Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Sci-Fi Romance?

Asking for a friend! hahaha

Seriously, my wife loves Romance novels. Johanna Lindsay being her favourite author and recently the "Misadventures" books being a guilty pleasure. To be clear, gushy Romance with a little hint of erotica rather than Erotica disguised as Romance is her thing.

The other night she was asking for suggestions of good Sci-Fi with Romance in it and I was at a complete loss.

Any suggestions?
PKFFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Has she tried Linnea Sinclair or Carol Van Natta? Both write science fiction that includes a romance. I also like some by Susan Grant, although her newer stuff is more even that her older stuff. The older stuff was published under romance imprints, and they tended to be "romances in a SF world" rather than "science fiction with a romance included". Her newer stuff, which is self-published, is more the second. I've read and enjoyed it.

I can give you specific titles if she wants a starting place, but she can look around Amazon and see what interests her. I've seen some of Linnea Sinclair's in ebook libraries. And maybe the older Susan Grant's. But I don't think I've seen Carol Van Natta in any ebook library.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2020, 01:26 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post

The other night she was asking for suggestions of good Sci-Fi with Romance in it and I was at a complete loss.

Any suggestions?
Only SF, or science fiction and fantasy? Any subgenre preferences? My first rec would be Cordelia's Honor by Bujold.

I suggest she start by poking around the Science Fiction/Fantasy tag at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. And the Goodreads SF Romance landing page.

Last edited by meeera; 03-23-2020 at 01:29 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Only SF, or science fiction and fantasy? Any subgenre preferences? My first rec would be Cordelia's Honor by Bujold.

I suggest she start by poking around the Science Fiction/Fantasy tag at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. And the Goodreads SF Romance landing page.
Why did they rename the book? It used to be Shards of Honor. And I agree it is a good place to start with Science Fiction that includes Romance.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Why did they rename the book? It used to be Shards of Honor.
It's Shards of Honor + Barrayar.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I just read Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik. It was a good blend of sci-fi and romance. It's a whole trilogy. The third book is out in May, I think.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I third Bujold's "Cordelia's Honor" (aka "Shards of Honor" + "Barrayar").

Bujold's "Falling Free" and "Ethan of Athos" are standalone books in the same world, with some romance, although it's not as central to the plot in either of those. (In "Ethon of Athos" the romantic couple are both men, in case that's relevant.)

Some of Lee & Miller's Liaden books are also romances. I recommend starting with "Local Custom". (Warning: Many of their books have romance as an important part of the story, but not all of them have the HAE/HFN (happy ever after/happy for now) ending that's central to the romance genre. "Local Custom" does.)

I have a feeling I should know of more SF with romance, but I can't think of any now. If she's also interested in fantasy, I'll have a lot more recommendations.

<off topic>

"hahaha"

"guilty pleasure"

Sigh. I really wish romance wasn't seen as ridiculuos or something to feel ashamed of.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Another author to check out is Anne McCaffrey. She wrote a lot of SciFi and Fantasy with romance elements.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's Shards of Honor + Barrayar.
Thank you. I should have realized that they created an omnibus. I still remember the enjoyment I got the first time I read both books. I have reread them numerous times over the years and still enjoy them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #10
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Thanks for all the suggestions. That should get her started at least.

As for fantasy and other sub-genres..........yes she likes fantasy as well. She is definitely more of a Sci-Fi "lite" kind of girl than hard Sci-Fi though.

And I use the term "guilty pleasure" only in jest as it is such a common meme. My wife is quite open about her love of Romance novels.
PKFFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For fantasy romance I liked the earlier ones set in the nine kingdoms by Lynn Kurland. About halfway or so through the series they started getting a bit formulaic but the first few I liked a lot; she's set herself a requirement to write one a year or somesuch.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:40 AM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
[...]<off topic>

"hahaha"

"guilty pleasure"

Sigh. I really wish romance wasn't seen as ridiculuos or something to feel ashamed of.
But on that note, it matches up well with Sci Fi: both cover a huge range of stories, and the stigma of the lesser infects the better.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The In Death series by J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts)? I haven't read them, but was under the impression that they were Sci-Fi and romance.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The In Death series by J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts)? I haven't read them, but was under the impression that they were Sci-Fi and romance.
They are good.
The SF element is mostly that they are set in the Future:
Air (capable) cars, Space Habitats

I would start reading order (spoilers if you don't), then it probably does not matter after the firs 10 (have not read many past that point)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #15
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Some fantasy with romance:

Mary Robinette Kowal: Shades of Milk and Honey
(often described as Jane Austen with magic)

Lois McMaster Bujold: The Talisman Ring
(Renaissance-ish Italy)

Patricia Wrede: A Matter of Magic
(Regency with magic)

K.J. Charles: The Magpie Lord
1800s England with magic. Some explicit sex scenes. The author has made the first book in the series free now because of the epidemic. Enemies to lovers.
Quote:
He looked like a clerk, the ten-a-penny kind who drudged in every counting house, except that he had tawny-gold eyes that were vividly glowing in his pale rigid face, and they were staring at Crane with something that looked extraordinarily like hate.
“I’m Lucien Vaudrey,” said Crane, extending his hand.
“You’re Lord Crane,” said the visitor, not extending his. “I had to be sure. But you’re a Vaudrey of Lychdale, aren’t you?”
Crane looked at the naked hostility in the other man’s face and posture, and strolled to a conclusion, since he hardly needed to jump.
“I take it you’ve encountered my brother, Hector,” he said. “Or possibly my father.”
“Both.” The little man spat the word out. “Oh, I’ve encountered your family alright. It’s something of an irony to be sent to help one of you.”
Zen Cho: Sorcerer to the Crown
which contains what may be my favourite paragraph in a book ever:
Quote:
Prunella had once thought life in London would be all flirting and balls and dresses, hitting attentive suitors on the shoulder with a fan, and breakfasting late upon bowls of chocolate. She sighed now for her naïveté. Little had she known life in London was in fact all hexes and murder and thaumaturgical politics, and she would always be rising early for some reason or other!
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote