Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Free ebook (multiple formats) with paper purchase - Machine of Death

The editors of the new anthology Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die have offered to send a free ebook version (when ready) to anyone who forwards an Amazon receipt from purchasing the paper version. The editors say there will be Kindle, ePub, text, and PDF versions, and possibly other formats as well.

Book description from Amazon:

Quote:
"The machine had been invented a few years ago: a machine that could tell, from just a sample of your blood, how you were going to die. It didn't give you the date and it didn't give you specifics. It just spat out a sliver of paper upon which were printed, in careful block letters, the words DROWNED or CANCER or OLD AGE or CHOKED ON A HANDFUL OF POPCORN. It let people know how they were going to die." MACHINE OF DEATH tells thirty-four different stories about people who know how they will die. Prepare to have your tears jerked, your spine tingled, your funny bone tickled, your mind blown, your pulse quickened, or your heart warmed. Or better yet, simply prepare to be surprised. Because even when people do have perfect knowledge of the future, there's no telling exactly how things will turn out. Featuring stories by: Randall Munroe * Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw * Tom Francis * Camille Alexa * Erin McKean * James L. Sutter * and many others. Featuring illustrations by: Kate Beaton * Kazu Kibuishi * Aaron Diaz * Jeffrey Brown * Scott C. * Roger Langridge * Karl Kerschl * Cameron Stewart * and many others.
This book is the result of a short story contest held by authors of two of my favorite webcomics, Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics and David Malki ! of Wondermark. By asking their fans to purchase the anthology on the same day (yesterday, Oct. 26), the editors managed to make the book Amazon's #1 bestseller for the day--and Amazon has (unilaterally) discounted the book, as of this writing, from $17.95 to $9.87.

NOTE - the editors have also promised to offer the manuscript free of charge in PDF and audiobook form on Nov. 2, 2010. However, it's not clear whether the Kindle/ePub versions will also be free. The goal of the free PDF is "building awareness and driving physical sales" - it will be interesting to see if that works for them.
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Cool Free PDF Now Available!

The creators of Machine of Death have now posted the free PDF version of the book here, and will also be releasing the book as a series of free podcasts (one per week).

And you guys! I ordered the paper version last week, and greedily devoured it as soon as it arrived. I really enjoyed it! Many of the stories were really interesting and inventive, and some of them pretty funny as well. I didn't fall in love with every single story, but I wouldn't expect to from an anthology, especially one from non-professional authors. I think it's really cool that a DIY effort like this has come out so well, and garnered some media attention to boot.

There is now a $9.99 Kindle version on Amazon (other versions are coming), but the creators will continue offering a free Kindle/ePub/iBoooks version to purchasers of the paper version, up until Friday, Nov. 5.

Finally, it might also entertain you to learn that a certain Mr. Glenn Beck had a hissy fit because this little self-published anthology managed to push his newly-released book off the top of Amazon's bestseller list for a day or so.
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I downloaded the free PDF version, you never can tell, it may be good, though it sounds a bit self indulgent and 'Precious' to me. But I doubt I would buy the book.

At any rate, it's on my read list.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I might have to purchase it if I can help Glen Beck have more than a hissy fit!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
This is fantastic. I love Wondermark, and there's Kate Beaton art! Thanks for the link.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLoon View Post
The creators of Machine of Death have now posted the free PDF version of the book here, and will also be releasing the book as a series of free podcasts (one per week).

And you guys! I ordered the paper version last week, and greedily devoured it as soon as it arrived. I really enjoyed it! Many of the stories were really interesting and inventive, and some of them pretty funny as well. I didn't fall in love with every single story, but I wouldn't expect to from an anthology, especially one from non-professional authors. I think it's really cool that a DIY effort like this has come out so well, and garnered some media attention to boot.

There is now a $9.99 Kindle version on Amazon (other versions are coming), but the creators will continue offering a free Kindle/ePub/iBoooks version to purchasers of the paper version, up until Friday, Nov. 5.

Finally, it might also entertain you to learn that a certain Mr. Glenn Beck had a hissy fit because this little self-published anthology managed to push his newly-released book off the top of Amazon's bestseller list for a day or so.
Sounds like a fun subject... I've read the first story after downloading the PDF...

Are you part of the team?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
LakeLoon
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Sounds like a fun subject... I've read the first story after downloading the PDF...

Are you part of the team?
Nope, no affiliation, other than being a fan of the webcomics I mentioned. Although if I had found out about the contest in time, I might have submitted a story . . .
Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
LakeLoon
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
This is fantastic. I love Wondermark, and there's Kate Beaton art! Thanks for the link.
My pleasure. Yes, Kate Beaton is great! And there's also a story (but no artwork) from Randall Munroe, creator of XKCD.