Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 AM   #1
bunyeh
bunyeh began at the beginning.

Device: pc windows
Lightbulb Search my libraries all in one?

I store my books in Calibre library folders according to the DDS system, i.e. 100 Philosophy, 200 Religion, etc. I access the different library folders with the "Switch/create library" function and can make searches in each library folder. I would, however, like to search all library folders at once. Is there a way? Thanks to anyone who can help.
bunyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's a plugin that can do it, I don't use it so I can't recall its name. Have a look in the plugin index at the top of the plugins sub-forum. The one i'm thinking of was written by DaltonST.

Tip: if you can't find a feature in the main program, browse the plugin index, there's a good chance there will be something that does it there.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-17-2019 at 03:27 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunyeh View Post
I store my books in Calibre library folders according to the DDS system, i.e. 100 Philosophy, 200 Religion, etc. I access the different library folders with the "Switch/create library" function and can make searches in each library folder. I would, however, like to search all library folders at once. Is there a way? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Yes.

[1] Install the "Library Codes" plug-in so that you can begin to download the Dewey Decimal Code and other codes, such as LCC, into new custom columns.

[2] In each of your current Libraries, create a new custom column "#source_library", and use Bulk Edit Metadata to add a value equal to the name of each particular Library.

[3] Create a copy of your largest Library, and rename it to represent all of your books (e.g. "Books").

[4] In all of your other Libraries, "Select All" > Copy > to your new "Books" Library.

[5] Switch to "Books". Create a Virtual Library for each of the "#source_library" values so you can easily view each of your "original" Libraries within your new consolidated Library.

[6] To search across all of your "Virtual Libraries" simultaneously, simply use no VL at all. All of your books will be available for searching, regardless of their "#source_library".

[7] Using the Library Codes plug-in, after configuring its new custom columns in your "Books" Library, begin to download DDC and other codes that are very specific. Use its "DDC Genre" menu selection to add the textual description of each DDC or LCC. Example:

DDC: 813.52 LCC: PS3511.I9 ---> Literature>American and Canadian>Fiction>20th Century>1900-1944

[8] Remember to compress your metadata.db file using Library > Library Maintenance > Check Library.

[9] Your previous many Libraries are your "deep backups" of your new "Books" Library.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 02-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote