Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #46
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Mark Twain is quite brilliant in his books about Joan of Arc and King Arthur (Connecticut Yankee). Both public domain, so free downloads ... and terrific historical reads, beautifully researched. I re-read them both on a 505 over the past week or two and was reminded of just how great a writer ol' Sam was. And, of course, the contemporary Huck and Sawyer now become historical fiction. Unusually for a Brit, I guess, I've always been more than impressed by the best of American fiction. The US has stars (of yesterday and today) to rival anyone in European literature. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #47
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
I just finished The White Queen, by Philippa Gregory, and really enjoyed it. She does take liberties with the characters and events, but it's a novel and not a history textbook, so I didn't mind. She has a good series on the Tudors, and The White Queen is the first of a new series on the Plantagenets. I've found e-book versions at Books on Board.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #48
kerry431
Enthusiast
kerry431 began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Wow, so many great suggestions. I have read a lot of them already but lots I have not. I just found a series lately that is an excellent read. It is Jack McGee's series of the the Bow Street runners.

http://www.amazon.ca/Ratcatcher-Jame...2476344&sr=1-1

This is the first one of 3 books and I couldn't put them down. Only thing was I had to get them in paperback as I couldn't find them as an e book.
kerry431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #49
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Bruce Alexander has a series of novels about Sir John Fielding who started the Bow Street Runners, unfortunately only the last couple are ebooks.. Here is one of 'em http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_di...asp?IID=356754 You'll have to find the earlier ones in print.

Some of the best David Liss novels are set in the 1700s London and he's the better writer. His first of three is called "A Conspiracy of Paper" is absolutely great, but not ebook'd, however the two followups with the same main character are available. His "The Coffee Trader" is good stuff too.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #50
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I love Sharon Kay Penman's The Sunne In Splendour. About Richard III and his brother Edward IV. It's big but it's really good.

She also has a very good trilogy about Simon de Montfort and Wales, I think the correct order is Falls the Shadow, Here Be Dragons, and The Reckoning, but I might be wrong. I haven't read them in a while.

I've read some of her other books and I didn't think they were good, but these four are very good.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden was very good.

In A Dark Wood Wandering by Hella Haasse was also very good. It's about the Duke d'Orleans.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #51
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
OH MY GOD!!! I actually forgot 'Lydia Bailey.' My bad... How can any man forget Lydia Bailey?!? ('She' is a ship!)
And I forgot 'Rable in Arms' too. Must be having a senior moment.
Both written by Kenneth Roberts and both wonderful reads!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #52
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
OH MY GOD!!! I actually forgot 'Lydia Bailey.' My bad... How can any man forget Lydia Bailey?!? ('She' is a ship!)
And I forgot 'Rable in Arms' too. Must be having a senior moment.
Both written by Kenneth Roberts and both wonderful reads!

Stitchawl
Unfortunately I can't find any Kenneth Roberts available in ebook form.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #53
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

John Drake, Flint and Silver, a prequel to Treasure Island for adult readers.

The Elephant Keeper by Chris Nicholson

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-09-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #54
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just thought of another one I read a long time ago. Roger's Rangers, I think it was about the French and Indian War. Correct me if I'm wrong on the title or subject matter. But, it was good.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #55
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Rafael Sabatini and Stanley J. Weyman were prolific authors in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and were very popular in their day. Many of their books are available on this forum.

Scaramouche is probably the best known of Rafael Sabatini's books, and A Gentleman of France or Under the Red Robe were probably the best known of of Stanley J. Weyman's

Regards, Alex
Sabatini was sort of the Bernard Cornwell of his time, popping out popular historical fiction books one after the other. It's hard to find one that's a poor read. Particularly good are Captain Blood and one of my all time favorites - Scaramouche, but also excellent are The Sea Hawk and The Black Swan and Mistress Wilding.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #56
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
I want to suggest any of Philip Kerr's noirish crime novels set in Berlin during the 1930s and mid-20th Century as well as Alan Furst's espionage books set in the same period. Furst has a great eye for detail but not as much plot movement as Kerr.

This begs the question, though -- is something set less than 100 years ago still considered historical fiction to most? I say, if it captures a period, why not?

Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #57
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Thomas Rutherford I think Dublin was very good . Also the Ken follet were good too . In fact most of the recommendations I have read accept the naval ones and Mark Twain whom im thinking of Downloading . It is one of my favourite generes I dislike SF and Fantasy.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #58
mcspice
mcspice began at the beginning.

Device: Kindlel & Sony
I just purchased To Judge or Not to Judge from Amazon after meeting the author (Frits Forrer) today. My daughter wanted a book not yet available in a digital edition (Five Years Under the Swastika: Through a Childs Eye) - so I bought the paper-version & he signed it for her.
He was VERY interesting & I'm really looking forward to reading BOTH books!
mcspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #59
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Just seen this thread and thought I would put a word in for the Matthew Shardlake series of books by C J Sansom - they are sort of crime novels with the central character being a lawyer in Henry VIII period England. All are available as e-books for purchase (in the UK at least).
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #60
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I LOVE Wilbur Smith's writings... He has always got a disclaimer if the history doesn't quit meet the timeline of the books...

Unfortunately his ebooks are not available in Australia... and I don't read paper books anymore.. Too hard on hands and shoulders...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote