Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Calibre interface looking ugly since update to Mac OS Mojave

Hi,
I've updated to Mac OS Mojave (Beta). Everything is working fine. But the surface of Calibre is looking ugly now and I don't know how to get it fixed.
See attachment. The font looks terrible. Any ideas?
Cheers, Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-16 um 22.55.29.png
Views:	370
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	165070  
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have you tried changing the font, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	165072

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid I really dont have the resources to support beta OSes. Hopefully, Apple will fix whatever regression there is in the beta to cause that before the final release of Mojave, if not I will look into it once the release is made.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm afraid I really dont have the resources to support beta OSes. Hopefully, Apple will fix whatever regression there is in the beta to cause that before the final release of Mojave, if not I will look into it once the release is made.
No worries, Kovid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have you tried changing the font, viz:

BR
Yes, I have tried to change the font but it remains ugly and hard to read.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Dirk-71
Zealot

Ok, there was a new beta version of Mojave. It's better now. So, it's no issue of Calibre.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
Ok, there was a new beta version of Mojave. It's better now. So, it's no issue of Calibre.
Good to hear, thanks. There is still the problem of adding support for the new dark theme in Mojave, I believe the Qt developers are working on that, so hopefully it will happen.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
I did install Mojave this week when it was publicly released and now all the fonts in Calibre look bold, pretty much as in the picture shown earlier in the thread, from the beta!

Seriously not an issue, just wanted to point it out
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I don't run Mojave, and for that matter rarely run calibre on my Macs, but since I run Macs at work I follow various Mac orientated forums.

From what I've seen, there seems to be a change in the font smoothing that Apple uses. From the posts I've seen, the issue is at the OS level and not something that apps need to adjust for. Also, the problem seems to be more significant on non-Retina displays, based on the posts I've seen.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah basically apple removed sub-pixel anti-aliasing for mojave. Which can make fonts look more blocky on low resolution displays such as non-retina macs/external monitors.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
Same problem here ...

I have a macbook from Mid-2012 with non-retina display. Both the GUI and the ebook-viewer are difficult and tiringly to look at.

I find it hard to understand why apple removed the above mentioned font feature. There are however some geek tips to fix blurry fonts and enable subpixel antialiasing:

https://www.howtogeek.com/358596/how...-antialiasing/

Cheers

Chris
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #11
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
Sorry: To be more precise, the sub pixel antialiasing is NOT enabled, but "However, this does increase font weight, which makes fonts look less jagged and all-around better on the MacBook Air and other low-resolution displays."
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 AM   #12
theengine
Enthusiast
theengine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am on a 2013 Mac with 10.14 Mojave, non Retina screen.

To revert Calibre fonts on my machine to the way they were, I unticked "Use font smoothing when available" in System Preferences-General (at the very bottom).
theengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #13
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theengine View Post
I am on a 2013 Mac with 10.14 Mojave, non Retina screen.

To revert Calibre fonts on my machine to the way they were, I unticked "Use font smoothing when available" in System Preferences-General (at the very bottom).
Thank you for this, that fixed my issue
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote