Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #16
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
New version of this hack has been released.

Changes in 0.3:

- Fixed serious issue causing damaged user store (redesigned, autosuspend the service when USB connection is detected)
- Curl now tries to use browser's cookies file
- Reporting now works in landscape mode
- Progress is displayed when downloading
- ZIP archives containing filenames with FAT32-illegal and non-ascii characters are not autounzipped
- Separate download directory can be defined for each extension
- No need to specify full paths for download directories
- In freedownload.conf Windows line endings are converted to UNIX line endings on start
- Added option that controls resuming/overwriting downloads
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
Hello! First of all, thanks to dsmid for their hard work at making this hack a reality. Having the ability to download files onto the kindle is a terrific idea!

But... Here's my problem. I have installed the hack successfully, but when I click on a pdf or mp3 url on a web page, a message flashes for a moment that says "FD: downloading *.mp3" then the usual "Kindle can't load this" message pops up. About 2 minutes later, I get the following error at the bottom on the screen "FD: Error while downloading *.mp3", where * is the file name. I would post log info, but nothing was outputted to the log in freedownload/freedownload.log.

Also, I notice that when plugging in the USB cord to xfer data; The Browser will not load a webpage after unplugging the USB. However, the kindle store will connect and load just fine. The only way around this that seemed to work was to reboot the device.

Kindle v3.0.2(529960105)
Hacks:
kindle-jailbreak-0.4.N
kindle-ss-0.18.N
freedownload_0.3
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #18
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
But... Here's my problem. I have installed the hack successfully, but when I click on a pdf or mp3 url on a web page, a message flashes for a moment that says "FD: downloading *.mp3" then the usual "Kindle can't load this" message pops up. About 2 minutes later, I get the following error at the bottom on the screen "FD: Error while downloading *.mp3", where * is the file name.
Some websites require logging in before you can download files. Such sites won't work with FreeDownload because FreeDownload does not share the browser's session.
What site is giving you these errors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
Also, I notice that when plugging in the USB cord to xfer data; The Browser will not load a webpage after unplugging the USB. However, the kindle store will connect and load just fine. The only way around this that seemed to work was to reboot the device.
FreeDownloads stops the browserd after plugging the USB and starts it again after unplugging just to make sure there are no conflicts. Sometimes the browserd doesn't start properly. I'll try to fix the problem somehow.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #19
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Any chance DropBox could work? I have noticed that I can download files from my public folder and I thought that maybe if I create a shareable link, it would also work. In fact, the hack downloads a file, but it is not the file itself (PDF in my case), just a webpage with an embedded flash to view the file without any PDF reader (doesn't work on Kindle) and a link to the file itself. The link itself again cannot be downloaded, probably for the same reasons normal DropBox files do not work... This would be a major improvement for this hack, because DropBox is such a great tool. Not to mention Gmail, bu there at least one can mail the attachment to one's own kindle mailbox.
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
dsmid
Linux devotee

DropBox public files do work but the problem with private files is the same I mentioned above - a session with logged in user is required. There's no chance it could work without some custom script.
I'll think about making such DropBox-specific script. It would require storing your DrobBox credentials in the config file.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-23-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #21
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
DropBox public files do work but the problem with private files is the same I mentioned above - a session with logged in user is required. There's no chance it could work without some custom script.
I'll think about making such DropBox-specific script. It would require storing your DrobBox credentials in the config file.
The script would be great, but what I was actually baffled by was that it doesn't work with a shareable link (that's the dd.tt type URL) - I'd imagine that a shareable link does not require any user data?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #22
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by otichy View Post
The script would be great, but what I was actually baffled by was that it doesn't work with a shareable link (that's the dd.tt type URL) - I'd imagine that a shareable link does not require any user data?
Actually 'shareable' does not mean 'world shareable' but shareable with other strictly defined DropBox accounts. That means you still need to be authorized.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
otichy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Actually 'shareable' does not mean 'world shareable' but shareable with other strictly defined DropBox accounts. That means you still need to be authorized.
But I don't mean shareable as in the "Sharing" feature of Dropbox, but rather the "shareable links" that you can create for any file/folder by selecting "Get shareable link". This link is then accessible by anybody (see the description of the feature here: http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?...41&replies=270)

But I don't want to turn it here into a DropBox forum, it is just a suggestion for a possible improvement, that would come very handy
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #24
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
But I don't mean shareable as in the "Sharing" feature of Dropbox, but rather the "shareable links" that you can create for any file/folder by selecting "Get shareable link". This link is then accessible by anybody (see the description of the feature here: http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?...41&replies=270)
I tried to download public link via FreeDownload at it worked. It was link to a file in Public folder, DropBox doesn't allow me to generate public links for private files in the web interface. It's the same in KDE and CLI.
Maybe Windows or Gnome client supports generating such links.
Do you have an example of such 'shareable link' ?

Last edited by dsmid; 02-24-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
otichy
Connoisseur

Quote:
I tried to download public link via FreeDownload at it worked. It was link to a file in Public folder, DropBox doesn't allow me to generate public links for private files in the web interface. It's the same in KDE and CLI.
Maybe Windows or Gnome client supports generating such links.
Do you have an example of such 'shareable link' ?
That's weird, I have that option for every file and folder - it's the first option when you click the blue arrow at the right when hovering over the file/folder. What you get is something like this: http://db.tt/qf1PE5z which gives you a viewable version of the file, if you have flash and a link to direct download like https://dl.dropbox.com/s/5t9r3l91bju...tions.pdf?dl=1
These seem to be completely public.

Btw, today I restarted Kindle and it was extremely unresponsive, so I logged in through putty and top reported the freedownload process taking some 98% of cpu - any idea what could have been happening? Could there be any problem when connected via USB, but not doing mass storage, rather a usbnetwork?
[EDIT] Just happened again - I noticed fsp was taking part of the load as well, when I killed freedownloader, fsp stopped being that active and all was well [/EDIT]

Last edited by otichy; 02-24-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #26
dsmid
Linux devotee

The problem was that the shareable links feature has to be activated first for your account by following https://www.dropbox.com/enable_shmodel .
The problem with https://dl.dropbox.com/s/5t9r3l91bju...tions.pdf?dl=1 is, that it doesn't have .pdf extension and thus doesn't qualify for downloading. I think I can make a workaround for that.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Could there be any problem when connected via USB, but not doing mass storage, rather a usbnetwork?
Maybe, I'll try to use a different approach in the next version. Could you send me an output of 'ps -f fax' and 'top b -n 1' commands next time it happens ?

BTW, nejsi náhodou Čech jako já ?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #28
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Does this hack work with the Kindle DX Graphite? please let me know
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #29
otichy
Connoisseur

I have meanwhile uninstalled freedownloader, because it was driving me nuts, but once I resolve my problems with wpa_supplicant I'll install again and send the output if the error reoccurs. It seems there were some changes done to the network configuration in fw 3.1 which I have now installed...

BTW jasne, id uner z ebookfora
Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #30
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewandeep View Post
Does this hack work with the Kindle DX Graphite? please let me know
I don't know. I don't have Kindle DX so I cannot test it.

Tags
hacks