Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
curry_sinatra
curry_sinatra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
In search for fine tip stylus for kobo for sketching

Hi friends. I'm really liking the sketching function in the Plato reader on my Kobo AuraH2O2. Can anyone recommend a fine tipped stylus that would work on this kobo? thank you
curry_sinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:42 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The actual touch input is quite low resolution. A fine tip will make little or no difference. Apple didn't invent the capacitive finger interface, it was a 20 year old tech. Older phones and PDAs used resistive to allow annotation, selection of tiny items and handwriting, depending on models. Modern high resolution input tends to add Wacom tablet mode or resistive (much cheaper) to the capacitive layer. The IR touch on older ereaders is slightly lower resolution than capacitive is technically able to do. It is about 30 years old.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
curry_sinatra

thanks but its great for what i need. i need the fine tip more for my eyes than for the tablet
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry_sinatra View Post
thanks but its great for what i need. i need the fine tip more for my eyes than for the tablet
I think the answer to your question is, we don't know. While people have mentioned they have used a stylus, it is rare. I expect they are using whatever they had at hand.

And @Quoth's point is that the touch resolution is probably fairly low. The device is designed to be used with a finger. The resolution they need is whatever is needed to detect a finger. It is possible that a fine tipped stylus won't be detected properly.

In any case, I think you will have to experiment yourself and see what works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:25 AM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Hi friends. I'm really liking the sketching function in the Plato reader on my Kobo AuraH2O2. Can anyone recommend a fine tipped stylus that would work on this kobo? thank you

I imagine any fine tipped capacitive stylus that works on an iPad will do. I have a Wacom Bamboo duo that I use with my iPhone (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L1...b_b_asin_title). It’s msrp is $29.99, but Amazon’s selling it for <$10. It works fine on my Clara HD. However, it’s not a fine tip.

If you’re looking for a finer tip, your options are limited because most vendors are now pushing powered Apple Pencil clones, but this link should show you quite a few capacitive styluses. Penyeah and Mekko make some 5-in-1 pens that’ll fit the bill. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=capacitiv...e+tip&ref=is_s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
curry_sinatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I imagine any fine tipped capacitive stylus that works on an iPad will do. I have a Wacom Bamboo duo that I use with my iPhone (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L1...b_b_asin_title). It’s msrp is $29.99, but Amazon’s selling it for <$10. It works fine on my Clara HD. However, it’s not a fine tip.

If you’re looking for a finer tip, your options are limited because most vendors are now pushing powered Apple Pencil clones, but this link should show you quite a few capacitive styluses. Penyeah and Mekko make some 5-in-1 pens that’ll fit the bill. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=capacitiv...e+tip&ref=is_s

Thank you guys. A powered apple pen clone or a samsung s pen clone from amazon is what im considering. It says 'capacitive' in the description for both of them. Are you hinting that will not work?

thanks
Old 06-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Thank you guys. A powered apple pen clone or a samsung s pen clone from amazon is what im considering. It says 'capacitive' in the description for both of them. Are you hinting that will not work?

thanks
My samsung s pen (for a note tablet) doesn't work on any device without a digitizer in the screen. ie not a normal capacitive phone, nor an ereader (tested on a capacitive ereader, my KA1 & tested on an IR ereader Kobo Glo). It needs the digitizer in the screen to work at all. Just as a normal capacitive stylus will work like a finger on my note tablet, but will not engage with the digitizer, so will have none of the benefits of the digitizer, and will work identical to a finger. So in other words, no, it would be a waste of money to buy a s pen clone.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

thanks

It’s as Unsheikid said, an Apple Pen clone won’t work. I have an Apple Pen. It does nothing on my Kobo. There are powered capacitive styluses out there, but they require software to pair with the device, software that the Kobo doesn’t have. You will need a non-powered capacitive device for your Kobo. That’s why I recommended the styluses that I did. They have several fine tips to choose from (disc, nib, etc) and they are capacitive, so your Kobo will recognize them.

Did you look at the styluses I recommended? I think you’ll like them. Even though they’re more pen-like than pencil-like, they aren’t bulky. Do you need me to post the specific URLs?

Old 06-06-2020, 11:09 PM   #9
curry_sinatra

Cootey I checked out your links and if I find nothing thinner, i think i'll go for the 5-in1 deal you posted. Again I appreciate your help. Here is the forerunner for me though... maybe i'll just buy both: https://www.amazon.com/Goodtechnical...6&tag=mr060-20
Old 06-08-2020, 04:26 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Cootey I checked out your links and if I find nothing thinner, i think i'll go for the 5-in1 deal you posted. Again I appreciate your help. Here is the forerunner for me though... maybe i'll just buy both: https://www.amazon.com/Goodtechnical...6&tag=mr060-20
I didn't see that one! Looks nice. You'll have to let us know how well it works.

Good luck!

~Dˢ
Old 06-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #11
curry_sinatra

will do. it's on it's way from China so not anytime soon i think

Tags
sketch, stylus