Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to pay?
up to $ 5.-- 7 9.46%
up to $ 10,-- 6 8.11%
up to $ 20,-- 13 17.57%
more then $ 20.-- 4 5.41%
I'll never pay for a FW update 44 59.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #31
greeny
greeny began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
HI All, I think maybe a better solution all round would be to open up the firmware (ala Linux). There are lots of clever people out there that would be able to add all the features that are required. Bookeen could then "vet" the changes and if they are up to release standards then could release the firmware on "their" site.
I actually think charging for firmware updates would be a no go to be honest. I know Apple do it but only because they have excellent and innovative user devices (I have an ipod and hate the bloody thing!!) that the mass seem to like (or think they need!). I actually think Apple on the only ones that I have come across that actually charge for firmware updates!! They can possibly do that at the moment when they are considers market leaders. When the competition stiffens up (as it surely must) things may well turn out differently.

Just my thoughts and I love my Cybook :-)
greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
I actually think Apple on the only ones that I have come across that actually charge for firmware updates!!
Another example is Compaq, who charge for major firmware updates to their iPaq Pocket PCs. And, of course, all GPS manufacturers charge for map updates, which is pretty similar kind of thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #33
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I think the argument is not if a company should or should not charge for a thing… - upgraded firmware in this case -, as in this still, market society everyone can charge for anything.…

The question posed was, if I would pay for it, and my answer still is a big No!
And, if I would not get served in a way I think is acceptable… I just change to another company if needed.

More, in this case, my Cybook works perfectly well and mostly the way I want it to - I have reported it several times in the past - even if I have been one of the first who called for an upgrade immediately Sony did come out with the reflow pdf and epub upgrade to their 505 (July 2008), and now I even know I will not be having the same on the same machine - I will have to choose epub or mobipocket, and the pdf part will not reflow…

Finally if Bookeen will come out with an upgrade, any upgrade who permits the Cybook to work better, great, if it has functionalities that serve others better even if I do not need/care for them, even better, if the bloody thing just comes out more then a year after the last one (hell it did pass 10 months already!) I can live with it, even if I find it… well… my adjectives will be not proper to put here…

But pay for it, I will not!

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 07-15-2009 at 11:30 AM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #34
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
One argument against the case would be the following:
If your device, bought for a specific price, gets an update (and you will be charged for it), its value drops without it. Newly sold releases, otherwise unchanged, will include the update for the same price (or even lower).
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #35
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
The question posed was, if I would pay for it, and my answer still is a big No!
And, if I would not get served in a way I think is acceptable… I just change to another company if needed.
Yeah, because it's way better to buy a new device for $250,--, then to "waste" say a 10-20 bucks on the CyBook... I like it, when someone sticks to his principles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
But pay for it, I will not!
So you have never bought any upgrades to a software on your computer or bought one of EAs sports games and its follow-ups?!

BTW: I'm not saying Bookeen should start charging for their FW updates. I just thought, there could be a way to get them interested into providing some features (we want), they otherwise wouldn't consider.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #36
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
One argument against the case would be the following:
If your device, bought for a specific price, gets an update (and you will be charged for it), its value drops without it. Newly sold releases, otherwise unchanged, will include the update for the same price (or even lower).
And sometimes they even upgrade the hardware...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #37
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Yeah, because it's way better to buy a new device for $250,--, then to "waste" say a 10-20 bucks on the CyBook... I like it, when someone sticks to his principles!
Personally, I wouldn't ditch the device straight away - but when it came to replacing it, I'd buy the next one elsewhere. (I wouldn't buy upgrades in the meantime.)

Also, I think firms offering new types of devices need early adopters to get going; and early adopters need to know they're not going to have to pay for improved firmware - which is a punishment for buying too soon.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It might be much better to buy a new device with more of the functionality you want and better possibility for more functionality in the future than support a company with a bad track record in adding new functionality.

And principles always win over money if you have the money.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #39
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I guess I needed a "maybe" choice on the poll. I'd like to see some of the things we've all been asking for, like folders, the delete button, quick route to lookup, etc. before I committed to paying for other options.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #40
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Personally, I wouldn't ditch the device straight away - but when it came to replacing it, I'd buy the next one elsewhere. (I wouldn't buy upgrades in the meantime.)

Also, I think firms offering new types of devices need early adopters to get going; and early adopters need to know they're not going to have to pay for improved firmware - which is a punishment for buying too soon.
I agree with that. Companies rely on early adopters buying expensive stuff which still has some bugs and lacks features. They provide important feedback and when the company then decides that those people had some excellent ideas which makes the product much more marketable, they then should have to pay for it? Seems a little unfair and I would expect that a lot of people would rather wait for a while before they buy (like waiting for the 1st Service Pack before you buy the next Windows).

This is not to say that I wouldn't be willing to pay for certain features, e.g. if Cybook introduced support for a new ebook format I would be willing to pay a small fee for that. I would not want to pay for bug fixes and minor improvements to - say - UI or drivers (if it's just cosmetic I don't need it and if it's necessary I would classify that as a bug).

The problem is that I doubt that this would be a viable business model for a company. Customers should have the right to bug fixes free of charge. That means that after they added a new chargeable feature they would have to offer two separate FW branches: one containing only bug fixes and one with the fixes plus the added feature. That could even split up further...

If you also take into account that every payment produces cost for the company (credit card fees, transaction fees, employees, software, etc.) a lot of small payments are not as lucrative as fewer but larger payments. It would be very hard to make any real money with that business model.

Also don't forget that if you can't make people accept the fact (or the price) that you charge for some feature they might try to get the FW update via illegal channels. Considering the small size of a FW compared to music files or DVDs I should think it's easy enough to share it illegally (and the media lobby won't help a small company fighting against illegal sharing of their FW).
Not that piracy should be any reason not to sell something. I just want to point out that if you are thinking of introducing a business model which people won't easily accept and which is rather weak in the first place that the chances of failure are rather high.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #41
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
And sometimes they even upgrade the hardware...
That is not part of the assumption
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #42
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
I wouldn't pay. My cybook freezes in the middle of reading, I've sent numerous emails to bookeen over the past 4 months and they keep saying it will be out within a couple of weeks. I don't care if it's two people coding, they make it sound like they're trying to create Windows from the ground up. It's getting ridiculous, and quite laughable.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #43
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I'd pay $50 for a FW upgrade that gave me folders. Yes, I know, I sound like a broken record. But it would really make my life perfect (assuming the Cubs really do pull it out in the second half!)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'd pay $50 for a FW upgrade that gave me folders.
You won't have tto pay for that
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think she means that she'd pay $50 to actually get it, rather than merely the endless "in a few weeks...." .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote