Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
pg111
Connoisseur
pg111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Maintaining different sets of tags for similar books

Hi,

As everybody, I often have similar books in my calibre library. For instance, books by the same author or books about the same topics. Rather than individually typing the same long list of tags each time I acquire such a new similar book I wonder how to use the same set (sequence)of already defines tags.

How do you get this result?

Many thanks in advance for any tip.
pg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Edit Metadata>Copy metadata & Paste metadata , also Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Preferences->Tweaks->Exclude fields when copy/pasting metadata

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
pg111
Connoisseur
pg111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@BR

Thanks but I'm not sure I get your point.

Could you plse be more specific? Many thanks in advance.

Or could your previous suggestion to create empty books with just specified tag lists work?
pg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In the Edit metadata drop down menu you will find two options "Copy metadata' and 'Paste Metadata', viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	165707

In the book list, select the book you want to copy from, click the Edit metadata down arrow and select Copy metadata (or Ctrl+C); then select the book you want to copy to, click the Edit metadata down arrow and select Paste metadata (or Ctrl+V)

You can exclude columns from being copied via this tweak

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	165708

So if all you want to copy is Tags, you would exclude everything else.

Tip: if the books you want to copy from/to are by the same author, do a Similar Books search by same Author (Alt+A) first, that'll make it easier to spot the book you want to copy from.

I don't regard this as an alternative to my suggestion of creating an empty book with a defined set of values, which I use to 'approximate' a Controlled Vocabulary. This one is more of an on-the-spot convenience tool.

Moderator Notice
You probably noticed I moved your original post into a new thread, we prefer single topic threads, otherwise responses can get conflated.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-19-2018 at 05:41 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Another way: use BetterRed's "empty book" idea to create prototype book records. When you want to add a new book, select the appropriate empty prototype book (the one with the default metadata) then use Add books / Add empty book and press the "Duplicate current book" button. Change the metadata of the new book as needed.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert