Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #91
Grey Ram
Enthusiast
Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Weight is the reason for me

I have three devices: a Kindle Keyboard, an iPod touch and a Playbook tablet.
I read on all of them but all things being equal, I prefer the kindle because it is lighter. When reading on the tablet the weight gets uncomfortable for me after about an hour when reading one-handed, and my eyesight is not the same it was twenty years ago, so reading on the iPod with a suitable font size makes me turn pages frequently.

None of those factors is a deal-breaker mind you, I could easily make do with just the Playbook tablet or just the iPod, but I've grown accustomed to the kindle, for me it's the closest thing to a book in terms of having it around me at any time because it weights less than a thin paperback, reading comfortably in bright lighting conditions (but not direct sunlight, I don't like reading while exposed to bright sunlight ), and forgetting about rechargers.

About the batteries, I initially had the kindle and the ipod, and used the ipod quite heavily to store contacts, receive e-mail, play games, internet access, reading and listening to music(of course!). As a result I had to recharge it daily and after about two years I had to have its battery replaced because it was holding just about three hours charge for moderate use. About the same time I bought the tablet in a sale, and it took over almost all the functions of the ipod, only leaving it to listen to music or reading in poor light. I honestly can't tell how long the kindle battery lasts now because I usually recharge it once a month when loading new books and only once have had it run out on me. As I said, for me it's not a deciding factor, but it is a major convenience nonetheless.
Grey Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #92
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My cats like to open my windows when I am reading on my PW and I love that I do not have to change the light setting while they are sunning. It's so adaptable. I leave mine on 8 at all times.
How do they do that? Do your windows open outward with a push or something?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #93
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
How do they do that? Do your windows open outward with a push or something?
No not the actually window but the slat blinds. They will sit on top the sofa and stick their paws or head through the slats opening them. I once had a cat who could open a door though. My current fur babies my youngest likes to open the kitchen drawers and cabinets. I had to baby proof everything.

I keep my windows and doors locked tight. I have some really crazy neighbors who moved in last year that think they own the place.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #94
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I choose to use my ebook reader for reading fiction due to greater portability, better battery life and I find eink screens much more pleasant to read on. I use my tablet to read PDFs because they render much better and are easier to navigate on the tablet.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #95
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Eye strain is the main reason; I get headaches after reading on an LCD for 30 minutes or so. Weight, battery life, and ease of reading in any lighting condition are most of the others. I also just prefer e-ink for text.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #96
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am a long time Kindle user but the Fire tablets have not had sufficient appeal for me: I prefer a normal Android experience (direct access to Google Play, etc) . On the other hand, while the Kindle app for Android is improving, it doesn't have most of the reading feature bells and whistles I've come to like on my Paperwhite. Finally I'm enamored of the iPad mini form factor but not its current screen resolution, would prefer Android, but Android clones are only starting to trickle out. So nothing that is available now interests me that much.

So while I don't have issues with reading on tablets per se, at this point I don't have one that I like for reading, and am waiting for the 'right' one to show up. Google is rumored to announce the successor to the Nexus 7/9 next week, an upgraded iPad mini is probably not far off, and then of course we'll see what Amazon comes up with. I'm optimistic something will come along that I'll like enough to use as a primary reading device, but if not, I'll keep waiting.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-10-2013 at 07:20 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #97
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess the real question is: Why would anyone want to read on a tablet. I mean avid readers of full books of course cause if one wants to read an instruction manual or a blog or the news, a tablet would be better suited.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #98
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I read on my Nexus 7 and Android phone (4 inch screen), and my opus, pb360 and Kobo mini. I prefer the eink readers but at night in bed I read on my nexus or phone.... 7 inch tablets are ok for reading I reckon...I have different books on all my gadgets... make reading more varied and fun for me anyways...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #99
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I guess the real question is: Why would anyone want to read on a tablet. I mean avid readers of full books of course cause if one wants to read an instruction manual or a blog or the news, a tablet would be better suited.
The choice comes down to which is a better fit for a particular person. Both ereaders and tablets have limitations. Ereaders are well suited to reading outdoors, while tablets are not. Tablets are suitable for reading colour or fixed format documents, while ereaders are not. Ereaders have the edge on weight and battery life. Tablets are more flexible. Pretending that there is one solution that fits everyone's needs (or even all of the needs of one person) is kinda silly. The two markets exist specifically because one devices cannot meet everyone's needs.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #100
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I often read in the train, and in summer time, ldc screen can get close to unreadable.

I have a tablet, read a bit with it, but it's just not as comfortable as my cybook.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #101
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I don't get eye-strain from reading on LCDs and the weight doesn't bother me either, I have no problems holding either of my two tablets (Original Galaxy Tab and a Transformer Infinity) in one hand, although I need to turn pages with my other hand using the ten inch tablet though.

I find no issues with the quality of the text on screen either. Using Mantano on a Transformer Infinity, to me has a much cleaner, crisper text than on my eInk readers. Although my new Aura HD may change my opinion on this.

In sunlight, yes the LCD readers may struggle a bit - especially my Galaxy Tab - but I still find they are usable. Ok I live in the U.K. and strong sunlight is not as commom here, but it can get pretty bright.

For me, I use whichever device is at hand, I couldn'd care less if it's a tablet or an eInk reader.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #102
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The choice comes down to which is a better fit for a particular person... Pretending that there is one solution that fits everyone's needs (or even all of the needs of one person) is kinda silly. The two markets exist specifically because one devices cannot meet everyone's needs.
This gets it just right, I think. I love my Kindle for reading fiction and long articles, and love my Android tablet for everything else. (I don't love the Nook Glow Worm quite as I expected to but that's a different story.) But if I could only have one, I'd keep the tablet and deal with its downsides.
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #103
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I guess the real question is: Why would anyone want to read on a tablet.
Why does anyone do anything differently than anyone else? I'm guessing it's because different people are different.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #104
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Your answer should be directed at the question asked in the title of this thread. I was only stressing my point by putting forth a rhetorical question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why does anyone do anything differently than anyone else? I'm guessing it's because different people are different.

Last edited by Quexos; 05-10-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #105
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Back pocket fit, does not.

Sunshine, readable is not.

Battery life, crappy be not.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote