Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #661
AZBronco
AZBronco began at the beginning.

Device: Kbo Libra H2O
Hi all. New member--but I've been using eReaders for a long time--going all the way back to 2008 with my first Sony eReader (PRS700)--cost me $300, but I was hooked. After that, I got a smaller PRS350 and in 2015 added a Kindle Paperwhite. Anyway, my Sony PRS350 no longer holds a charge. At all. Zip. So, I need to either replace the battery or buy a new Kobo. I heard Rakuten ships out of Toronto, so shipping to the US can take a while. I went to Walmart's website and see they only have Kobo readers available from 3rd party resellers and they cost like $50 more than buying from Kobo.com. Has the partnership with Walmart ended? Not a huge deal--it was just surprising because when I was looking last week, Walmart had them in stock. Now, the Libra isn't listed on their eBook "Shop for eReader" link--and the Clara and Forma are also only available from 3rd parties. Walmart does show my local store has the Aura Walmart Edition in stock--does that have the same Overdrive integration that the Libra has?

I like the form factor of the Libra--especially buttons; I just don't like tapping and swiping the screen in the Kindle. I've read about the lighting issues, but my Kindle Paperwhite has the same issue of cones in a couple areas, but it never bothered me. I've considered just replacing the battery on the Sony, but it doesn't have any lighting--so everything is an upgrade!
AZBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #662
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
@AZBronco If shipping from Canada turns out to be best, many in the US have preferred buying from Chapters/Indigo @ chapters.ca, rather than directly from Kobo.com, since the price is in Canadian dollars, so even with an added shipping fee, it usually turns out to be quite the deal for those paying in USD.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #663
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBronco View Post
I went to Walmart's website and see they only have Kobo readers available from 3rd party resellers and they cost like $50 more than buying from Kobo.com. Has the partnership with Walmart ended?
It just comes and goes. Sometimes Walmart has them, sometimes they don't. When they have them the prices are reasonable.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:18 AM   #664
swimon126
Enthusiast
swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrand View Post
I have bought 2 Libra's but both have the most uneven screen you can imagine. I've returned both as I did with several Kobo's in the past, should be 10+ for sure. I'm willing to pay for a good device, no problem, but immediately will return my new devices if they don't have a screen with good lighting.
The one I returned today had terrible cones coming from the side with the buttons. I thought this was a problem from the past but Kobo still hasn't resolved this one!
This is probably the main reason why I held back from buying any Kobo devices. The Clara HD I bought had the same issue. Uneven lighting. Light bleeds. Weird color/tint gradient (no, changing the color temperature doesn't cut it). These issues might not bother some people, but to me, I notice them immediately. When Kobo fixes this issue across all/most of their devices, I will jump back in. But for now, I'll stick to my PW.
swimon126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #665
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Just got my Libra H2O last week and am happy to report that my unit has perfectly even lighting, no gradient issues. My only (minor) complaint is that the power button doesn't make sense on the back top left of the unit. I'd prefer it to be on the back top right corner. Also wish the indicator light was on the side of the unit next to the USB port. Other than those fairly minor nits, I'm very happy with it.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #666
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimon126 View Post
This is probably the main reason why I held back from buying any Kobo devices. The Clara HD I bought had the same issue. Uneven lighting. Light bleeds. Weird color/tint gradient (no, changing the color temperature doesn't cut it). These issues might not bother some people, but to me, I notice them immediately. When Kobo fixes this issue across all/most of their devices, I will jump back in. But for now, I'll stick to my PW.
They did get the Claras fixed eventually. I bought one last summer and it's fine, and others here have also reported that theirs are OK.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #667
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
They did get the Claras fixed eventually. I bought one last summer and it's fine, and others here have also reported that theirs are OK.
My Clara HD purchased a couple months ago doesn’t seem to have any screen, lighting, bleed, color, etc. issues. The screen is magnificent. Love looking at it.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #668
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What !!??? It doesn't have any screen ??!!

That reminds me of the time I bought a hamburger and they forgot to put the beef on it. (True story.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #669
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

That reminds me of the time I bought a hamburger and they forgot to put the beef on it. (True story.)
well, you don't have to worry about the light bleed problem if there's no screen
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #670
swimon126
Enthusiast
swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
That's good to hear. I guess I ran out of luck when I bought one last year. But I saw some images of the Libra and its "green" screen (when compared side-by-side with the Kindle). Wonder if most units have that and if it's standard.

Last edited by swimon126; 06-10-2020 at 12:09 PM.
swimon126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #671
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

I was at a Taco Bell once where the taco I got had hardly any meat in it so I had to go back to the counter to ask for more meat.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #672
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimon126 View Post
That's good to hear. I guess I ran out of luck when I bought one last year. But I saw some images of the Libra and its "green" screen (when compared side-by-side with the Kindle). Wonder if most units have that and if it's standard.
Mine had an obvious greenish tinge when I first turned it on. Switched it to a warmer hue immediately and problem solved. The Comfort Light is one of the reasons I wanted the Libra in the first place.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #673
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was at a Taco Bell once where the taco I got had hardly any meat in it so I had to go back to the counter to ask for more meat.
Yeah, but I think Taco Bell does that on purpose
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:29 AM   #674
Cybrand
Cybrand began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Got my 4th Libra today and will send it back immediately as this one has that very uneven lighting too. I only can say that the Libra is a piece of overpriced junk! Will Kobo ever learn???
Cybrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #675
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrand View Post
Got my 4th Libra today and will send it back immediately as this one has that very uneven lighting too. I only can say that the Libra is a piece of overpriced junk! Will Kobo ever learn???
You seemed to be OK with the price because you ordered the Libra in the first place. And you seemed to like the device, because you got 4 of them instead of just returning the first one and get your money back.

I get your frustration, but I don‘t know a single brand, where I didn‘t had problems with the lighting. I sent back a lot of Kobos and Kindles.

The Libra is an excellent reader. Maybe just order from another place and get a better device from a different batch.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote