can see in Sigil on page 783 but it doesn't affect the appearance of the text.

That's the only niggle I can see from your list in my book.

The TOC entries on the converted ePub are all over the place though (double entries for each chapter and the heading levels aren't consistent for starters). I haven't decided if I'm going to fix those up or not yet...

Cheers,
Simon.

Last edited by snarkophilus; 04-22-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Mention TOC issues.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #69
John the Miner
Enthusiast

As somebody or other once said, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much" ... wish I could remember who it was.
Maybe AprilHare can enlighten us?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #70
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
As somebody or other once said, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much" ... wish I could remember who it was.
Maybe AprilHare can enlighten us?
No-one. It may be a misquote however.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #71
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The line is "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." (although it is frequently misquoted), and it was said by Queen Gertrude in Hamlet. Also, it is important to note that protest in this context is meaning is to declare affirmation, not to object.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #72
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Please could you specify the whole sentence so that I can find it and correct it ? As I have said before my lines are not exactly at the same pages as yours (for some reason) so I have managed to spot and correct the mistakes by finding the sentence. Thank you

Quote:
Added page 877 mistake (capitalization, i.e. Í, was needed).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #73
John the Miner
Enthusiast

Right on, bro.
Good to see that somebody can pick up such an aphorism when it was deliberately misquoted by me to test the waters.
I guess it wouldn't be so obvious in an e-book?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #74
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Please could you specify the whole sentence so that I can find it and correct it ? As I have said before my lines are not exactly at the same pages as yours (for some reason) so I have managed to spot and correct the mistakes by finding the sentence. Thank you
I add such detail to the original post Check and see!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #75
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
What need is there to test the waters? I think it is widely accepted that ebooks are often littered with errors, and in this case the Tolkien books are no exception. Some of us are just bugged by errors in books. I routinely use the bookmark feature on my reader to flag issues for later fixing. Call it my OCD acting up, but I want things to be right because problems with the text pull me out of the story.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote