Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Firmware Upgrade Available!

Firmware upgrade, just installed, which claims to fix the battery meter problem. New version is 1.0.3.07170.

Installed cleanly, don't know whether it fixes the battery update problem or not yet.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
eppythacher
Connoisseur
eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.

Device: prs-500, prs-650
I'm updating now...
eppythacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
jeffgrado
jeffgrado began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=2866&os_id=99

Nice
jeffgrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Just completed the update and my Reader is still alive. I just recharged it yesterday so it will take a week or so before I will be able to see if it actually fixed the battery meter issue.

It also said it fixes a problem when the reader is in sleep mode but I don't think that I have ever experienced a problem with that.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
My update apparently went smoothly. I note, though, that my meter indicator before I upgraded was showing 2 empty boxes and now it's showing as completely charged. Hope that's not an indicator of a different problem.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
tigajr
tigajr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thumbs down Months later and this?

Is this new firmware a joke?
  • Four to five months and only a mandatory battery meter correction?
  • Faster transfer speeds when using 4GB MS? What is going on? We cannot even have some type of subfolder navigation ability. I have to organize books on my hard disk and carry only what I am reading or planning to read. Come on, fill a 4GB MS with books? Am I a clown to Sony? Flipping through hundreds of books?
  • Improved handling of white bands on the audio playback screen? Well, priority was improving audio playback screen? I cannot believe that. Now I have a stable and enormous ipod.
  • Addresses security vulnerabilities? What? Which one?
Sorry people, I have lost hope with firmware improvements.

Tiga Jr.
tigajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

Seems to have gone smoothly here too, with battery bar showing full also I hope this means I can have a bit more faith in how much charge the battery has.
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bump!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigajr View Post
Is this new firmware a joke?
  • Four to five months and only a mandatory battery meter correction?
  • Faster transfer speeds when using 4GB MS? What is going on? We cannot even have some type of subfolder navigation ability. I have to organize books on my hard disk and carry only what I am reading or planning to read. Come on, fill a 4GB MS with books? Am I a clown to Sony? Flipping through hundreds of books?
  • Improved handling of white bands on the audio playback screen? Well, priority was improving audio playback screen? I cannot believe that. Now I have a stable and enormous ipod.
  • Addresses security vulnerabilities? What? Which one?
Sorry people, I have lost hope with firmware improvements.

Tiga Jr.
We have discussed the folder issue ad nausiam. The reason that it doesn't have folder support is without doubt because the ordinary man in the street, the non computer expert, does not understand or want folder support, and finds them confusing and baffling. Add folders and Sony would be flooded with support calls of the "I've downloaded a book and stored it on my Reader and now it's vanished" type. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who has to deal with the public on a computer support desk.

Why would you expect "new" functionality in the bug fix update such as this. You knew the capabilities of the system when you bought it; Sony have no obligration to provide you with new stuff free of charge. These updates are to fix bugs, and that's what they do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #10
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I'm laughing at the "security vulnerabilities" fix. I just know that my reader is gonna pick up some wicked virus in the park that's going to destroy western civilization. ;-)
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
well, i'd be happy if the 2GB-limit for memorysticks is indeed lifted (we'll see this evening). I'd be even more happy if the 2GB limit on SD-cards was lifted.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There appears to be a technical reason why support for >2GB SD cards is complex; I know of a number of devices which don't support them, and Bookeen have said that the new CyBook will also only support SD cards up to 2GB in size. I don't know what the issue is, but Sony are certainly not alone in having this limitation.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I'm laughing at the "security vulnerabilities" fix. I just know that my reader is gonna pick up some wicked virus in the park that's going to destroy western civilization. ;-)
Might I suggest -- suggest, mind you -- that "fixing" security vulnerabilities might deal with hacking vulnerabiliies dealing with DRM?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That would be a sensible thing for Sony to do - good suggestion, Don!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you expect "new" functionality in the bug fix update such as this. You knew the capabilities of the system when you bought it; Sony have no obligration to provide you with new stuff free of charge. These updates are to fix bugs, and that's what they do.
And I have no obligation to buy Sony again. Why should Sony? Because that is what aggressive competitive businesses to do get you to keep buying their products. Because enough customers felt cheated that the product did not have it to begin with. Rokku, Slingbox, Tivo, Apple, etc... all provide frequent updates which add functionality. As a result people are exited to buy their new product. I'm pretty sure that if a new competing product with more functionality comes out, many people here will switch since Sony has generated very little loyalty through their non-responsive, non-supportive approach to this product. And, insofar as the folder option, a simple "Turn Folders On/Off" in setup avoids that problem.
Love my reader with all its faults but don't have that warm and cuddly feeling about Sony that will make me come back again.
That said, update went fine. Lets hope it doesn't break something else like the last one.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote