Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #76
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
A hex on you Idolse

From a user perspective I think putting those sorts of checks in Quality Check is fine. The gate got opened when the "check EPUB for jacket" was asked for. May as well jam it open now

As for adding those features - well to be honest I wouldn't quite know where to start in terms of what I should be "looking for" etc for most of them. If you want to see them happen I would suggest one of two things. Either write all the changes yourself using the latest version of the plugin, send it to me and I will review it and release it. Or alternatively PM me some code snippets/pseudocode for what needs to be done for each and I will take a look at it after I clear some other things out of the way like the duplicate finder plugin.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #77
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I'll look into the plugin and pm/email you. I think all the building blocks are there already, just didn't want to jump into making unauthorized changes.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #78
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
  • Check epub for Adobe xpgt files. Extra credit for tying in the Calibre feature in the conversion pipeline which removes the margin from these files.
  • Check the epub manifest for embedded fonts
  • Check to see if the file was created through Calibre's conversion pipeline (css might be the most reliable check for epub, not sure about other formats).
  • Check for use of SVG files in epub (admittedly more complicated as they can either be defined inline in the html or as files.)
I'd suggest looking for two book jackets. Looking for two xhtml files starting with jacket inside the epub.

I used the missing book jacket feature, then reconverted with book jackets. Checking a second time found 80% of the books as still missing the book jacket because they had an existing old jacket that the plugin checks first before it is able to find the new jacket.

Personally I would love the option to remove all jacket*.xhtml files from the ePubs of selected books so I could start fresh with new jackets.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #79
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I'll look into the plugin and pm/email you. I think all the building blocks are there already, just didn't want to jump into making unauthorized changes.
Sounds great. I have no problem at all with others like yourself making changes/additions, particularly if as you have you have asked first and then send them to me for review/release.

What I prefer not to see is someone making changes and then posting a forked version on the thread with no discussion first. I think it confuses users as to which version they should download etc. I'm working on these every day so it isn't as if you would have to wait long for me to release once we agree the changes, and I always give credit for contributions if that is a concern.

Of course if/when I stop contributing to the forums then someone else would have to take over the whole plugin maintenance thing. I'm doing my best to ram the features in off the todo list before that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'd suggest looking for two book jackets. Looking for two xhtml files starting with jacket inside the epub.

I used the missing book jacket feature, then reconverted with book jackets. Checking a second time found 80% of the books as still missing the book jacket because they had an existing old jacket that the plugin checks first before it is able to find the new jacket.
Ahhh, I see the issue. Right now my check looks for any kind of jacket file, then looks for the calibre attribute on it and terminates the search at that point in that book. So if the first jacket file did not have the attribute, it says it has no jacket, even though the second jacket file does have the attribute.

I think that I should change the "Check has jacket" to look at all jacket files. And then add a new check of "Check multiple jackets" which does the additional request you have made.
Quote:
Personally I would love the option to remove all jacket*.xhtml files from the ePubs of selected books so I could start fresh with new jackets.
That's a good idea. I don't know how to implement it (yet) but I'll put it on the list. So you would use "Check EPUB has jacket" to display all the books with jackets, and then select them all (in your case), then use a "Remove EPUB jacket" on your selection. I know all the plumbing is there in Calibre to do it but it is a case of wiring it all in. It is one of those things that might be best done as a "job" that runs in the background I think like conversions do.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #80
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
That's a good idea. I don't know how to implement it (yet) but I'll put it on the list.
With everything you are currently tackling making the list is a good start.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #81
Loeffel
Connoisseur
Loeffel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I made a discovery today, but I am not sure if it is an error in the plugin or in Calibre itself. When I make a quality check for "no cover" then nothing is found anymore. It was running last week without problem. Unfortunately I had an update of the plugin and Calibre.
Loeffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #82
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loeffel View Post
I made a discovery today, but I am not sure if it is an error in the plugin or in Calibre itself. When I make a quality check for "no cover" then nothing is found anymore. It was running last week without problem. Unfortunately I had an update of the plugin and Calibre.
Did you fix them all? This is working for me and I have the latest version of the plugin and Calibre.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #83
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loeffel View Post
This is just a basic search cover:false it works fine using either the plugin or entering the search manually. No results means everything has a cover of some sort.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #84
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Searching for cover:false and cover:true are broken in 0.7.55. Will be fixed in 0.7.56. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/762133

In the meantime, you can search for cover:0 instead of cover:false and cover:1 instead of cover:true.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #85
Loeffel
Connoisseur
Loeffel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Thanks for the info.
Loeffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #86
kiwidude

v1.4.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix check for missing jacket which would incorrectly handle books with two jackets
  • Add check for multiple jackets
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #87
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Changes in this release:
  • Add check for multiple jackets
Worked great and faster than I thought it would be. Now I have 900+ books with two jackets and from a sizable sample it appears that jacket.xhtml is the one I want to be deleted from every book.

Is the removal of the extra jacket something you would consider for this plugin?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #88
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Any room left on that list?

Check for a TOC

Check for / remove META-INF\calibre_bookmarks.txt

likewise for the iTunes spoor ....
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #89
kiwidude

@dwanthny - thx for the feedback. Yes removing extra jackets is something I am considering, it is just down the priority list compared to a bunch of other plugins I have been trying to push new versions out of or release.

I think we need a special "EPUB" submenu that all these related checks get pushed onto (including Idolse's additions should he code them up). Would these "Remove jackets" and "Remove extra jackets" menu items be wanted to work only on selected rows or on the entire library? If it is just selected rows I need to make sure the menu items makes that obvious as all other functions in Quality check apply to your whole (if unrestricted) library.

@capnm
- Which TOC are you wanting to check for - the metadata TOC? I confess to still not having my head around this TOC stuff despite the FAQ entry. Could be one for Idolse...
- The calibre_bookmarks.txt would be easy enough to do a check for, and likewise remove once the plumbing is in place to do the same for multiple jackets (maybe even less work since perhaps it isn't listed in the epub's index of files?).
- I have no idea what "iTunes spoor" is?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #90
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
@capnm
- Which TOC are you wanting to check for - the metadata TOC? I confess to still not having my head around this TOC stuff despite the FAQ entry. Could be one for Idolse...
I'm not sure that this would even be possible - I'm pretty sure all epub's have to have an ncx file, which is basically the 'TOC'. The better question is does it have a 'good' TOC, which is a much harder question to answer, requiring a heuristic approach. I don't see myself tackling that problem. Then you've got the issue of supporting TOCs from different formats....

I think regarding the itunes spoor is that Apple puts stuff into the epub on their own similar to Calibre's bookmark file, except with Apple they don't even bother following spec and just embed proprietary data without listing it in the opf.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote