Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 04:42 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
As I've stated before, Amazon seems to release stuff in the USA early to work out the bugs. We suffer so you don't have to. You're Welcome!

It's that Amazon really doesn't care about their shops other then the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:44 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
With a wireless charger, Amazon could dump the USB socket altogether. This would make a water proof device possible.
Dump USB and say goodbye to side loading. That would be a huge mistake on Amazon's part.

The PW5 can be waterproof with a USB port. Kobo does it.
Advert
Old 09-22-2021, 04:45 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Say hello to the all new Amazon Kindle H2O.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:47 AM   #49
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
If I hadn't recently bought an Oasis, this would be a no brainer. It could push out the Oasis. I have to wonder if there is an Oasis refresh in the works.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #50
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's true. I didn't think of that. So really, for the same the product, in the U.S. it's $160 U.S. dollars, in Canada it's $150 in Canadian dollars (which, at current exchange rates, would be $117 in U.S. dollars).

In Great Britain, on the other hand, they're paying 129 pounds which works out to $176 in U.S. dollars. (The last time I bought something from England the exchange rate was, I think, around 2 dollars to a pound? When did it drop to $1.37?)
Canada has had a deal on Kindles for a while. Pretty sure they are trying to increase market share as Kobo is top dog there. Don't forget GB prices include sales tax while Canada/US ones don't.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 AM   #51
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
There's a curious size difference, which will matter if purchasing non-brand covers:

Paperwhite 4.9” x 6.9” x .32” (124.6 x 174.2 x 8.1 mm) 205g
Signature 4.9” x 6.9” x .32” (125 x 174 x 8.1 mm) 208g
PW Kids Ed 5.1” x 6.9” x .5” (129.2 x 175.5 x 13.5 mm) 321g including cover
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Say hello to the all new Amazon Kindle H2O.
In some ways, yes...

Code:
Kobo Aura H2O (2nd edition) -- 172 x 129 x 8.8 mm, 207 grams
  IPX8 Water Resistance -- 17 LEDs -- 8 GBs -- 265 PPI screen

Kindle Paperwhite (2021)    -- 174 x 124 x 8.1 mm, 205 grams
  IPX8 Water Resistance -- 17 LEDs -- 8 GBs -- 300 PPI screen
I'm guessing the 2021 Paperwhite has a faster CPU and more operating RAM, but I have no way of knowing for sure because Amazon doesn't list those features. The 2021 Paperwhite has USB-C but no microUSB slot. Unless Amazon has greatly improved their font rendering, the H2O most likely wins out there. At any rate pretty close specs, considering the gap between releases.

BTW — I need to correct myself. For some reason I thought the new Kindle had 27 LEDs instead of 17. I don't know how I got that into my head, but I repeated it several times.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-22-2021 at 08:18 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
There's a curious size difference, which will matter if purchasing non-brand covers:

Paperwhite 4.9” x 6.9” x .32” (124.6 x 174.2 x 8.1 mm) 205g
Signature 4.9” x 6.9” x .32” (125 x 174 x 8.1 mm) 208g
PW Kids Ed 5.1” x 6.9” x .5” (129.2 x 175.5 x 13.5 mm) 321g including cover
It looks like the kid's edition is being measured with its cover installed. I think they're just rounding the numbers on the Signature version. I guess the circuitry to enable wireless charging accounts for the slightly higher weight.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Just got thinking. Probably the best "upgrade" Amazon could do for the Basic Kindle is to rebrand the Paperwhite 4 as its new low-end reader. I wonder if they've considered that possibility? That would be two huge upgrades in their Kindle line and the Paperwhite 4 is already designed and ready to go.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:28 AM   #55
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
It looks like the kid's edition is being measured with its cover installed. I think they're just rounding the numbers on the Signature version. I guess the circuitry to enable wireless charging accounts for the slightly higher weight.
That's logical! I was ready to cross the Kid's off my list. Now it's back in the game. I'm choosing between that one and the Signature. I may end up getting the Kids with the black cover. (Same price as the PW5 without ads, which I pay to remove anyway, so....if they are actually identical in every way....why not?)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
In some ways, yes...

Code:
  IPX8 Water Resistance -- 17 LEDs -- 8 GBs -- 225 PPI screen
The H2O1 has a ppi of 265. Typo?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The H2O1 has a ppi of 265. Typo?
Yes, my fault. I'll correct it. Sorry.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
In some ways, yes...

Code:
  IPX8 Water Resistance -- 17 LEDs -- 8 GBs -- 265 PPI screen

Kindle Paperwhite (2021)    -- 174 x 124 x 8.1 mm, 205 grams
  IPX8 Water Resistance -- 17 LEDs -- 8 GBs -- 300 PPI screen
I'm guessing the 2021 Paperwhite has a faster CPU and more operating RAM, but I have no way of knowing for sure because Amazon doesn't list those features. The 2021 Paperwhite has USB-C but no microUSB slot. Unless Amazon has greatly improved their font rendering, the H2O most likely wins out there. At any rate pretty close specs, considering the gap between releases.

BTW — I need to correct myself. For some reason I thought the new Kindle had 27 LEDs instead of 17. I don't know how I got that into my head, but I repeated it several times.
Also the Libra works well with Calibre. Local book management, collections, series and annotation is terrible on the Kindle. Wife and I both have PW3 and have switched to Kobo Libra. Not impressed with my son's PW4. He also thinks it's inferior to the PW3. He upgraded from a Kindle Keyboard 3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The PW4's screen is not as good as the PW3. The P4 is less clear then the PW3.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #60
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
I was curious to see how the Trade-In is working, so when I clicked on the link on the new PWSE page, it brought up the list of eligible devices that are registered to my Kindle/Amazon account. Curiously enough, the current Oasis 3, which I own and is registered to me, is NOT eligible for the trade-in, but the last generation of the PW (which I also own/registered to me) is eligible...

I also noticed something new WRT returns; at least, I don't recall seeing this restriction before when new Kindles are released. Under the "Pre-Order Now" button, there's a link to the Return Policy, which states "This item is non-returnable, but if the item arrives damaged or defective, you may request a refund or replacement." Is this new??? Seems like in the past you could always return it for any reason within 2-4 weeks of delivery.

Last edited by 93terp; 09-22-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added more info
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote