Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Speaking to a Kobo rep, it shall be coming soon like everything else. What this means, I do not know. One of these Mondays I guess.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I will continue to use my Kobo to read ebooks. Even with the various shortcomings it still does that task (the one it purchased it for) extremely well indeed.

Last edited by sabredog; 11-11-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: typo
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I will continue to use my Kobo to read ebooks. Even with the various shortcomings it still does that task (the one it purchased it for) extremely well indeed.
That's ONE of the reasons I bought it. I had three. Read books. check. Read newspapers. Nope. Buy books with my blackberry curve 8330 and bluetoothe to device. Nope. So I guess it does 33% of what I want it to do and what it was marketed to do. Not a very good grade.

Last edited by Duiker; 11-11-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Newspapers?

Have you used Calibre to compile a newspaper from source to ePUB? It does work.

Nearly everyone buys an ereader to read ebooks not newspapers.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Newspapers?

Have you used Calibre to compile a newspaper from source to ePUB? It does work.

Nearly everyone buys an ereader to read ebooks not newspapers.
Newspapers? That's unheard of. What? Why? Oh dear me.

YES. Newspapers. One of the biggest things Kobo has been advertising for the last month or so and when they originally launched!
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #21
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
However, Sabredog is offering you a solution, at least in the meantime, and there is no subscription fee: Calibre for Newspapers. Since the OK (Original Kobo) needs to be plugged in to download the newspapers anyway, why not plug it in and load it from calibre instead of spending $16 for the Globe? It's worth a try, at least.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
The Calibre Newspapers and perfectly readable when you use the Table Of Contents on the Kobo. It's free and as mentioned it's your only viable solution for now. If your still really unhappy talk to a Kobo rep. You should able to upgrade to the KoboWifi for the cost difference between the two if you still have the packaging and receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLC View Post
If you've spoken with a Kobo Tech support you can bring your Original Kobo back to any Chapters/Indigo and they should beable to refund you the entire amount or offer you the option to upgrade to the new Wifi Kobo for the price difference.

Last edited by ModReader; 11-11-2010 at 11:28 PM.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
The Calibre Newspapers and perfectly readable when you use the Table Of Contents on the Kobo. It's free and as mentioned it's your only viable solution for now. If your still really unhappy talk to a Kobo rep. You should able to upgrade to the KoboWifi for the cost difference between the two if you still have the packaging and receipt.
...says the guy with the wireless kobo.

Sorry I disagree with you on the 'perfectly readable' part but that's just my opinion. Again, it's not what Kobo advertised but whatever.
Since I paid $149 for my orginal Kobo and the new one is also $149 I guess the upgrade will be free. I wonder what kobo will do with all the old readers they get back when they start giving away the wi-fi one to all us old purchasers?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #24
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
...says the guy with the wireless kobo.

Sorry I disagree with you on the 'perfectly readable' part but that's just my opinion. Again, it's not what Kobo advertised but whatever.
Since I paid $149 for my orginal Kobo and the new one is also $149 I guess the upgrade will be free. I wonder what kobo will do with all the old readers they get back when they start giving away the wi-fi one to all us old purchasers?
Remember. I had the original Kobo that I had purchased about a month before signing up to the forum. I know the first Kobo inside and out. I extchanged my second unit for a wireless one. Thus no more problems.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I paid $750 for a new computer and a month later the same manufacturer had a better one for the same price. It never occurred to me that I was owed the new one.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I paid $750 for a new computer and a month later the same manufacturer had a better one for the same price. It never occurred to me that I was owed the new one.
Who said they were owed the new kobo? Was your computer missing programs that it was supposed to come with? As far as I've seen nobody's looking to get a new wi-fi version for their original kobo. They just want the original kobo to have the things that the company said it would have, like newspapers
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #27
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
Remember. I had the original Kobo that I had purchased about a month before signing up to the forum. I know the first Kobo inside and out. I extchanged my second unit for a wireless one. Thus no more problems.
Was you original past the 30 exchange period when you exchanged it?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #28
michael_h
michael_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ebook reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
They just want the original kobo to have the things that the company said it would have, like newspapers
Or at least have the company acknowledge that newspapers are just not going to be an option on the Kobo1. Owners will be upset, but at least those of us who want their ebook reader to also view newspaper can begin to look at other options.
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #29
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
Or at least have the company acknowledge that newspapers are just not going to be an option on the Kobo1. Owners will be upset, but at least those of us who want their ebook reader to also view newspaper can begin to look at other options.
They're coming. It works. We just need a bit of time to make it solid. I wish it could be faster, but software on embedded hardware takes time to finish.

Find a bit of proof in the attachment. Wednesday's New York Times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20101112_171224.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	937.4 KB
ID:	61105  
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
They're coming. It works. We just need a bit of time to make it solid. I wish it could be faster, but software on embedded hardware takes time to finish.
Thanks for this and for checking in.

I've been around software development long enough (as an end-user especially) to have learned to prefer "bullet-proof" to "almost ready". My prediction is the sun will come up in the east the morning you release the final, golden code. I'll be celebrating both events.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote