Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
swellanddecay
swellanddecay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Can't Register PW1 After Reset (post jailbreak)

Hello all! New to this forum and hoping I could get some help.

I spent all last night trying to mess around and jailbreak my PW1 so I could add custom fonts to it. It took me a while, but I downgraded the OS, installed the jailbreak, and seemed to be all set. The thing is, after jailbreaking, I didn't seem to be able to download my books from the cloud. It would briefly flash "pending" when I tapped the book cover, and then nothing would happen.

I eventually gave up, plugged my kindle in and removed the files the jailbreak added, and then factory reset. Since then, I've been unable to register my device with Amazon. I'm able to connect to Wi-Fi, but every time I put in my username and password it gives the following error message:

Unable to Connect

There was an error while registering yoru Kindle. Please try again later.

I called Amazon support and they seemed to think it was an issue with my router, but I also didn't tell them I had tried jailbreaking my kindle. Did I brick my device? Is there any way to save this thing? Appreciate any help you all could give me!
swellanddecay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
BIG NOTE:
You just shot yourself in the foot by doing that "Reset (to factory defaults)"
Re-install the jail break, before updating to the current firmware.

You also didn't tell them you had "downgraded" the device.
If you had, they would have told you to install the current firmware for the PW1

So I will,
Install the current firmware for the PW1 (5.6.1.1) (after re-installing the jailbreak).
That will fix your connection problems (no support for TLS, which Amazon started using a year ago ).
And the jailbreak will survive.
And you have re-install all add-ins, which is normal after an Amazon update.

Last edited by knc1; 12-03-2017 at 12:52 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert