Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 04:52 PM   #31
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: Kobo Glo (kobo4)
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
We are going to need more info about your setups to track this interaction fail
A desktop with
Code:
Édition	Windows 10 Professionnel
Version	21H1
Installé le	‎12/‎06/‎2020
Build du système d’exploitation	19043.1237
Expérience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0
As seen French/France locales.

No change on standard UAC lvl 3.
Other software have no problems with install.

As ownedbycats says
Executing the msi with my regular non-admin user, UAC prompt, allow modifications/admin, install starts and suddenly the error. As if installer suddenly "return" to standard user.

Just tried to launch a "repair" and do not get UAC prompt, do not know if it is normal or not. And it fails with same error.
nAhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #32
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Hi

UAC lvl 3
French/France locales
Install not on C: but on another local drive
no specific hardware but an old one

Code:
Édition	Windows 10 Professionnel
Version	21H1
Installé le	‎12/‎06/‎2020
Build du système d’exploitation	19043.1237
Expérience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0
Executing the msi as my regular user, UAC prompted, install starts but failed as if suddenly loosing admin rights.

Just tried to launch again,UAC does not prompt now, tried repair option and same error. But "normal" as no UAC to go admin.

" did you follow the instructions (read the MS help) for running-fixing with SFC?"
Do not know what you mean by that, launched sfc thru an admin command line and also checked with dsim the image health
Advert
Old 09-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nAhu View Post
Install not on C: but on another local drive
Thanks again for the details.

Can you try installing in the default location: C:\Program Files\Calibre2

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #34
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I have the same build as nAhu; which is also the same build as my tablet where the 5.28 installed without any hiccups or problems.

I just thought that there is a a big(?) difference where the tablet was installed by the seller (MS) & my desktop was auto "upgraded" from win 8 to win 10 long ago. Could be some junk lefte over?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #35
nAhu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Thanks again for the details.

Can you try installing in the default location: C:\Program Files\Calibre2

BR
Other detail : I use the 64 bits edition.

uninstall/install even in another location than the default works well.

Tried the "repair" action thru the msi, it only works if it is the default location.

My usual location is : D:\Program Files\Calibre2

deleted the D:\Program Files\Calibre2 after uninstall to be "fair".
But tried again : => remove of calibre left some directory in D:, tried to install again in D:\Program Files\Calibre2 without removing directory and the error prompt

Hopes the tests help

n`Ahu

Last edited by nAhu; 09-29-2021 at 12:54 PM. Reason: adding some test without deleting D:\Program Files\Calibre2
Advert
Old 10-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #36
nAhu
Enthusiast

Hi,

Same problem with 5.29

n`Ahu
Old 10-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #37
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5.29 ditto.

I'm logged on as a local with "administor" rights (?) win10 shows my info as an administrator! micro$oft lies as there are several levels of "administrator"; being a user adminstrator can change drive access rights but cannot install an application!??!

guess will have to check the internet for types of admin.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #38
crane3
Guru

have not seen any reports of admin rights levels. did find a work around from the windows tenforums tutorial regarding howto run an app as admin.

easy 1:

OPTION ONE
To Run as Administrator using Keyboard Shortcut

1 Select an app to highlight it.

2 Press and hold the CTRL + Shift keys.

3 Press Enter or click/tap on the app.

4 Release the CTRL + Shift keys.
============================
from the file explorer just by clicking: (this was slightly changed from my ver/build of win 10:

1. open file explorer
2. locate app/program where ever it is
3. high light the app
4. see "manage" high lited above the ribbon(?)
5. click on "manage"
6. see "run as administrator" as the 2nd item next to the 'pin to the taskbar'.
7. then click on the "run as administrator".

There were more ways....but..

Have not tried it but will do so next time it happens. possible when Calibre got configed, the UAC got ticked where is says to run as admin? or unticked if it was the default? I usually install Calibre from the file explorer; now just need to do it twice with a couple of steps more.

On my desktop, everyone listed has full control except an "authencated" user(?). I missed that one on the list of people; did that override the "everyone"????
Old 10-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #39
shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Folks, wanted to follow-up on this thread. For the last 3 updates, I was only able to successfully install the update so long as I loaded a command prompt as Admin, and then executing the .msi from the shell. While that successfully installed the updates, I'm unable to drag-and-drop books into the interface since it technically runs as "Admin" and not as my logged-in user. This was, as you can imagine, extremely annoying.

I did notice in subsequent messages in this thread that there may be issues with non-default installation paths. My C: drive is an SSD with limited capacity, so for years I had Calibre installed on my D: drive, with most of the software, as it's a higher capacity HDD.

I decided to symbolically link the "D:\Program Files\Calibre2\" directory to "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\" as symbolic links have been supported in Windows since Windows XP (I use Link Shell Extension here to provide a GUI interface for the functionality: https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlink...extension.html). So now, I have a symbolic link on the C: drive (default installation path) which actually resides (and takes up capacity) on the D: drive.

Ran the latest update via regular install and it worked without a hitch! So, I suspect there's something going on in the last few installations that seem to be hard-coded for the default path and doesn't respect the actual non-default installation path.
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:20 AM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Absolutely nothing has changed in the calibre installer, in years. The last significant change was a year ago and that was to register the calibre:// URL handler.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote