Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Wellhausen, Julius: Prolegomena to the History of Israel. v2. 02 July 2019

This is the English translation of Julius Wellhausen's Prolegomena zur Geschichte Israels, published in 1885. Building on the work of Karl Heinrich Graf, Wellhausen laid out the theory of multiple authors for the biblical Pentateuch that would become known as the Documentary Hypothesis. There has been much work since then and some of his arguments are dated, but the core of his work is still accepted by most biblical scholars today.

Wellhausen died in 1918. The translators died in 1916 (Menzies) and 1923 (Black).

The ebook started with the Project Gutenberg text, which is absolutely awful. I won't belabor the point.

My goal was to make the text usable to me with both Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2 on a Windows PC and Mantano/Bookari software for Android.

I manually proofread the text as I was formatting it and again while reading it after completion. There were enough OCR errors in the GP text that I have to assume that I missed some, but I seem to have fixed the vast majority. I used a Google Books scan as my "original" and attempted to match formatting as closely as I could given the limitations of epub.

The original text includes Hebrew, Greek, and a number of accented characters that fail to correctly display with these applications. I therefore made what will likely be two unpopular decisions:

First, I embedded the SIL Gentium regular and italic fonts directly in the epub file. Gentium includes all of the characters used in the original text. The font is free to use and I've included a copy of the license text in the ebook. EDIT: v2 uses SIL Charis instead.

Second, I rendered all Hebrew text as PNG images that most reader applications (especially those based on ADE) scale to the size of the text. That way, the images appear as Hebrew text that matches the user-selected font size. Unfortunately, when I last checked, this technique doesn't work with Cool Reader or Moon+. Not surprisingly, however, the Calibre epub reader looks great.

The reason that I did the Hebrew this way is that none of the readers or software that I tested correctly rendered mixed left-to-right and right-to-left text. Furthermore, they all broke in different ways, so there was no consistent way to format the text so that it would render correctly. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to PM me or start a thread in the epub forum (and then PM me anyway to let me know).

The original occasionally uses parallel columns to compare Bible texts. After trying several techniques and finding them unsatisfactory, I decided to alternate depth of indenting to mark the columns. I'm still not happy with it, but it renders correctly and is understandable.

The HTML is encoded using regular ASCII with all foreign and accented characters encoded as HTML entities. The footnotes are clickable with return links. All chapters and subchapters are linked in the NCX table of contents, but I haven't created an HTML one. I also didn't finish formatting the Encyclopedia Britannica article that was appended to the original, so I didn't include it. I may add these at some point, but it's been almost a year since I last worked on it, so I decided to upload it as-is.

On the off chance that someone else wants to work on it themselves or use the text for something else, page numbers from the Google Books scan linked above are embedded in the source as HTML comments.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Wellhausen-Prolegomena-v2.epub (1.19 MB, 221 views)

Last edited by Difflugia; 07-02-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Version 2
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Wellhausen, Julius: Prolegomena to the History of Israel. v2. 02 July 2019

Version 2.
  • Font changed from Gentium SIL to Charis SIL
  • Added Galatia SIL for Greek text
  • Added an actual small caps font
  • Fonts are subsets, cutting the overall file size in half
  • Created a new cover
  • Added an "about" page at the beginning
  • Fixed several typos
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote