Old 03-31-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
einkuser
Enthusiast
einkuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th generation, Onyx Boox Nova
Questions on the Onyx Boox Nova

Hello!

I have three questions on the Onyx Boox Nova:

(1) Does the native Onyx Boox Nova e-reading application (neoreader) support Kepub e-books? I have a large library of Kepub books that I read on my Kobo Aura H20.

(2) I read the Boox Nova charges via USB-C. Would anyone know if any USB-C cable works or do you have to use the supplied cable? It would be a problem if you lose the cable provided if it only charges via the supplied one.

(3) Is the Onyx Nova screen superior to the Likebook Mars? Does the text appear darker and clearer, in comparison to Likebook Mars, or is it slightly faded?

Many thanks!
einkuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:14 AM   #2
einkuser
Enthusiast

Just an extra note: my Kepub e-books are DRM free. I used Calibre to convert the e-books from Epub to Kepub. Kobo e-readers don't handle Epub e-books very well.
Advert
Old 03-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by einkuser View Post

(1) Does the native Onyx Boox Nova e-reading application (neoreader) support Kepub e-books? I have a large library of Kepub books that I read on my Kobo Aura H20.
Books which end with .kepub.epub work just fine with Neoreader, the native reading app on the Nova. However, since you seem to be familiar with Calibre, you could also just convert your books to the regular .epub format if you encountered some difficulties with any of them.

Quote:
(2) I read the Boox Nova charges via USB-C. Would anyone know if any USB-C cable works or do you have to use the supplied cable? It would be a problem if you lose the cable provided if it only charges via the supplied one.
I have never experienced any difficulties using any of my USB-C cables with the Nova Pro and I have used a good variety of cables which came with different devices. I tend just to use whichever cable is most handy without thinking too much about it. That said, I seem to remember that some people commented on the fact that their Onyx devices didn't work very well with their Apple cables.

Quote:
(3) Is the Onyx Nova screen superior to the Likebook Mars? Does the text appear darker and clearer, in comparison to Likebook Mars, or is it slightly faded?
As I don't have a Likebook Mars, I haven't a clue. However, the Nova Pro screen is very clear. I don't really notice any difference between it and my Kobo Aura One.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's an excellent review of the Nova Pro to the Likebook Muses which also contains a link to the video review of the two devices:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-review-video/
Old 03-31-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
einkuser
Enthusiast

Smile

Thank you very much for your answers.

All my e-books are .kepub.epub and it's good to hear they'll work with no problems. The Likebook Mars is a good e-reader but its native software is a work in progress. I heard neoreader is more stable and overall superior.

E-Ink screens vary between units. On paper, they might have the same screen technology and PPI but you notice differences close-up. Some screen backgrounds are lighter than others. Text contrast and clarity vary between screens too. For example, I owned the Kobo Aura One and its text appeared darker in comparison to the Aura H20 (it is not related to the slight PPI difference). The Likebook Mars's screen is also not as good as the Aura One.
Advert
Old 03-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Here's an excellent review of the Nova Pro to the Likebook Muses which also contains a link to the video review of the two devices:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-review-video/
Thanks! What are the three options for screensaver available with the 2.1 update?
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have both the Nova (not the Pro) and the Likebook Mars. Comparisons must always proceed with caution, because displays and lighting can vary between individual units of the same device. In my experience, the Likebook Mars is very good. However, I would rate my Nova as slightly better in text crispness, lighting, and overall performance. I use my Nova far more often than I use my Mars.

I have also used a variety of USB-C cables with my Nova, and all work just fine.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Thanks! What are the three options for screensaver available with the 2.1 update?
They are just different sets of pictures which you can use as screensavers. One is called MM, which seems to be pictures of a model. Another is called Clocks, which are pictures of, you guessed it, clocks. The final one is called Letters, which contains some phrases constructed out of letter blocks.

I wouldn't really want any of them as a screensaver, and have deleted them accordingly.

The stock screensaver images which it comes with, hand drawn sketches of street scenes, are much preferable.

However, I usually select pictures or photos which I like to be the screensaver. Simple to do. Just go into the storage area, long press on a picture and select to save it as a screensaver.

If you wanted, you could even take a screenshot of whatever page you are on in whatever book you are reading and then select that screenshot as the screensaver. Could be handy if you wanted to be able to reference certain information without turning your device on. Could especially be handy when using with maps when hiking. No need to consume power by turning on the device just to check your map.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

[QUOTE=

However, I usually select pictures or photos which I like to be the screensaver. Simple to do. Just go into the storage area, long press on a picture and select to save it as a screensaver.

If you wanted, you could even take a screenshot of whatever page you are on in whatever book you are reading and then select that screenshot as the screensaver. Could be handy if you wanted to be able to reference certain information without turning your device on. Could especially be handy when using with maps when hiking. No need to consume power by turning on the device just to check your map.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Would be nice to have the cover of the book being read automatically be the screensaver. but that should be easy enough, and great suggestion about the map!
Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
bit101
Connoisseur
bit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Nova Pro
I have noticed that a couple of my usb cables do not charge the Nova Pro. But others do. It seems like some are just a little bit shorter and don't go in far enough to make the power connection.
bit101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #11
bit101
Connoisseur
bit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
They are just different sets of pictures which you can use as screensavers. One is called MM, which seems to be pictures of a model. Another is called Clocks, which are pictures of, you guessed it, clocks. The final one is called Letters, which contains some phrases constructed out of letter blocks.

I wouldn't really want any of them as a screensaver, and have deleted them accordingly.

The stock screensaver images which it comes with, hand drawn sketches of street scenes, are much preferable.

If you wanted, you could even take a screenshot of whatever page you are on in whatever book you are reading and then select that screenshot as the screensaver. Could be handy if you wanted to be able to reference certain information without turning your device on. Could especially be handy when using with maps when hiking. No need to consume power by turning on the device just to check your map.
The 2.1 firmware has a screensaver app which lets you set the image for the power off screen and 3 different images for the sleep screen.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit101 View Post
The 2.1 firmware has a screensaver app which lets you set the image for the power off screen and 3 different images for the sleep screen.
On my Nova Pro running FW 2.1, you set the power off screen and the sleep screen screensavers by long pressing on a picture and then selecting it as the screensaver.

If I open up the screensaver app, all it contains are the links to download the pictures which I described which you could then use as screensavers if you so chose.

When you open up your screensaver app does it offer to do anything other than download images? Are there any settings when you open it up from the app area?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
bit101
Connoisseur

Quote:
On my Nova Pro running FW 2.1, you set the power off screen and the sleep screen screensavers by long pressing on a picture and then selecting it as the screensaver.

If I open up the screensaver app, all it contains are the links to download the pictures which I described which you could then use as screensavers if you so chose.

When you open up your screensaver app does it offer to do anything other than download images? Are there any settings when you open it up from the app area?
You are correct. My memory was faulty.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
jscris
Addict

Question: Using Moon+ Reader Pro and with a Night theme (white text on black), I'd like to change the refresh rate because I'm getting some ghosting. Optimizing the app, I can do this and change contrast, but I can't get the Night theme any way that I've tried, even changing the css. Is there a trick I haven't found? I just got the Nova Pro late yesterday so haven't had a lot of time to play. Thanks for any suggestions! Still on 2.0.1 firmware.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Question: Using Moon+ Reader Pro and with a Night theme (white text on black), I'd like to change the refresh rate because I'm getting some ghosting. Optimizing the app, I can do this and change contrast, but I can't get the Night theme any way that I've tried, even changing the css. Is there a trick I haven't found? I just got the Nova Pro late yesterday so haven't had a lot of time to play. Thanks for any suggestions! Still on 2.0.1 firmware.
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. Are you getting ghosting while using Night mode in Moon+ Reader, and you want to change the refresh rate to try and minimize this ghosting while in Night mode?

Or, do you want to use Night mode because you are getting ghosting, but are unsure of how to activate it?

In the open Moon+ Reader app, it is easy to switch on the Night mode by tapping the black and white circle in the status bar. It is not something which is turned on in the Optimization settings when you long press on an app.

However, if you are already using Night mode in Moon+ Reader , but want to improve the refresh rate, you could try selecting Use Regal Mode from the list of options in Optimization settings when you long press on an app. That is supposed to help with issues of ghosting. You could also play around with the Full Refresh by Count option.