Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #76
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianZX9 View Post
Finally got mine to work. Thanks for a great program.

One question, is there any to add play controls for audio
while reading a book? maybe play/pause with the enter button?

Thanks
G
Glad you're fixed. Your idea for audio controls is a good one. Rather than the enter button, I think allowing the left-side forward/back buttons to (optionally) do this would work. The question is which key-codes and what functions to attach to them. For example the enter-key shutdown function is implemented via: <boolean key="0x27-hold" do="doDeviceShutdown"/> in the file applicationStart.xml.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #77
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
as per your suggestion I tried option 7, but an error message appeared about the failure to copy some file to a location; however, that message appeared to briefly to actually read it and note the particulars.

Out of curiosity, why should I need to reinstall the firmware update, if no hacks were previously attempted?
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #78
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I thought maybe having a clean slate would solve the problem or help aid in its diagnosis.

All the errors I've seen so far have been fixed by a simple re-flash of the firmware.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #79
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsan View Post
as per your suggestion I tried option 7, but an error message appeared about the failure to copy some file to a location; however, that message appeared to briefly to actually read it and note the particulars.

Out of curiosity, why should I need to reinstall the firmware update, if no hacks were previously attempted?
It's a known bug in Igorsk's universal flasher. After you applied option 7, did you attempt to re-do the Sony Updater?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #80
scottsan
Connoisseur

any suggestions.
I tired to reinstall the firmware update but the updater won't reinstall it.
Is the original firmware available somewhere?
Perhaps then I could reinstall the original, then the update, and try the hack again.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 08-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #81
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Did you go into the right mode? In order for it to re-flash you need to selection Option 7 from the hack flasher, then wait for the reboot, plug it in the pc when the splash screen comes in, and then run the original updater. That has worked twice for me thus far.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #82
scottsan
Connoisseur

when i pressed 7 a message appeared saying that a file could not be copied to a location, but the message came and went so fast, I could not get the details.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #83
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
when i pressed 7 a message appeared saying that a file could not be copied to a location, but the message came and went so fast, I could not get the details.
When you press option 7 from Igorsk's UF you'll see a message quickly flash by then your Reader should reboot. Once rebooted, you should see a message on your screen now directly underneath the Reader logo: Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again. At this point, connect the Reader to your PC and run the Sony Updater. Once the Sony Updater has run, your Reader software should be clean and updated. Finally now you can run PRSCustomizer and apply the hacks to your Reader.

In steps:

1. Insert SD card into Reader then run Igorsk's universal flasher: press option 7. Unmount card
2. Connect the Reader to your PC and update your firmware using the Sony Updater.
3. Insert the SD card containing PRSCustomizer into your card reader.
4. Run the PRSCustomizer software for your platform
5. Unmount the card, place it in your Reader, press options 5, then 6.

I just followed these exact steps on my Mac running Leopard w/o a problem.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #84
scottsan
Connoisseur

this exactly what happens when I press seven on the flasher:

a message briefly appears - error copying libfskLoad to /tmp

then the flasher menu reappears with the added message - if this message stays for a long time, something went wrong.

I can then press menu to exit, remove the sd card, and the prs505 works normally.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #85
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
a message briefly appears - error copying libfskLoad to /tmp
Try resetting the Reader. It's possible the /tmp directory is full.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #86
scottsan
Connoisseur

I did a hard reset and deleted the reader's contents, then tried to install the hack and got all the same error messages as before.

can't i just reinstall the original firmware, then use the updater?

of course, that's if the original is available somewhere. I checked sony's site to no avail.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #87
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I did a hard reset and deleted the reader's contents, then tried to install the hack and got all the same error messages as before.

can't i just reinstall the original firmware, then use the updater?

of course, that's if the original is available somewhere. I checked sony's site to no avail.
You can edit a file in the Reader's original installer to run (otherwise it detects it already has the latest firmware. I don't remember what it was, but it's in the forums if you search.

Try running the firmware flasher issued from Sony. It's definitely still available and you would have needed it to follow these steps anyway.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS505
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #88
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Going backto a different problem--When using the Customizer loaded on an SD card (Kingston 1GB microSD with adapter), the screen would almost freeze, with the greyed-out round arrows slowly moving once or twice per minute. I reformatted the SD card as FAT (as opposed to FAT32, the other option) and tried again. Worked like a charm!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #89
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
You can edit a file in the Reader's original installer to run (otherwise it detects it already has the latest firmware. I don't remember what it was, but it's in the forums if you search.

Try running the firmware flasher issued from Sony. It's definitely still available and you would have needed it to follow these steps anyway.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS505
The Sony Updater is an archive: decompress it into a directory and edit the file: PRSVersion.dat:

eBookUpdater/updaterAssets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat

That file contains a string 110018040 - change it to 110018041

The Sony Updater should then run and update your Reader.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #90
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Going backto a different problem--When using the Customizer loaded on an SD card (Kingston 1GB microSD with adapter), the screen would almost freeze, with the greyed-out round arrows slowly moving once or twice per minute. I reformatted the SD card as FAT (as opposed to FAT32, the other option) and tried again. Worked like a charm!
That's interesting! I've noticed that PRSCustomizer is sluggish under Windows (on the SD card - on the drive it's fine), but runs wicked fast under Linux and OS X. I'll have to try plain FAT.