Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #1
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Best Moon+ CC Filename Template to Keep It Short, Cross-Sync & Disambiguate

Hi,

Normally I use the default CC template when ticking the filename option that's best for Moon+ Reader to allow easy cross-device syncing. I think it's just {title} - {authors}. Until now that has been fine and dandy as I have modern Android devices with exFAT microSDs and cross-sync is perfect.

Enter Onyx Leaf to ruin my life. That overpriced hunk of junk forces FAT32 on OTG storage (it only has OTG, no internal slot). Using my current template, I can only fit about 9100 files in root (or in a directory). I have written an extensive post on Reddit in the Onyx forum to demonstrate the depths of my experiments (TL;DR. it's not me, or my cards, it's FAT32 and long filenames. It's fundamentally a terrible choice for a late 2021 device).

So today I've had the idea, what if I make a different template? I don't know what to try though. I have a large library - about 10.5K so I need to keep a mind on disambiguation (i.e. title alone might not be enough), plus still make sure it will sync fine with Moon+ Reader still across my many devices as I still frequently use Android itself too BUT be as short as it can be while still fulfilling the first two criteria there so I can actually use an outdated FAT32 card to some point in future when it will cut out but at least a shorter filename will allow me to put my full library on and add new for awhile

I've seen "ID" as one of the template options...will that be any good for Moon+? That would seem to be the shortest w/disambiguation too (in my head) but I'm suspicious if Moon+ will like that. It's be great to not have to find this out the hard way and redo all my devices lol.

Would love any help. Thanks.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are we talking Calibre's {id} ?

DO NOT plan on that staying the same over time. It applies to the record# in the current metadata.db. Rebuilding (the library), copying to another library will result in a new {ID}, as well as each Library can have the same # (it is assigned as books are added)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Assuming the option is still there, check the box Settings / File names / Use book ID as filename. One purpose of the option to solve the problem(s) you present. In this case 'ID' means the book UUID (long unique identifier) for the book. The UUID is preserved even if you must rebuild the library or move (not copy) the book to another library.

Another and probably better option is to use subfolders. The CC FAQs have gone away, but here is the content of an old FAQ that discusses using subfolders to solve exactly the problem you raise -- how to get more books in a FAT32 library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:54 AM   #4
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Hi again,

Thank you both for the help.

@Chaley I think I'll do the subfolder setup. Do it on one of my fast device then restore to others.

The one thing I'm confused about is do I put the extra brackets at the end on id:
{first_author:%1.1s}/{first_author}/{title} - {authors} ({id}) or do I just put it as {id} and the brackets () are just there to indicate it's an optional addition for disambiguation (which I will use, just wanted to check on the actual format).

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:15 AM   #5
bazookajoe
Connoisseur

I'm an idiot, I should reply saying it worked fine and has solved the problem. Thanks!

{first_author:%1.1s}/{first_author}/{title} - {authors} {id}

That's the exact format I used and it did fit 10,480 book on the FAT32 SD Card and was insanely fast at downloading too. Speed always varies quite widely across my Android devices but the Leaf was agonising. I'm not exaggerating when I said I was pushing 2 weeks to hit the 9100 wall with just {title} - {authors}. I got that down in maybe 7 hours (with a couple of reconnects needed as usual).

Now, to just get popular reading and library apps to actually read from the OTG SD Card that it just wrote all the books to on the Leaf because they don't LOL.